100% perlite grow

gday guys...Ive been away from growing for a few years due to a disastrous run in growing...heres my experience....my 1st ever grow I grew in 100% perlite....with clay balls at bottom of pot (30litre). I pulled 54oz from that grow which really blew me and the wife away. Do ya think I could replicate that?? Nope. 3-4 grow attempts after that were killed over nite..by scarab fly and spidermites.

We used coco peat with a mix of perlite in those grows...fkd every time...heartbreaking stuff. so I did myself some study.

Ive gone back to my 1st edition of grow technique. Success! the exception is that I now use a 3rd of vermiculite to 2/3rds perlite.

I run a total recirc nute system. I never need to change nutes out as they they suck up 80% of it in 5 days. I do take what little bit is left in tank out and replace with fresh water. I have a 50 litre tank and 2 30litre pots. 

The beauty I have found with the recirc system is you dont have as much worry with overflow, however you need to keep an eye on the root system as they can block your drain line up..had it happen this grow. My initial drain lines were 13mm but have since change to 19mm, less chance blockage.

now, the advantage ive found with the perlite/vermiculite mix is....I havent had the problem of spidermites or scarab fly. one article that led me to this stated that theres nothing to attract them into the growing medium. And also if growing with the coco peat or Coir then cover it with approx an inch of perlite.

Ill probable get between 20 and 30 oz out of this grow so now im refining the growing technique and nutrients.

My lighting is HPS globes, ive just purchsed 2 lumatek 600w digital ballasts for the next grow. Nutrients that im using are as follows: oxyplus, budlink, UCroot,nitrozme,Cal-Mag, alaska pure, superthrive,single part grow, ....then for bloom I change over to single part bloom with liquid lead, Bio-diesel, and a few of the fore mention products. 

I keep the nutrient pump running 24/7...control it so its just a steady dribble.

In short, i feel the 100%perlite grow is the way to go.

Just trying the 100% perlite 20L hempy bucket. Planted the rockwool cubes with the sprouted seedling in this morning. I'll be doing recirc hempy bucket setup. Got about 150L tub for 2 buckets so should last me ages inbetween changes.

gday guys...Ive been away from growing for a few years due to a disastrous run in growing...heres my experience....my 1st ever grow I grew in 100% perlite....with clay balls at bottom of pot (30litre). I pulled 54oz from that grow which really blew me and the wife away. Do ya think I could replicate that?? Nope. 3-4 grow attempts after that were killed over nite..by scarab fly and spidermites.

We used coco peat with a mix of perlite in those grows...fkd every time...heartbreaking stuff. so I did myself some study.

Ive gone back to my 1st edition of grow technique. Success! the exception is that I now use a 3rd of vermiculite to 2/3rds perlite.

I run a total recirc nute system. I never need to change nutes out as they they suck up 80% of it in 5 days. I do take what little bit is left in tank out and replace with fresh water. I have a 50 litre tank and 2 30litre pots.

The beauty I have found with the recirc system is you dont have as much worry with overflow, however you need to keep an eye on the root system as they can block your drain line up..had it happen this grow. My initial drain lines were 13mm but have since change to 19mm, less chance blockage.

now, the advantage ive found with the perlite/vermiculite mix is....I havent had the problem of spidermites or scarab fly. one article that led me to this stated that theres nothing to attract them into the growing medium. And also if growing with the coco peat or Coir then cover it with approx an inch of perlite.

Ill probable get between 20 and 30 oz out of this grow so now im refining the growing technique and nutrients.

My lighting is HPS globes, ive just purchsed 2 lumatek 600w digital ballasts for the next grow. Nutrients that im using are as follows: oxyplus, budlink, UCroot,nitrozme,Cal-Mag, alaska pure, superthrive,single part grow, ....then for bloom I change over to single part bloom with liquid lead, Bio-diesel, and a few of the fore mention products.

I keep the nutrient pump running 24/7...control it so its just a steady dribble.

In short, i feel the 100%perlite grow is the way to go.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Just trying the 100% perlite 20L hempy bucket. Planted the rockwool cubes with the sprouted seedling in this morning. I'll be doing recirc hempy bucket setup. Got about 150L tub for 2 buckets so should last me ages inbetween changes.

I'd be cautious with a 150litre tank mate... Plants by product is salts... Like us humans... We eat or drink... What we don't absorb comes out in either of 2 forms... Liquid or solids...

I'd be cautious with a 150litre tank mate... Plants by product is salts... Like us humans... We eat or drink... What we don't absorb comes out in either of 2 forms... Liquid or solids...

Hey GC, curious about your comment. Is it just a general comment on doing recirc rather than dtw? My thinking is the bigger tub the better for recirc. Allows for thorough runoff each feeding. I top up and vary ppm and ph throughout those 2 or 3 weeks between changing the whole tub. Pics for attention :) post-61631-157541768939_thumb.jpegpost-61631-15754176964_thumb.jpeg

From one mentor to another mentor then again to another mentor :)

I'm not being quite as methodical as you Cooper but fluctuating both ppms and ph a bit randomly. Throw in a fresh bunch of water every now and then. Got 2 x 100L tubs as you know one of which has a lower ppm than the other then mix as I need.

