seedlings: odd leaf development

Take your time give them a good few days to dry and the repot them to a bigger pot which you have already pre-soaked the soil. Give them a light watering and then leave them alone...when you press your finger into the soil if it feels dry up until your second knuckle then water until runoff.....repeat as necessary. Hardest part is to stop fiddling with them and "adding kindness" K.I.S.S. Principle

Watering/Feeding Frequency: As needed, once, twice a day

Lighting Type (CFL/HPS/MH etc.): 400w HPS (only providing warmth at the moment), 2x24w CFLs

Growth Stage: seedling

I made this 'mistake' when I first started as I'm sure did many others.

I would use one or the other with the lighting. If your going with the CFL's then turn the HPS lamp off. If your using the 400w lamp then ditch the CFL's and HPS and use the MH globe but make sure the MH lamp is at a good distance until the sprout.

I am about 1 week or so ahead of you with my current grow and I didn't use CFL's. I have had my 400w MH bulb doing the work for me. I started it at around 1 - 1.2 metres away from the soil and left it there until they sprouted and showed the first 2 true leaves (Not the first 2 leave that come out with the with the shell!).

After that I edged the light down by around 5cm - 8cm each day. it is currently at 2ft away from the soil and this is where I will leave it for a few weeks now. The plants are getting enoiugh light and heat at that distance and they aren't stretching.

I have only watered the once since I planted them (1 litre between 5 plants) as the soil is dry on top but still very moist underneither (Pushing your finger in just past the 2nd knuckle as mentioned before).

I have used a spray bottle on the 'mist' setting a few times to give them all a slight dampening and the top soil a little something but no more than 3 squirts of the trigger.

Everything else has been covered by others, just don't get overwelmed with information, take it slow and have patience. It can be very easy to try and get ahead of yourself and become disheartened but have faith and within a week or so you'll be grinning from ear to ear cos they will be thanking you with glourious green leaves!

Best of luck bra and don't forget, no question is too stupid or 'n00bish'' and theres heaps of people who are willing to help you through your first, second or one hundreth grow!

Edited by Matt_FTW

Hi All,

A bit of an update - sorry no pictures this time.

Before I had read any of the replies saying not to change pots, I went ahead and changed in to 20cm pots with a mix of perlite, searles 5-in-1 and premium potting mix. I've also cut back the watering and removed the CFL's. The healthier of the two plants is doing much better, but unfortunately the runt is not. It has new growth which is coming through *very* slowly which looks healthy, but its progress is very much stunted. This same plant also had the seed case stuck to its cotyledon which I needed to remove. This held it back a day or two.

The reason I had the HPS and CFL's going was I wanted the seedlings under CFL until they were big enough for the full force of the HPS, but the room was too cold without it, hence both lights. While they were not directly under the HPS, I think I had too much light on them. The CFL was also too close in hindsight (about 5cm away).

So; lesson learnt. Don't have CFL's too close and don't run both lights on seedlings. I think I cooked them.

I've also taken to watering every second day as per the other advice. Obviously even small amounts of water each day is too much.

I'll try and get some photos uploaded on the weekend. But for now, I sit tight and watch.

Question: I intend on feeding seasol once they're old enough. When should I begin feeding?

Thats good news bra. Pleased for you.

As for the watering every 2nd day...is that because they need it or you think your doing the right thing?

Not having a go but at such a young age you could still be over watering them.

I have had mine in the spil for around 10 - 11 days and 7 days since they sprouted. I haven't done a proper water yet, I have just misted the surrounding soil twice as the soil underneath is still nicely moist.

I will probably do a water in a day or so.

As for nute feeding...not yet. Wait a few weeks until they have the 4th or 5th set of leaves showing and then do alternate feeding schedules with plain water and nutes.

But yea...deffo try and get some pics up and or start a grow post in  the Grow Diaries section ay~!

i wouldnt worry to much about the runt

maybe its just more effected than the others

id guess it should bounce back once it establishes itself and a root zone

another good way to guide for watering

is lifting the pots

next time u water lift the pot and feel the weight

u dont really need to water till the pot is a bit lighter

although depending on the perlite ratio u have u may have to water more frequently

but again the pot lifting method is a simple effective tool.

all the best

The soil seems to dry out real quick. I haven't watered today, but may do tomorrow depending on what the moisture is like underneath.

The new growth on both plants looks healthy so I think I'm in the clear now *phew*

Question: how far should a 400watt HPS be from plants of this age? I can't afford much stretch with such a low height area to grow in.

Around 2ft away is fine. Is it the HPS globe you have running or the MH at present? If it's the HPS then maybe a bit further depending how good your extraction is. Don't wanna over heat the lil bastards.

Only you know how dry / damp your medium is but honestly, don't water then unless you really really think they need it. And the top soil will always feel drier, it's no worry.

They can and will survive very well without water, not for excessive time periods but deffo more than a few days. Hence why its called weed, cos it is a weed.

But if your still worried, just mist the top soil with 2 or 3 squirts every 36-48 hours u til your absolutely sure they need water.

I watered for the first time today since planting and that's been 12 days!

Like they already said, a moisture meter will help heaps and so will some picture if you can get some up.

Hi All,

Me again, uploading some photos this time. The runt of the two has picked up in the last day or so and is adding new leaves. Even the badly damaged leaves have added on some size and general appearance of health.

Nothing much to add, haven't watered yet, but the soil is pretty dry. Might assess tomorrow and give a drink if required. The room has been sitting around 20/21 degrees and 48-50% humidity during the day.

First up, room setup. The doorway is about 5 foot high. The room expands out to the right (off frame). Sorry about lights on, I couldn't get a decent shot with the HPS off.

post-56251-0-00452000-1431087971_thumb.jpg

Group Shot:

post-56251-0-73763200-1431088013_thumb.jpg

Healthier of the two plants:

post-56251-0-18017600-1431087994_thumb.jpg

First pic of the runt:

post-56251-0-41597500-1431088050_thumb.jpg

Second pic of the runt:

post-56251-0-80570400-1431088036_thumb.jpg