• Register Now!
Grass Outdoors Shade Purple Orange Blueberry Watermelon Apple Banana Strawberry Chocolate
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community. - Login to remove this message
Glandore Hydroponic Nutrients, Lights and Equipment
Drug Detox Kits, Toxin Detox Kits, Drug Testing Kits and Medical Condition masking products

Photo

100% perlite grow

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

cooper

cooper

Couch Locked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:Rec. & Medicinal
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads)
  • Fav. Heads:"Hydroponic"
  • Fav. Lighting: HPS
  • Fav. Nutrients:Any hydro A+ B kits + Silica.
    I dont use magic additives

Didn't realize I was bagging perlite, good for you, I change every mediums year lately, horses for courses and all

ya put your air stone in ya perlite at the bottom of ya pots, a bit weird lol

I will bag the shit out of it for using outside on its own tho, and it wouldn't be me first choice for inside, its like any other inert medium, but its to messy for me 

Sorry mate, didn't mean to quote you in the other post I was just trying to reply to the thread lol. I must have been too "medicated" at the time.

Also Yeah, I put air stones in my pots. They exchange the air in the root zone about 5 x an hour. Roots love oxygen, whats wrong with pumping air into the pots? Its a good way to boost production a bit IMO.

Edited by cooper, 29 July 2019 - 01:24 PM.

Say thanks with some bits:  bc1q2u6zm8fvmf9n6zv0kdtq0gsvhjfhdcysfss94j  (BTC Only)

Serrated edge

Serrated edge

Drug War Veteran

• Members
  • 6244 Posts:
  • Interests:Weed and mates
  • Fav. Lighting: All
I've always considered perlight as excellent for allowing air to the roots ,,,nothing to get soggy,,,

autopot system sell a kit to pump more oxygen to roots ,,but that's a wet-foot system and needs the extra air ,,

Curious to see how yours do with extra air.

cooper

cooper

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1140 Posts:

I've always considered perlight as excellent for allowing air to the roots ,,,nothing to get soggy,,,

autopot system sell a kit to pump more oxygen to roots ,,but that's a wet-foot system and needs the extra air ,,

Curious to see how yours do with extra air.

Extra air is something i've always done so I really can't give any comparitive results. I can say the results are good lol - worthless nothingness.

To me it's a no brainer. A beasty air pump cost very little to purchase and run. More importantly (for me)

- O2 is consumed quickly by all sorts of things in pots - roots, bacteria etc

- O2 regulates root function, no O2 = no nutrinet uptake + other bad shit

- A pot full medium doesn't really exchange air, unless its flood and drain (do yours?)

- Water holds very little O2 compared to air, Why aerate the water if you can aerate the medium?

- My pots run hot (approx 30 degrees) I need to do everything I can to make a poor environment for pythium & fusarium. Air works well.

Any ways, it's just opinion as always :) All I can say for sure is that it doesn't hurt and perhaps it's worth a crack for the sake of a little effort and a few bucks on gear. Try it! let us know if there's a difference.

On the down side, it boosts the humidity in my room which is a burden for me :) Also, the medium will dry a bit faster which is no biggie if you automate watering.

-

Serrated edge

Serrated edge

Drug War Veteran

• Members
  • 6244 Posts:
I wasn't bagging the system,,,I think it's a good idea especially in wetter mediums ..if I was to start using 50 litre pots again id be happy to give it a try,,can only help.

Mines run to waste and small pots so not far to the centre of the pot from top or bottom,,I reckon they get more air distribution than say the 50 litre pots and always believed - said that it's better aeration than coco,,

I add vermiculite which surely cuts down on those mini air caverns under the perlite ,,but I get lazy so the vermiculite allows me to miss the odd watering. Been meaning to set gravity feed again ,,when I do it will probably ditch the vermiculite ,,,,never used to use V years back ,,just pure perlite like you are.

