Yates DroughtShield and easiest ever cloning method

Hey Frank, for a change I'm not stoned [too early!] but I can't say I understood the above.

Can you please explain further "grown slightly sub par on the mother plant"?

cheers.

Hey mate, I just meant a mother plant that is slightly stressed, will then start to store carbohydrates in new shoots more so than if they weren't stressed. These carbohydrates allow cuttings to root heapw quicker

• Upvote 1

Hey Ange, sorry to resurrect your old thread, but I gave it a try and it isn't going great.

I've done clones before with success or failure seeming to change based only on strain to strain.  Thought I'd have a crack at this for future reference as I was pruning some excess branches off, doesn't matter as they'll all end up in the bin anyway but just wanted some experience before doing it when it matters.

Cut some branches and straight into water, selected final cutting points and cut then straight into clonex purple, then into pre prepared coco/perlite.  They're all looking good and ready to go into a nice semi lit spot, sprayed with drought shield.  Now here's my big question, when you sprayed with drought shield, did they instantly go super droopy?

I had 6 cuttings of 5 different strains, and every single one dropped (as in stem and all) instantly on application.  Thought it was just the weight of the product at first.  Few hrs later the same, but thought once the lights came on they'd perk up.  Still the same a day later, but with leaf ends going a bit brown.  Stuck with it for a couple of days while they seemed to get worse, but ended up misting with water twice daily and covering with domes, all but one looks to be coming good since except for damaged leaves.

Did you have any experience of any of that?

Next opportunity I have to take cuttings I'm going to try spraying my selected cuttings a day before so they can bounce back whilst still attached before cutting and see how that goes.

Hey Ange, sorry to resurrect your old thread, but I gave it a try and it isn't going great.

I've done clones before with success or failure seeming to change based only on strain to strain.  Thought I'd have a crack at this for future reference as I was pruning some excess branches off, doesn't matter as they'll all end up in the bin anyway but just wanted some experience before doing it when it matters.

Cut some branches and straight into water, selected final cutting points and cut then straight into clonex purple, then into pre prepared coco/perlite.  They're all looking good and ready to go into a nice semi lit spot, sprayed with drought shield.  Now here's my big question, when you sprayed with drought shield, did they instantly go super droopy?

I had 6 cuttings of 5 different strains, and every single one dropped (as in stem and all) instantly on application.  Thought it was just the weight of the product at first.  Few hrs later the same, but thought once the lights came on they'd perk up.  Still the same a day later, but with leaf ends going a bit brown.  Stuck with it for a couple of days while they seemed to get worse, but ended up misting with water twice daily and covering with domes, all but one looks to be coming good since except for damaged leaves.

Did you have any experience of any of that?

Next opportunity I have to take cuttings I'm going to try spraying my selected cuttings a day before so they can bounce back whilst still attached before cutting and see how that goes.

To answer your question, no.  I've never experienced the droop.  Especially the stem drooping as well - that's really weird.  My experience has been quite the opposite, I've always found after about 12 hours everything has perked up really nicely.

Most odd... I'm reallty sorry it didn't work for you.   I always make the cut, spray with drought shield, then insert in the medium.  Frustrating cause I can't think what the problem could be.

All I can suggest, is that you don't give up because I still use this method (except now I use the gel out of an aloe vera leaf in preference to Clonex) and can't imagine anything being simpler.

That's why I asked, cause what I got was the opposite of what I expected, and the reaction was instantaneous on every cutting.

Maybe I just got a bad batch, or it's too old, no use by date but manufacture was August 2014.  Did spray a couple of weeds out the back with it though and they were fine, so who knows.  I'll play around with it again one day and see how it goes, I'm always happy to experiment with different things until I find what I like that works for me.

Looks like I'll still get some of them to strike, but the whole idea was to see if I could get out of the dome's and misting routine, cause I can be a lazy bastard sometimes :D

i like to select my clones from a healthy mum always on the full moon. always make cuts with a surgical scalpel that was heat treated and cleaned with alchohol. only ever cut from left to right and always use a guide to ensure the cut is exactly perpendicular to the branch your cutting. make sure the cut is directly below a node.

once you have cut the branch take the cutting and point it east as you remove any large fans except the top two which you will want to trim down to prevent transpiration. dip the bottom of the cutting into clonex and then quickly flip it upside down to absorb the gel faster. rotate clockwise 3 times then insert into an aeroponic cloner. make sure that the atmospheric pressure inside the cloner is slightly above the average for your area.

make sure the clones in the cloner are exposed to exactly 10000lumens and you should be good to go, at least 1 in 5 clones will root if you stick to this procedure.

lol in all seriousness i guess im lucky. i generally just chop mine with a rusty pair of scissors, dip in gel, then straight into wet coco or my bubble cloner. under a cfl and get pretty much 100% results.

Me too, except I do use clean and very sharp scissors, or a fresh razor blade, and I like to cut at 45 degrees just below a cut off node, but it really doesn't need to be complicated, I've cut some and just popped em straight in the clayballs next to mum in the past and it's worked.

Just wanted to try this no misting technique.

+1 for the healthy mum , & yeah you can get into the Biodynamic thing , many do 

don't know if you've seen this guy B4 Hashy, very simple way to go about it & no spraying cos the cut will take longer to root if you do https://youtu.be/gANNEB4ZbX0

I've been lucky to have  99% success striking clones. After taking the selected cuttings and trimming the leaves by 1/2, they are dipped into Yates, Plant Cutting Powder. I then put them into a small coir pot with seed raising mixture and keep them moist. After 1 week they have roots and are ready to be transplanted. Easy peasy.