browning and curling leaves

gday all i have my problems im not sure if have some nute burn or some heat stress as i have just 1 layer of fan leaves that are browning, curling and it looks like they will die. the newer growth above these leaves looks ok to me i have pics of the brown leaves and the newer growth any advice would be great thanks all. i am a bit confused as i replanted into bigger pots with those brunnings bricks and perlite first time i have used these products i gave them a rinse but not a big one.  i gave plain 5.8ph water first feed all was good next feed i gave them my normal nutes which i have not had any problems with so far the next day i get brown edges, then then brown is spreading to what you see in the pics below. there was one day i did let the plants get a little to close to the light about a week ago, i was leaning towards that but the new medium is throwing me off i should have stuck with the more expensive hydro shop coco for now. also the brunnings coco blocks say they have micro organisms what are they and will they do any harm with my nutes being added do you think.

post-55624-0-24634500-1429225801_thumb.jpgpost-55624-0-06799200-1429225934_thumb.jpgpost-55624-0-67657400-1429225673_thumb.jpg

now the next pics are of the newer growth above the brown leaves all looking nice again but i have only fed plain 5.8 phed water since last friday i need to water tonight im a little worried haha. especially as i really need to send this girl into flower as she is getting big fast

post-55624-0-09335800-1429226472_thumb.jpgpost-55624-0-45011100-1429226620_thumb.jpg

" im not sure if have some nute burn or some heat stress "

​yup, it is one of those two...

More inclind to think it is a bit of nutrient/salt burn (could be from the bricks of coco?)

If it is isolated (just that one set of leaves at the same height) and the new growth is good - don't worry about it

Do start feeding it nutrients again

otherwise nice looking plant!

hey mate

have alook at this poster

lifted from a post from TheStonedJester!

thanks Jester!

thanks mate but i dont think it is  any of those things.

" im not sure if have some nute burn or some heat stress "

​yup, it is one of those two...

More inclind to think it is a bit of nutrient/salt burn (could be from the bricks of coco?)

If it is isolated (just that one set of leaves at the same height) and the new growth is good - don't worry about it

Do start feeding it nutrients again

otherwise nice looking plant!

thanks mata yeah im about to feed her today im a bit scared though as i want to send her to flower. i cant find anything on those brunnigs coco peat bricks but i did find on the brunnings perlite pack that it says to mix with the coco peat to make a potting mix so im thinking it has some form of nutes in it. will know tomorrow for sure i guess mata haha.

I wouldn't be worried about them, they look like the bottom set of leaves? are they, if so they probably about due to brown and drop off anyway. pluck any leaves that have browned and give the feed you want too. if they brown off again maybe need to adjust something then. they are nice looking healthy plants otherwise.

don't worry about the coco peat it will settle in, the micro organisms they talk about are good for your plant like what is found in a real garden, they more protect than cause probs.

can I ask how much perlite you used in your mix?  as perlite has an alkaline ph of around 7-7.5 and can cause fluoride burn on foliage plants that prefer more acidic conditions.

also if you washing your perlite with water that has it added by your local council, you don't really wash much out, it does happen but using a filtered water source would be more beneficial.

so if you gonna use perlite wash it properly, looking at your plant more now it does look like fluoride burn but should go away soon because you been flushing with fresh ph water.

can I ask how much perlite you used in your mix?  as perlite has an alkaline ph of around 7-7.5 and can cause fluoride burn on foliage plants that prefer more acidic conditions.

also if you washing your perlite with water that has it added by your local council, you don't really wash much out, it does happen but using a filtered water source would be more beneficial.

so if you gonna use perlite wash it properly, looking at your plant more now it does look like fluoride burn but should go away soon because you been flushing with fresh ph water.

gday mate im using around a 60/40 coco perlite mix and yeah i didnt rinse that either im a dummy. also i use that stuff you put in fish tanks to kill heavy metals in the tap water im not sure if it does sulfur or not.

do you or have you taken the ph of the soil itself, I think it maybe a bit low, if so you can add a bit of calcium to bring the ph up and it keeps fluoride levels from affecting the plant.

the calcium joins with the fluoride, to become calcium fluoride which is a relatively insoluble mineral. the calcium stops the fluoride from dissolving in water making it unavailable to the plants roots.

the fluoride is from the perlite, it is a byproduct of the process to make the perlite from superheated volcanic glass. other superphosphates(fertilizers) also have fluroride in them so watch what you are using.

as for the fish tank stuff I don't think it would really do anything,

Edited by sunnycoaststoner

do you or have you taken the ph of the soil itself, I think it maybe a bit low, if so you can add a bit of calcium to bring the ph up and it keeps fluoride levels from affecting the plant.

the calcium joins with the fluoride, to become calcium fluoride which is a relatively insoluble mineral. the calcium stops the fluoride from dissolving in water making it unavailable to the plants roots.

the fluoride is from the perlite, it is a byproduct of the process to make the perlite from superheated volcanic glass. other superphosphates(fertilizers) also have fluroride in them so watch what you are using.

as for the fish tank stuff I don't think it would really do anythinthanks mate the fish tank stuff is to kill the ammonia and any chlorine not so much kill it just lower it to be alot better for the plant. bottle syas it removes up to 3.0 ppm of combined chlorine and 1.3 ppm of ammonia. no idea if it helps or not haha . im not using soil mate im using coco and run off is 5.7 last check i will check again on wed im letting them dry out trying to kill these gnats before i sent my new lot into flower. already have one plant flowering with gnats i dont want to starve her to much for food but i will let it go 1 extra day.

also things seem ok now i think it was as you all said i didnt flush the media enough all new growth is nice and green now if only for these gnats they would be in flower today.

and go the blues again this year haha