I bought a diamond series DS XML 350

They are a highly reputable brand with 10watt full spectrum LEDs in with the regular mix of 3watts.

Many ppl are happy with the old 3watt diamond series, they are overkill for veg and can easily flower.

But the xml is scary good...anyone doubts them go google xml650.

Not publicly released but they provided some to a couple of blades who have done some grows with them.

The cynicism here about LED's is getting tiresome, sure 5 years ago the LED's were below par...but now they are easily on par with results.

Just because the journal is done in US doesn't make the results any less valid.

Cost is still up there but brands like Mars are a cheaper alternative (though dont currently do 10watt led's).

Led's wont save you massive amounts, but there is less heat and cooling issues (though you still need to address both those areas), the lifespan of the bulbs is a massive bonus, as is the modular design advanced now use.

Sixty-Eght you do not need 600watt of true led draw to match a 600wat HPS, you will easily match it with a 400watt true draw..the 650 is on par with a 1000w HPS..and it draws around 600 watts.

The amount of outdated belief about the technology are amazing, the only draw back currently is the costs, but they are coming down.

1watt LED's were only good for Veg.

3 watt could bud, but you needed to scrog.

5 watt reduced that issue

10 watt full spectrum all but removes any of the penetration issues (especially if limited to tent height).

Great first post hakenspit, shame you didn't actually read the thread before pontificating.

The thing Nay and I (and the original poster's Dad) were getting at is that it's a false economy to purchase an expensive unit simply because it has low running costs. A T5 set up would have cost around $100, the LED retails around $1000... it's going to be many years before the economy of the LED's running costs outweigh it's purchase price in comparison with running the much cheaper T5 set up.

This isn't cynicism, it's basic economics.

Oh I read it loiuse, as I have many other over the last 6 years plus years.

The comments were all around what a waste of money, LED's shit and he should have bought something else.

Would love to know how many here have used the diamond series let alone the XML version to be able to make such a statement.

Look up mars lighting, you will find those more cost effective options. You do not need to spend 1000 dollars on a veg LED

The light I linked WILL out perform a 1000watt HPS, its true draw at 650watts and the 10watt full spectrum LED eliminate any worries about penetration.

So if I dont need to run the additional 400 watts I would to use a HPS is that not a saving on elec? To be claiming only 30% efficiency is hardly unreaslistic when you consider the directional nature of the light alone.

You could get a decent LED for about 200 if oyu just want to veg...so once you factor in bulb replacement over a few years its not such a false economy...especially once you factor in environmental impacts of neon tubes.

To even compare modern LED tech to t5 shows absolute ignorance of where the technology is at, hence my comment about the cynicism about LED tech.

It was many years about 3 years ago, we are all but there now, whilst the cutting edge (which is what 10 watts are) will always be more costly...its new, production processes are not streamlined etc.

But the cots of 3 watt systems is now dropping even further...they make a decent flower light...they can easily deal with Veg.

Then there are the 5 watt LEDs which have been in use for about 2-3 years from memory which will also drop.

I have seen many others come here over the years and be ridiculed for recommending LED...sorry but its cynicism.

When and what was the last LED any of you actually bought and ran a cycle with?

What was the actual draw, what watt LED etc?

This is not directed at you specifically Louise, but I have sat here quietly over the last 6 or so years and continue to see anyone who even looks at LED told they have wasted their money, from ppl who dont actually use the tech (use as in current not 5+ years ago...heck even 3 years is badly outdated now)...or are even seemingly across the changes (as 1k was the cost of a decent light 3 years ago...for over 18 months mars has been offering good value).

The light he purchased is overkill, but a very good light...he has not wasted his money...but would be better using to to flower (either alone or with supplemental (if its bigger than say a 1.2 x 1.2 space). He can save money using an LED, sure there is still some heat (especially with 10watt) but nothing compared to HPS, so cooling costs will be slightly cheaper....nothing massive but he could probably see a 5-15% reduction (would be more but getting too cold becomes an issue with LEDs so heaters are needed at times).

I love the info on this site and its great to have local information...but the understanding of the current LED tech is not the strong point here...the tech has come on in massive leaps and bounds...without all the hype that was around 7-8 years ago.

They dont have to cost over 1k either.

I really do encourage you guys to go and look around at some of the latest grows (yes means visiting other sites) and seeing what the tech can do...but also look into brands like mars.

