Fan Silencers Worth It? And Fan Q?

Hey Sixty-eight,

I have 1.2 X 1.2 X 2 m tent, run a canfan 150mm with built in controller. I duct from tent, through silencer and out carbon filter.

Up against fan,  noise reading is approx 60 to 64 db, three feet away is 50 db.

For the tent I run the controller on three I think it dials from 1 to 5 and 3 sucks the sides of the tent in nicely for negative air.

p.s makes a heap of difference!

Edited by Sunsetcoastreefer

cheers for the help guys ill keep looking around i may go with the bigger fan idea on a speed controller im running a 6" duct booster fan now with reduced speed to keep it quiet, i might think of getting a 200mm or 8 inch duct booster fan and use a reducer for the reflector and have it running at around half speed, they are rated at 450CFM/764 cubic meters and hour so they should be plenty once thru the CF than aircooled hood so i maybe able to get away with the noise of one fan for cooling and venting heres hoping

just looking at 6" or 150mm fans on ebay a centrifugal fan runs at 52db where as the same size mixed flow fan runs at 34db with only a small decrease in m3 per hour i think i might go with a mixed flow fan guys after reading the below

Perceptions of increases in decibel level

The list below gives you an idea of how noticable a change in decibel level will be to you:

• 1dB  –  Not noticable
  • 3dB  –  Barely noticeable
  • 5dB  –  Clearly noticeable change
  • 10dB  –  About twice as loud
  • 20dB  –  About four times as loud

so basically from 34db to 52db from each fan it should be around 4 times quieter im thinking?

Edited by Sixty-Eight

ok guys ive made up my mind im going to pick up a chinese 200mm mixed flow fan ill use my speed controller to bring it down to what i need and use either insulated or acoustic ducting

the new fan will move 700m3 on low and 850m3 on high with 45/52db

i have a new set up that ill be running its two 400w lights in cooltubes so stay tuned in my diary 8 plant grow :good: