Stoned Drivers are a lot Safer than Drunk ones

new study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finds that drivers who use marijuana are at a significantly lower risk for a crash than drivers who use alcohol. And after adjusting for age, gender, race and alcohol use, drivers who tested positive for marijuana  were no more likely to crash than who had not used any drugs or alcohol prior to driving

....For marijuana, and for a number of other legal and illegal drugs including antidepressants, painkillers, stimulants and the like, there is no statistically significant change in the risk of a crash associated with using that drug prior to driving. But overall alcohol use, measured at a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) threshold of 0.05 or above, increases your odds of a wreck nearly seven-fold.

keep reading:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/09/stoned-drivers-are-a-lot-safer-than-drunk-ones-new-federal-data-show/

Ok here goes....  Please don't think I am doing this lightly and will not read this thread again but feel free to comment amongst yourselves.

I worked in the health profession's for 21 years all up. This includes Hospital A&E, Ambulance Officer, Paramedic and running a Morgue.

I can never say this enough or mean it with more passion.

IF YOU DRIVE IMPAIRED (I don't care if its alcohol, drugs or prescription meds) YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT !

But you say "I know when i'm OK to drive and I don't do it all the time" "it was necessary how else was I going to get there" etc....  etc....

I have heard it all and have even heard excuse's as LAST WORD's

I have literally shovelled body parts off roads that belonged to people who thought they were OK to drive.

and dealt with families of people who had their lives cut short because of the stupidity of others.

There is NO safe limit to impaired driving, it's black or white, you are either impaired or your not. I personally don't drive if I have had ANY cannabis within the previous 24 hours.

I realise this is most likely a bummer of a response and I'm sorry if it offends anyone. It was not my intention.

Knarfman   (PTSD survivor)

• Upvote 2

My problem is, im literally always stoned, every single day for more than 10 years, wake n bake through to bed bongs, so I learnt to drive stoned, and have always driven stoned, but im not ever full on baked, too much tolerance or not enough potency to rip me, ive never once felt that I wouldn't be safe to do anything from driving to playing sports and operating heavy machinery at times so I don't know where this leaves me lol

I did once have a car accident when I was about 16 drunk driving my brothers car way before I got my license, and it made me realise how important driving safely was

FWIW I actually am a very safe and cautious driver, my thinking has always been that its the stupidity of others on the road that would get me killed 

• Upvote 2

I used to when I was younger and there were no laws against it, a few of my friends have been "done"

and lost license, I still ride a loud Harley so I never imbibe before riding coz the cops around here are right onto the ice drivers and it's easy to be dragged into the net.