seed storage and dessicants

crow

There's been some discussion in Hashy's diary re the storage of seeds with dessicants and I did not want to hijack his thread so sharing this here...

I was concerned because I have silica dessicants in with my seeds.

I found this info on the seedsman site http://www.seedsman.com/en/seed-storage

... Silica gel, often used in the drying of seeds, can also be used to help maintain stable moisture levels within a permanent storage container. Equal weights of silica gel to seed are used. In general hemp seeds weigh between 0.01 and 0.02 grams and our silica gel sachets contain 0.5g....

I had too many sachets (thinking more was better :doh: ) so I have now removed most.

Not saying this is correct, but sounds logical enough to convince me to use a whole lot less dessicant. 

It would seem dessicants are only harmful in excess (as surmised by SPH).

Hi crowsange :bongon:

Very timely lol  Yes, I am wondering wtf after I tried to germ like 25 seeds for 4 seedlings....  good beans all.  No bagseed. :scratchin:

Reading the input so far has pointed out to me the need for a desiccant of sorts.  I am in an area that fluctuates rh from 20% to 95% regularly but as always summer is usually more damp-not many days below 50%. 

I usually store any seeds in their package/sachet/straw, then in to a mason jar (no desiccant) and in a cool dark corner of a Very Private Nook.

Non-germination could very well have been other factors like cold and a scrambled grower but it really got me thinking.  The last 2 times I have had a bit of trouble with germination but this time was ridiculous. 

I have never had  any problems otherwise that I couldn't put down to my error or omission so I'm thinking I need to look after them better.  The seeds I have now are all top-notch genetics and I wouldn't want to lose any I didn't have to :) 

Are desiccant sachets the way to go? Rice?  How much rice?  Is there one desiccant that is preferable to otheres? 

Where would I look to buy some? Online? Shops?  What are other methods?

Cheers for the post crowsange, good growing to you.

Faith :sun:

I am going to go against the grain here. I used to store all my seeds with dessicants but after losing my whole seed stash. I removed the dessicants. Javnt had an issue since. Who knows maybe there was some other issue at play but im not risking it again.

Now i just think so many good strains no need to hoard them. Just buy fresh when you need them and store in the fridge short term

Seeds will sprout if it's too moist and die if it's too dry.  Does anyone know the exact numbers and the optimal storage percentage for long term storage?  I've always kept my seeds in baggies in a jar that has a desiccant in it which is has been randomly chosen from a bottle of multivitamins or something similar so all the seeds are treated equally within the jar but I've got no clue as to what the humidity is inside the jar or the individual bags at all.

Hey Stoners, for a few years now, I have been vacuum sealing my weed, seeds and pollen, which can be frozen or just in a fridge.

Seeds last up to 4 years, I never keep any longer. Pollen I keep in the fridge for 2 years, bud usually dosnt last more than 12 months, before its smoked by then. Happy growin.

I just had some really old, like seven or eight years old, c99 seeds sprout.  I only got 7/10 but they've been to hell and back in terms of moving interstate, being buried for six months in a compost bin, etc. so I don't think they faired too badly all things considered.