What's the quickest way to identify a female from mixed seed?

Does tempreture have any baring on M/F ratio's, cold snap more males, warm spring more females

Or are the sex of seeds pre determined, and doesn't matter what happens.

Ive tested the cold thing as I wanted a male plant for pollen and I got all females from 6 fresh seeds ,tried again and got 1 male out of 6. Usually when I want a male I get all females and when Im no fussed I get 1 or 2 males..Ive tried cold germ, shock warm to cold germ.. Ive tried shocking the small plants and got Herm's ..To me it seems Pre Determined.

Im about to look at my regular seed and fem seed under my feild scope and see if there is a difference as suggested earlier.. 

Will report back..

• Upvote 1

Ive tested the cold thing as I wanted a male plant for pollen and I got all females from 6 fresh seeds ,tried again and got 1 male out of 6. Usually when I want a male I get all females and when Im no fussed I get 1 or 2 males..Ive tried cold germ, shock warm to cold germ.. Ive tried shocking the small plants and got Herm's ..To me it seems Pre Determined.

Im about to look at my regular seed and fem seed under my feild scope and see if there is a difference as suggested earlier.. 

Will report back..

Why I asked is, I had 20 out of 24 go male last year, had a massive cold spell for a couple of weeks at the wrong time, didn't bother me only grow 6 or less outside and its nice to have a big selection of males, no choice with the girls though,

one was a keeper, the fruitiest shit I've ever grown

it was strange, seeds usually favour the girls 60/40 or there about

You can also identify them early because of their structure and height compared to other canna plants in your garden.... watch the internodes. Their growth pattern is also different. Might need a keen eye to notice anything ive mentioned here but with experience it becomes a lot easier to identify males early... Edited by _Puff_Tough_
  • Upvote 1

There is nohard and fast way to determine outside of clones ....

This seed diagram is a help but not a certainty..

I have found you have good or better outcomes from observation....as mentioned above..

And sometimes leaving them in groups ....I swear they know if there is other plants around .....you will get more favourable outcomes .

Growing 3 patches of 12 plants over 3 years will end up with 3 different outcomes ...but fresh new viable seed ...has higher F outcomes.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by cardrona

If your temps are high you can expect more males..... The quickest way is to get a sex test kit, theyre available.... use duckduckgo search to find them online .... "Cannabis sex test kit" .. cheers

Sorry Temp has nothing to do with it Mel Franks and Ben Dronkers have already tested that theory .. It is 100% pre determined .. 

Feminised seed... The hint is right there.. 

Silver is used to make Male flowers with females genetic's in the pollen then the Pollen is used on female buds to produce 99.9% female seeds... No heat involved

I have tried to force seed to produce males with heat and cold...Made no difference. 

Why I asked is, I had 20 out of 24 go male last year, had a massive cold spell for a couple of weeks at the wrong time, didn't bother me only grow 6 or less outside and its nice to have a big selection of males, no choice with the girls though,

one was a keeper, the fruitiest shit I've ever grown

it was strange, seeds usually favour the girls 60/40 or there about

From Ben Dronkers research ( Sensi Seed owner) What you may have is 20 Herm's that are predominantly Male due to temperature shock ,but not 100% males .. Or Just really bad luck ..lol

Ben is also the Guy who pioneered using Colloidal Silver to feminise Seeds and has over 40 years of Breeding experience ( 30 as Sensi Seed's) If anyone has tested how to turn plants Male or Female this guy has tried .. 

• Upvote 1