100% perlite grow

I wasn't bagging the system,,,I think it's a good idea especially in wetter mediums ..if I was to start using 50 litre pots again id be happy to give it a try,,can only help.

Mines run to waste and small pots so not far to the centre of the pot from top or bottom,,I reckon they get more air distribution than say the 50 litre pots and always believed - said that it's better aeration than coco,,

I add vermiculite which surely cuts down on those mini air caverns under the perlite ,,but I get lazy so the vermiculite allows me to miss the odd watering. Been meaning to set gravity feed again ,,when I do it will probably ditch the vermiculite ,,,,never used to use V years back ,,just pure perlite like you are.

Loves me perlite !

So even I can understand (!), you lay an air stone at the base of your pot with the tube hanging out and hook it up to the air pump? Wouldn't the air just escape from the base or that's the idea? I'm using hempy buckets so it's got me thinking and I've read about using airstones in the hemoy bucket res

Extra air is something i've always done so I really can't give any comparitive results. I can say the results are good lol - worthless nothingness.

To me it's a no brainer. A beasty air pump cost very little to purchase and run. More importantly (for me)

- O2 is consumed quickly by all sorts of things in pots - roots, bacteria etc

- O2 regulates root function, no O2 = no nutrinet uptake + other bad shit

- A pot full medium doesn't really exchange air, unless its flood and drain (do yours?)

- Water holds very little O2 compared to air, Why aerate the water if you can aerate the medium?

- My pots run hot (approx 30 degrees) I need to do everything I can to make a poor environment for pythium & fusarium. Air works well.

Any ways, it's just opinion as always :) All I can say for sure is that it doesn't hurt and perhaps it's worth a crack for the sake of a little effort and a few bucks on gear. Try it! let us know if there's a difference.

On the down side, it boosts the humidity in my room which is a burden for me :) Also, the medium will dry a bit faster which is no biggie if you automate watering.

-

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Cheers. I might give it a go next time. Can't hurt and I've got all the gear so no cost.

My pots are plumbed at the bottom with tubing, Sorry I'm a bit old to comment on hempy's. The air has nowhere else to go but up and out of the top of the pot. If this is not the case for you, stick the stones in the middle of the pot.

Thanks Cooper and SE. I'm only a small grower with just those standard 9L buckets for my hempy pots. About 2 inches from the bottom I have 5mm hole for drainage. Maybe I'll try to stuff the air hose in there after watering. It may add O2 to the 2 inch res and if not then push air up through the medium (coco perlite) to the top.

I should add that i cut my teeth on perlite when it comes to craft of indoors.

I would always have a small amount of nutes in the saucer for the plants could wick up when ever they wanted never drying was the perfect breeding grounds for them, did run to waste hand watered and would let them sit in the run off wicking it up...

• Upvote 2

The wicking up you mention, similar to hempy buckets where there is a 2 inch res at the bottom.

I should add that i cut my teeth on perlite when it comes to craft of indoors.

I would always have a small amount of nutes in the saucer for the plants could wick up when ever they wanted never drying was the perfect breeding grounds for them, did run to waste hand watered and would let them sit in the run off wicking it up...