Edited by hakenspit

This is the one comment that seems related to the thread...

You do not need to spend 1000 dollars on a veg LED

...exactly, which is why the op's dad was pissy with him for spending so much money.

If you wish to continue to pontificate about LEDs, feel free. It's not a discussion I am interested in pursuing.

• Upvote 1

It is sadly true though. This community and realistically the aussie community in general are a bit set in there ways and leds dont recieve the warmest reception here. I don't really like them for my own reasons but I certainly havnt dismissed them.

its funny when I used to grow with the old phillips cmh lights everybody used to tell me they were no good. They wouldnt grow buds. They did I proved that time and again still no one believed me. Even the phillips reps shut me down.

funny though how quickly all that changed when phillips rebranded there cmh as lec and now they are the hottest thing going lol

I see leds the same way. Its not until some skilled growers come in here and really show them off that impressions will change. Unfortunately most of the growers jumping onto the led bandwagon are newer growers who dont do the lights justice. I have seen excellent led grows by friends on other forums. They can be great in the right hands

Well his dads is a fool, nothing wrong with the light even for VEG. Will save money compared to other options (though we are not talking hundreds or dollars a months or anything).

The lights a lot more use to him the t5's would be.

Evildog...your better off with the xml 350 (or the 650 if you have a bigger space) but the 350 is only a hundred or so more...and will be far superior with the 10watt led's

But the XTE is certainly a good light...heck the old DS was a good light.

Well his dads is a fool, nothing wrong with the light even for VEG. Will save money compared to other options (though we are not talking hundreds or dollars a months or anything).

The lights a lot more use to him the t5's would be.

Evildog...your better off with the xml 350 (or the 650 if you have a bigger space) but the 350 is only a hundred or so more...and will be far superior with the 10watt led's

But the XTE is certainly a good light...heck the old DS was a good light.

you sound like you have a good idea about led's hackenspit. do you have any grows or photos you could share?

• Upvote 2

Hackenspit. Whats the efective foot print of your light for flowering and for vegging where you dont need as many lumens?

Ive been a sceptic up until more recently and yeah seams led tech is advancing. Especialy the cree brand. Lots of cheap Diy builds using seperat cree bulbs, balasts etc. etc. around diferent forums. Im still to keen to learn more though and arent fully convinced yet, just partially . Proof is in the pudding so to speak and for me its gonna take a few more people like you to pave the way for us by demonstrating the benefits. So good luck and show us your grow!

I have been into electronics for a long time, mates build commercial laser systems and I enjoy technology generally. If you are after photos there are plenty of photos of awesome LED grows over at grasscity or rollit up.

The lights used are the same lights...and cannabis is cannabis regardless of the country you are in.

Lumens are not relvevant with LED (its based on what the human eyes sees not amount of light usable to the plant), you actually want to look at PAR.

IF you want the PAR readings of the 650 in a 5x5 space check here as it has it at varying heights above canopy.

http://advancedledlights.com/ds-xml-650-datasheet/

Model  

Total Coverage   

Core Coverage 

LED Specs

Weight

Avg. Power Draw

DS XML 150

3' x 3'

2.5' x 2.5'

(4) 10w USA Made Cree XML LED's 
    (64) 3w High Output LED's (single chip)

130w

DS XML 350

4.5' x 4.5'

4' x 4'

(10) 10w USA Made Cree XML LED's 
  (144) 3w High Output LED's (single chip)

330w

DS XML 650

5.5' x 5.5'

5' x 5'

(24) 10w USA Made Cree XML LED's
  (256) 3w High Output LED's (single chip)

618w

Bear in mind these assume fixed position and LED benefit far more than HPS with lightmovers being used allowing larger areas to be covered by the light and it actually positioned closer to canopy without bleaching.

Most good LEDS are modular now, so if a diodes stops working you can replace a module and not the whole light. Making your own is not that bad an idea assuming you have the skills.

The way has already been paved, the proof is out there...its just not on this site.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/completed-journals/210051-new-advanced-diamond-series-xml-350-led-lighting-cannatonic-fruit-cheese.html

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/420-sponsors/190983-mars-hydro-led-grow-light-discussion-802.html

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/completed-journals/230588-icemud-s-led-grow-advanced-led-xte-300-series-ex-veg-200-a.html

With only 300watts of LED. Edited by hakenspit