100% perlite grow

The cheapest way to grow hydro, is areoponics, air is free, a bag of clay balls last's years 

you need to empty the feed tub every 10-14 days, the salt will build up in there, push ya PPM's up

bucket of fresh PH'd water every 4-5th bucket helps, growth will slow right down if you leave it to long, high salts no good, need fresh ferty in there,

the PPMs might be alright if you run a low EC, but it will be mostly excess salts in the end

not sure about just one plant, you might get away with it for longer, was running a 50l bottom tub feeding 3/4 tubs, using min 20 liters a day 

two buckets of ferty a day, a fresh one every 4/5th one, by day 10 the salts would build up to far and need changing 

SE is the perlite fan around here, he would know best 

• Upvote 1

Hey Merlin, very old post but it came up in my Google search. I'm thinking of doing recirc for my next grow using a 100L bunnos tub for 2 plants. Was considering 100% perlite in 3 gal fabric pots. I've got a few aquarium pumps and hydro halos so was thinking there's no reason salt would build up as I could run the nutes through for several minutes a few times a day. Do you find the need to flush the perlite? Does it get salt build up or can that be avoided by constant watering with heaps of run off? Could I get away with never having to clean out or replace the whole nute solution in the tub and replacing only between grows? Cheers

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Do you find the need to flush the perlite?

Flushing is a must.

I'll put it to you this way. Today I feed you a burger, tomorrow you shit it out and I feed you that again and again and again. There maybe some nutrient value in it but after a couple of weeks you've used all of the accessible nutes and all that's left is waste salts.

Does it get salt build up or can that be avoided by constant watering with heaps of run off?

If you are constantly watering with a nute rich solution, Yes, it does build up with salt. I know some growers alternate nutes/water/nutes/water. This may increase the time between flushes, but you want to keep you system clean. So I recommend fortnightly flush and refresh anyway.

Could I get away with never having to clean out or replace the whole nute solution in the tub and replacing only between grows?

IMO No. For my setup, if I get much over 1850-1900ppm I see a marked decline in plant health. After 2weeks I find I need to top my heart up to almost overflowing to get the salts down enough.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I use 100% perlite. Pots are top fed and drain completely. I also put an airstone in each pot. I wont be switching to different mediums any time soon.

Didn't realize I was bagging perlite, good for you, I change every mediums year lately, horses for courses and all

ya put your air stone in ya perlite at the bottom of ya pots, a bit weird lol

I will bag the shit out of it for using outside on its own tho, and it wouldn't be me first choice for inside, its like any other inert medium, but its to messy for me 

Edited by pedro de pacas

Sure. Was thinking to keep the res topped up with fresh water and nutes if needed at a constant level. Kind of thought because heaps more than usual runoff with recirc in perlite wouldn't lend itself to salt buildup in the perlite at all?

You would probably be wanting to put fresh nutes in after a week or so anyway Hey? Or a top up at least..

Thanks all. I think I'll give it a go. Probs not use fabric bags though. Might get some normal garden pots and put a stocking over the bottom to stop the perlite from getting out.

Good analogy, the feeding me a burger :) All the good stuff is used up and only waste returned. I reckon having a bigger tub should make things a bit easier so I'll scout around for a 100L.

Cheers again everyone. MLG