First time grow set up advice..250w or 400w for a 0.6 x 0.6 space?

Thanks for the advice! I'm going with a 600w hps in a 1x1x2 space. Just need to pick out the medium and figure out the nutes...and I'm ready to go  :yahoo:

Is a Coco:Perlite medium considered a soiless medium? All these different nutes have got me confused...are hydroponic nutes like the General Hydroponic trio and Canna Terra suitable for a soil (coco:perlite) medium? 

Can't help ya with the coco as thats something I am looking in to... but as I understand it Canna does the terra range for soil. 

When it comes to soil lots of people have all sorts of different nuts and feeders. Some just use dynamic lifter - I have read that Seasol is doing wonders. 

Personally I am using Charliecarp for veg, this has worked great for outdoor so since I am using soil indoor I am stickin with it for now - haven't decided what I'll be using for flower - I'll tackle that one later when the time comes ;) 

However - I should have said that running a 600w in my tent - in my tents location works. I can see however outside of winter cooling it down will be an issue and will require some damn good fans and more ducting. 

Do your self this favour - get a digital ballast that you can dim your lights with - so if you find the 600w is too much and you are having issues with the heat you can dim it down to 400w. 

I picked up a Solis Tek digital ballast and well - honestly I am glad I didn't get anything else. 

Its a bit of kit that you will keep for a long time so its worth spending the money on. (And I am also a first time indoor grower!)

Edited by Razz0r

Have you guys tried using those fabric geo-pots? I heard those are really good but can't say from experience! What kind of pots do you guys use?

Hey OzzieWauie,

Bit late chiming in here sorry.

I've used both the fabric pots and the hard plastic rocket pots .  In my experience so far, plants seem to perform best in the rocket pots.  They are also easier to transplant up from.  I would definitely only use the fabric ones for the final pot.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mRx9C2Uj5UhN4-dMiEPyxDw.jpg  This is what I mean by rocket pot.

I personally think 400w would be heaps for you razor you would dave 1/3 your elec and get the same results

Same results??

I have been thinking about this.. but the 600w is keeping the tents temps nice as well. But I guess I would need less cooling for the 400w.

Does the 600w give a little extra fast grow or the 400w or nope? guessing have the 400w down to about 12" if the 600w is about 14ish" yeah?

Same results??

I have been thinking about this.. but the 600w is keeping the tents temps nice as well. But I guess I would need less cooling for the 400w.

Does the 600w give a little extra fast grow or the 400w or nope? guessing have the 400w down to about 12" if the 600w is about 14ish" yeah?

your plants can only use a certain amount of light, after that point you really need to start running co2 to see any benefit. i would suggest downloading a light meter app on your phone and just sussing out what sort of lumens your getting with each lamp.

and see what you think. you may decide to run the 600w its your choice. in the end thats what its all about doing what you feel is right.

• Upvote 2

Hey Ford, I just took at look at your dow griary, freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

For a 1m x 1m x 2m space, I think 400W is about right..or the minimum(?)..but is 600W too much? I'm a total noob so please excuse my ignorance  :x

600W will fill a 1.4x1.4x2.0 with a 60 L tub in a perlite recirc. in a 1x1x2 600W is probably a maximum if you can control ambient temps