Some unusual advice you got there :)

Hey GC, curious about your comment. Is it just a general comment on doing recirc rather than dtw? My thinking is the bigger tub the better for recirc. Allows for thorough runoff each feeding. I top up and vary ppm and ph throughout those 2 or 3 weeks between changing the whole tub. Pics for attention :) attachicon.gifIMG_20191204_065309.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20191204_065603.jpeg

Hey sorry for delay in replying... I work remote so sometimes difficult to.

Look I'm no guru on growing... Still learning from everyone. What I've posted just works for me after a few heartbreaking losses due to spider mite and scarabfly... And I blame the Coco for it as I've not had a problem with straight perlite/vermiculite mix.

In the early stages of grow on a 50litre tank I get week and a bit out of it. But once the girls get a wriggle on they get pretty thirsty. I dint have much luck with run to waste... Others do... Just wasn't meant for me. So I decided just to go back to recirc... And its worked well this time. When they are mature.. I may make new mix up in 4 days? But I just found that the cf/ec readings fluctuated a fair bit so with a 50litre..it seemed to work out OK for me.

There guys on here way more experienced than me... Again find what works for you I guess... I'm all ears for advice here... Trying to do better all the time...

NW GC. So curious as to why you choose every 4 days? Do you top up with plain water, add nutes, adjust pH, do combo of weaker and stronger ppm? What's the trigger for that 4 days?

For me, its about convenience. About every 2 to 3 weeks I have the time to drain both tubs of 100L (in reality only ever have 80L in each max) and refill with fresh water and nutes. Not ideal as I don't let the tap water stand to get rid of the chlorine but it's what I do. The next few days I watch the ph creep up and adjust until I get to where I want to be which takes about 3 days or so.

I'm doing recirc because I'm heavily watering my fabric bags so no chance of that salt build up. With dtw I'd be filling those tubs up every 4 days I reckon. No science behind it for me though like coopers method though.

The 2 plants I have seem to be going OK. Good luck with yours mate.

MLG

Hey sorry for delay in replying... I work remote so sometimes difficult to.

Look I'm no guru on growing... Still learning from everyone. What I've posted just works for me after a few heartbreaking losses due to spider mite and scarabfly... And I blame the Coco for it as I've not had a problem with straight perlite/vermiculite mix.

In the early stages of grow on a 50litre tank I get week and a bit out of it. But once the girls get a wriggle on they get pretty thirsty. I dint have much luck with run to waste... Others do... Just wasn't meant for me. So I decided just to go back to recirc... And its worked well this time. When they are mature.. I may make new mix up in 4 days? But I just found that the cf/ec readings fluctuated a fair bit so with a 50litre..it seemed to work out OK for me.

There guys on here way more experienced than me... Again find what works for you I guess... I'm all ears for advice here... Trying to do better all the time...

NW GC. So curious as to why you choose every 4 days? Do you top up with plain water, add nutes, adjust pH, do combo of weaker and stronger ppm? What's the trigger for that 4 days?

For me, its about convenience. About every 2 to 3 weeks I have the time to drain both tubs of 100L (in reality only ever have 80L in each max) and refill with fresh water and nutes. Not ideal as I don't let the tap water stand to get rid of the chlorine but it's what I do. The next few days I watch the ph creep up and adjust until I get to where I want to be which takes about 3 days or so.

I'm doing recirc because I'm heavily watering my fabric bags so no chance of that salt build up. With dtw I'd be filling those tubs up every 4 days I reckon. No science behind it for me though like coopers method though.

The 2 plants I have seem to be going OK. Good luck with yours mate.

MLG

Coz my tank is near empty...

As far as salts... Like I explained in an earlier post... When plants take up nutrient they like all living things have a by-product.. For us humans.. It's sweat, urine, faeces... Plants is a type of salts.and that kinda explains to me the fluctuation of cf levels and pH...

So yeah when plants are in full grow mode I'll get 4 or 5 days out of a tank... Nothing goes to waste as any left over nutes... Maybe 10litres goes on to my front garden etc. I say 10litres coz that's kinda the level of water where the pump is not picking it up very well.its just what is working for me.. It's not perfect by any stretch but I'm experimenting with a few things this time around.

Im on an even time roster so my wife is able to look after things while I'm away..

I don't think plants produce salts. It's not a by product of feeding them nutes. From what I understand salts in the medium is from letting it dry out too much and/or not getting sufficient runoff to flush those salts out (salts being the nutes). Over time, the plant takes the salts from the nutes that it needs leaving behind what it doesn't. This causes the imbalance and why you should top up or replace water and nutes in the tub. Happy to be educated otherwise.

MLG

Coz my tank is near empty...

As far as salts... Like I explained in an earlier post... When plants take up nutrient they like all living things have a by-product.. For us humans.. It's sweat, urine, faeces... Plants is a type of salts.and that kinda explains to me the fluctuation of cf levels and pH...

So yeah when plants are in full grow mode I'll get 4 or 5 days out of a tank... Nothing goes to waste as any left over nutes... Maybe 10litres goes on to my front garden etc. I say 10litres coz that's kinda the level of water where the pump is not picking it up very well.its just what is working for me.. It's not perfect by any stretch but I'm experimenting with a few things this time around.

Im on an even time roster so my wife is able to look after things while I'm away..