To trim or not to trim

Allo All, 

I didn't think I would be asking this fairly simple question just yet - seems hotly debated too lol

In discussion with my house mate - in an outdoor situation we would most likely trim these big sun leafs to allow light to the lower section of the plant.

But being they are 3.5 weeks in veg from poping first water leafs in the seed tray - I am not so sure.

Thoughts?

post-46252-0-06931300-1430640352_thumb.jpg

post-46252-0-69875100-1430640354_thumb.jpg

post-46252-0-72780900-1430640358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Razz0r

No don't do that.

Here's why. The fan leaves are the factory that build the bud. They collect the solar energy needed to make a healthy bud at that site. If you trim the top of the plant to allow the lower branches to 'catch up' you are simply wasting that amount of energy in strem stretch to move the lower bud up to the top of the canopy. AND robbing the top colas of their potential because they dont have their own 'factory' or fan leaves.

Though the idea of getting more light to the growth sights is sound, don't accidentally grow a lot more stem. LST is the answer. Most of wich is done during veg and the early stretch in 12/12; about 21 days. Then you let her grow into the availble light; she knows what she is doing so hands off during flowering is the best pollicy.

Have fun.

Edited by iTiC
  • Upvote 2

At thank you sir :) 

I love learning! lol They will be left as is. 

Just on the note of the stretch - wanting to sex them at the end of next week - figured I should lift the light to get them to stretch up a little.... or just let the flowering do that? 

Why thank you sir ;) 

Gave them full strength charliecarp today since they needed a water - should be 2-3 days before they need their next water (From today\tonight)

I checked and had the light height giving 31k lux - so dimmed to 400w and lowered till I got the same reading - its keep temps about the same - 26-27 so I am happy with that and I'll keep monitoring ;) 

Thursday is sexing day - 12/12 or 6/18? I am thinking 12/12 should show their bit in 3-4 days then back to veg with the fems after a transplant ;) 

No don't do that.

Here's why. The fan leaves are the factory that build the bud. They collect the solar energy needed to make a healthy bud at that site. If you trim the top of the plant to allow the lower branches to 'catch up' you are simply wasting that amount of energy in strem stretch to move the lower bud up to the top of the canopy. AND robbing the top colas of their potential because they dont have their own 'factory' or fan leaves.

Though the idea of getting more light to the growth sights is sound, don't accidentally grow a lot more stem. LST is the answer. Most of wich is done during veg and the early stretch in 12/12; about 21 days. Then you let her grow into the availble light; she knows what she is doing so hands off during flowering is the best pollicy.

Have fun.

That is debatable as fan leaves help with stretch and start flowering process. Once stretch period is over I have seen those striping most leaves and increase greater bud development compared to leaving them on. But that's something I'm going to experiment within my grows to see if that is in fact a better option for smaller grows.

• Upvote 2

Interesting, a comparison grow would be worth it. Or maybe trim the fan leaves off one branch of a grow and see how that branch compares with the rest at harvest time. This would be a better method. Trying to duplicate two grows is almost impossible; there are too many variables that can effect output.

Edited by iTiC