Totally new and bloody excited

Well bit of an update i guess. One of the three seeds seemed to crack and throw out a rot and the other 2 didnt after 48 hrs so i put them in the seed raising pots anyway and hope they are good.

How long should i wait before they are destined for the bin?

Also outdoor maybe wont work. Started setting up for this and guess who pops their head over the fence to say gday, dont know neighbours well enough to know its safe now

"Outdoor 'Maybe' won't work?" if the neighbour knows there is no 'maybe' about it, in my opinion. You want NOBODY to know. That's rule Number 1. It only takes one loose tongue to talk to another loose tongue and look out the whole neighbourhood knows. Or a mate gets a bit pissed one night down the pub "....I know this bloke and he's got this real nice plant..." and you end up with an unwanted late night visitor. YOU WANT NOBODY TO KNOW!!! Do you remember a cartoon from years ago called "Secret Squirrel" maybe not, it was a while ago. If you are growing you need to become Secret Squirrel. Nobody knows nothing. Safety and security need to come first, hence why I grow indoor.

Jester is correct '...don't get too caught up in the finer details of growing if your just starting...' make a start and start to learn.

Yes there is lots to learn, so go have a read and a look around. For the basics have a look thru Cannaversity http://cannaversity.com/index.php

If you have specific questions then please ask, there is lots of great people and information ere, someone will give you the info you aren't sure of or tell you where to find it. Others will provide you the specific info. So ask

Merl1n

Yeah the whole outdoor thing is knocked on the head making a small grow cabinet instead.

600x500x1200mm any ideas on where to go next. Seems that painting mat white works well. I have seen a few using 80w philips CFL and i can get one for 100 bucks with reflector.

Ventilation and odur control i am still not sure on. Posted in build section but dosent seem to be a busy section.

Cheers for the link thats exactly what i need. Time for a cold one and some 'study'. post-55843-142658781146_thumb.jpg

OK, so you have a box.

Question? What does a plant need to survive?

Answer: Light, air and water

In a sealed box you need to provide these. How?

Sounds like you want to use a cfl. OK, personally I wouldn't but then I'd probably go the wardrobe route which I'd have more space for a bigger light. But OK.

You want maximum reflection from the sides and white will reflect the whole light spectrum, so you need to paint the whole thing white inside. Some people think mirrors or silver are better, but silver will also pickup the reflection from dark colours like black pots. White will not. Paint the walls white.

P.S. Roots hate light, all pots and any tubing needs to be black. If light can get to your fluids algae will form, so hence black tubing, black pots

Air: You will need 2 holes. One down low for cool, fresh air intake. One up high for hot used exhaust air. Now some people use two fans, one on each outlet. Others(like me) only use one fan and have a passive intake. Either way can work. I also recommend a circulation fan for inside you space, blowing thru the plant canopy, I use an oscillating fan, moving side to side, stirring all of the air within my grow space. Moving all the moisture is very important especially in small spaces, otherwise it will be a cupboard full of mould. YOU MUST HAVE AIRFLOW. You'll probably need some ducting also to remove that stale air from within the room your cupboard will be in.

Water: Now we have so many options and variables. These variables all depend on many things like the type of system you want to run, the medium (soil substitute) you want to use, your light timings etc. These are things you'll need to decide on for your particular environment or the area you want to grow in. For example, I grow in a shed, to get fresh air, it is simple, cut a hole in the wall. If you are in a room in a house it may not be that easy.

Some thing that I have noticed a bout your box is that it is made with a MDF sheet for the sides. MDF does NOT like water. When it gets wet it tends to swell and weaken. I'd recommend you reinforce that base with a cross member (or 2) and maybe getting a rubber liner or a tray to minimise any water damage to the base.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Yeah mate check out my previous grows all done with an 80w .... they got a bit crap towards the end as the light eventually runs out of oopmh.

but still got 1/2 ounce first time and 1 ounce second grow, and it was good smoke too.

the 80w perform really good in small spaces.

although with that space you could probably pull off a 250w HPS or a 175 MH

Edited by The Stoned Jester

Gday merlin. Thanks for your response.

I guess i kinda lucked out a bit here. Got white paint got black pots. I have got cross members with a thin second for thats easy replaced as i was worried about it getting wet. I will be sealing it before painting but it is still MDF.

My thinking on going CFL for now is one for the price and also i really wanna get the growing part sussed as well. I havent really touched on that yet as far as soils nutrients etc. Learning from the ground up here mate.

This will also be in my shed and was wondering if the passive vents in my shed would allow enough fresh air???

As for the box i was gonna go a single exhaust fan and a passive intake.

Stoned i read your whole diary last night great at stuff. Weight isnt such an issue for me right now as my plan is to stay small and gain an under understanding of growing as well as just knowing a single method. Later down the line i will go a proper set up. But gotta start small.

I have cracked seeds in osmocote seed rasing mix..how long would you expect for the plant to raise its head???