CoCo - cal\mag

Hi All, 

Just a thought I wanted to pass as I have found a few different answers. 

if your coco grow seems to need a cal\mag addition - could one use a small amount of liquid dolomite to give the additional cal\mag? 

something like... adding 5ml per liter to a normal feed and PH it down to 5.8? 

Hi All, 

Just a thought I wanted to pass as I have found a few different answers. 

if your coco grow seems to need a cal\mag addition - could one use a small amount of liquid dolomite to give the additional cal\mag? 

something like... adding 5ml per liter to a normal feed and PH it down to 5.8? 

Black Strap molasses is what I use(d) has heaps of trace minerals and has a decent hit of Cal and Mag too

1Teaspoon  disolved in  1-2L of feed water, not as big of a hit (ca/mg) as lime

500ml jar is about $5 at Coles - must be Black Strap Molasses

(I've not used dolomite for many years- don't remember much about using it)

My $0.02

• Upvote 3

Black Strap molasses is what I use(d) has heaps of trace minerals and has a decent hit of Cal and Mag too

1Teaspoon  disolved in  1-2L of feed water, not as big of a hit (ca/mg) as lime

500ml jar is about $5 at Coles - must be Black Strap Molasses

Good one Matti, I've used BSM in my soil grows but had it in my head you shouldn't use it for hydro.  Good to know otherwise.  Do you apply regularly throughout grow?

EDIT/ Sorry bit slow today, it's because the BSM is helpful to the soil micro organisms or something like that and that's not applicable to hydro.  But is obviously still useful as a mineral supplement as well.

Edited by crowsange
  • Upvote 1

I've used liquid dolomite when prepping coco, but have found that if I make sure my starting pH is 5.8, or slightly lower, the plants can access all the Ca and Mg they need from the base nutrients.

And shop around for molasses, black strap molasses from the local feed merchant costs me $1 per litre... it's used in winter feed supplements for cattle and horses.

• Upvote 4

I use blackstrap mollasss too! Make sure its the unsulphured kind!

If you use dolomite it will try and buffer the PH to7!, so not for coco/ perlite medium, more for supersoil mixes. If using proper coco nutrients and coco you should not need calmag, But they are designed for straight coco medium , If you add too much perlite it can upset the balance I've found.

Edited by DailyTokin
  • Upvote 2