Canna Terra Professional

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

I started my seeds off with the good old water and then paper towel method and got 100% success rate with 8 seeds on 2 different occasions.

Trouble is, when I have gone to the second stage of germinatipon and put the seeds in the medium to sprout things have taken a turn for the worse.

On the first go I placed 4 seeds in individual 'Party Cups' from the bottle shop with cling wrap on top etc etc. 1 Sprouted but shortly died off and 3 did nothing.

The second attemp I decided to do the same but instead of cling wrap I used a propagation house. Non of the 4 came out to play. :(

I have grown before but not over here in Australia. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary and checked teh PH levels of the water etc so I can only assume its the soil.

I have 60x60X160 tent with a 400w light which is currently on MH lighting 18h schedule. It is, give or take, around 80cm from the top soil.

Yesterday I placed another 6 seeds in water but this time I have chucked in some autos. The last 8 seeds were normal feminized.

So...has anyone used this Canna stuff before and if so, what are your thoughts / opinions?

This is the stuff if your not sure what i'm on abouyt... http://www.hydroexperts.com.au/~207

I use it with no problems. The proffesional canna terra has some nutrients in it that could be too hot for the seedlings. I use seed potting mix to germinate my seeds then when they look nice and healthy and strong transplant into the terra. Nothing over the top of the pot, they need to breathe in co2 and can't do that if covered with cling wrap.I start off with 130 watt CFL until they are strong enough to use a hps. Like billy said 400 watt is probably over kill at the start. I have also discovered seeds wont germinate if the medium is too cold. Well thats how it works for me, everyone has different methods, you just have to find yours. Aus climate does have its own idiosyncrancies (spelling?) from state to state.

I know right. It's a bit of a mission at times to get everything spot on.

The cling wrap was used to keep the humidity levels up and it has worked in the past but not this time, hense the purchace of the prop house.

I do have a good fan circulating air around the tent and my exhaust running too.

Reads out are coming in at around 28 - 32 degrees in temp and between 55 - 65 humidity.

I think with these autos i have germing now I will chuck them in under the HPS light as opposed to starting with the MH.

Any sugestions on your preffered potting mix before transplanting into the final, Canna T P pots?

I've used it for all of my grows never really had a problem with it.

I start all my seeds like you in paper towel then transfer to jiffy pots / pellets - http://www.jiffypot.com/en/products/jiffy7.html

after they have sprouted and i can see a tap root coming out the bottom I just transfer straight into the canna terra which has been watered thoroughly and drained then mixed up so it's not so dense.

Edited by The Stoned Jester

The problem is not the Canna Terra. Have used it before with good results.

If you're feeling a bit hesitant you can't go wrong with a good quality seed raising mix and just keep persevering. Once you do get going be sure to make your own fresh seeds and I doubt you will have any worries after that.

:peace:

• Upvote 1

Hey bud. I'm here in oz too. I'm using canna terra for the first time this grow. I too am growing under 400w but mine is hps. I found sprouting seeds in moist paper towel. Then placing sprouted seed in rock wool. Got it from hydro shop. About $2.50 for 10. Keep it moist.

Once the lil mullys have there 3rd set of leaves I placed the plant in canna terra. Rock wool and all. 18 hours light. Half strength nutes at first. I also put about 3cm of perlite balls on top of canna terra in pot. This helps keep nasty bugs from colonising in the terra. And also mould from moisture.

Also. I ensure run off every feed to stop a build up nutes. And I really suggest a product called "Drive" from Grow Research. This stuff is awesome for root development.

Healthy roots = excellent fruits. ( buds).

Hope this helps.

Nimbin mardi grass this weekend. Hope to see yas all there. Peace.

I know right. It's a bit of a mission at times to get everything spot on.

The cling wrap was used to keep the humidity levels up and it has worked in the past but not this time, hense the purchace of the prop house.

I do have a good fan circulating air around the tent and my exhaust running too.

Reads out are coming in at around 28 - 32 degrees in temp and between 55 - 65 humidity.

I think with these autos i have germing now I will chuck them in under the HPS light as opposed to starting with the MH.

Any sugestions on your preffered potting mix before transplanting into the final, Canna T P pots?

Yates seed raising mix it what I mainly use, there are others. Visit Bunnings and you should find a good one.

Cheers for the come back guys, some good shit from people who have used it already.

I'm close to the point of sacking it off and starting all over again with what I know from before back in the UK but I'm going to give it one last shot.

One other thing that's playing on my mind with this medium is the PH levels. I have an alright PH tester but it's either getting on a bit or has been damaged somehow cos I'm getting a soil reading between 6.8 and 8.1