LED grow lighting Share your knowledge!

Stonesy

Most of the LED arrays i've had have all been internally 12v or 24v for some of the new double chip led's.
I'll do up a little guide soon perhaps of converting a LED array to be directly fed from batteries. As soon as i have one not in use :P.

From my experience the 3W LED's can be useful; but to use them nicely you need to pretty much keep adjusting the height.
Using a SCROG / SOG is super useful to maintain the canopy height, you can then lower it further and further until you're just skating the minimum height before frying the plant.
Because of the relative lack of heat, the limit is closer than HPS / MH etc,
Inverse square law still applies the same, but because a lot more of the light is usable, there is a lot less wasted as FIR and other frequencies that generally just heat the plant up.

Beause of this though it allows you to concentrate the light at close range.

Higher wattages I normally just use them like HPS / MH, same sort of distance concerns,  maybe a bit closer, but not by a huge amount.

I do highly recommend suplimenting the LED arrays during flowering, an addition of a UV-B bulb is extremely useful, as a lot of the LED arrays give off piddly amounts of UV-B.