Loves me perlite !

midlifegardner

midlifegardner

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1219 Posts:
So even I can understand (!), you lay an air stone at the base of your pot with the tube hanging out and hook it up to the air pump? Wouldn't the air just escape from the base or that's the idea? I'm using hempy buckets so it's got me thinking and I've read about using airstones in the hemoy bucket res

Extra air is something i've always done so I really can't give any comparitive results. I can say the results are good lol - worthless nothingness.

To me it's a no brainer. A beasty air pump cost very little to purchase and run. More importantly (for me)
- O2 is consumed quickly by all sorts of things in pots - roots, bacteria etc
- O2 regulates root function, no O2 = no nutrinet uptake + other bad shit
- A pot full medium doesn't really exchange air, unless its flood and drain (do yours?)
- Water holds very little O2 compared to air, Why aerate the water if you can aerate the medium?
- My pots run hot (approx 30 degrees) I need to do everything I can to make a poor environment for pythium & fusarium. Air works well.

Any ways, it's just opinion as always :) All I can say for sure is that it doesn't hurt and perhaps it's worth a crack for the sake of a little effort and a few bucks on gear. Try it! let us know if there's a difference.

On the down side, it boosts the humidity in my room which is a burden for me :) Also, the medium will dry a bit faster which is no biggie if you automate watering.
-

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

cooper

cooper

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1140 Posts:

I wasn't bagging the system,,,I think it's a good idea especially in wetter mediums ..if I was to start using 50 litre pots again id be happy to give it a try,,can only help.

Mines run to waste and small pots so not far to the centre of the pot from top or bottom,,I reckon they get more air distribution than say the 50 litre pots and always believed - said that it's better aeration than coco,,

I add vermiculite which surely cuts down on those mini air caverns under the perlite ,,but I get lazy so the vermiculite allows me to miss the odd watering. Been meaning to set gravity feed again ,,when I do it will probably ditch the vermiculite ,,,,never used to use V years back ,,just pure perlite like you are.

Loves me perlite !

I loves me perlite too, for the reasons that you have said. I'd love to put a bit of tech into monitoring oxygen levels in pots, but... O2 meters are horribly expensive, fickle and dont last that long. I can't find any research relating to this!

The commercial tomato folks know their shit, they dont blast air into the pots. so..... perhaps its a waste?

Do us a favor and give it a crack SE. Set the record straight. It cant hurt, but it might get you an extra few % or save some time or something??? .

cooper

cooper

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1140 Posts:

My pots are plumbed at the bottom with tubing, Sorry I'm a bit old to comment on hempy's. The air has nowhere else to go but up and out of the top of the pot. If this is not the case for you, stick the stones in the middle of the pot.

midlifegardner

midlifegardner

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1219 Posts:
Cheers. I might give it a go next time. Can't hurt and I've got all the gear so no cost.

My pots are plumbed at the bottom with tubing, Sorry I'm a bit old to comment on hempy's. The air has nowhere else to go but up and out of the top of the pot. If this is not the case for you, stick the stones in the middle of the pot.

cooper

cooper

Couch Locked

• Members
  • 1140 Posts:

Cheers. I might give it a go next time. Can't hurt and I've got all the gear so no cost.

That's it" Low cost and why not. Perhaps you can give us a comparison. Just be aware that the medium will dry a tad faster.

Also, I don't really use air stones. I use those 4mm, stiff irrigation sprayer rizers (dont know what they are called) https://www.bunnings...single_p3129089  I drill a few tiny holes in one end, plug the terminal end and spear them into the root zone, connect to air pump etc. - easier than burying and air stone during setup lol. I'm not sure that I'd try this mid crop, roots get use to their environment and dont like to "switch" E.G. It would be madness to veg in flood and drain and the switch to drip feed during bloom (or similar)

Serrated edge

Serrated edge

Drug War Veteran

• Members
  • 6244 Posts:
The air will take the path of least resistance,,and if in a soggy medium while wet it probably won't get distributed so well.

If anyone is keen ,,,Autopots have a dome shaped Doo da that placed in the pot supposed to help evenly distribute air to the roots.

Probably better for 25 litres and up...

Glandore Hydroponic Nutrients, Lights and Equipment
Mars Hydro Store - LED Lighting and Grow Tents - Hydroponics
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community.