Buying a Budget Vaporizor

hi, I purchased a vaporite wooden vaporizoer a few years ago and enjoyed using it for around $100. I brought it mainly to save my lungs from too much smoke but I also found I liked the high. But last year I was about to travel and an old friend asked if he could borrow it.I thought I would be kind and let the old guy use it to save his lungs but when I came back and hoped to get it back his phone number was no longer working. So I need to buy another one  but unfortunately my budget is very low and I need to get the best I can for the least amount of money. This is where I hope I can get some advice on what is out there and where I could get it.

I have browsed a few popular online vape and pipe stores but the prices are quite high and it seems I need to spend at least $200. My budget is really around the $100 mark. I'm thinking of going back to where I got my first one but I have read that they are Chinese made which has now put me off a bit. The one that interests me is the Hyper model as it has fans. It will cost me about $130 shipped. Have others used this model and what are your thoughts? What other ones could I consider?

thanks for the suggestions. I see that the MFLB.is a portable unit. I don't really need it to be portable and I would prefer a powered one as I get free electricity where I stay. I do have a battery charger though and loads of rechargeable AA batteries. But I will have a read of their website now anyway as it looks good. I do travel overseas a bit and it would be nice to take a portable one with me but it would need to be able to be cleaned like new before I took it with me or just buy one for that. 

Edited by Kellern

thanks for the suggestions. I see that the MFLB.is a portable unit. I don't really need it to be portable and I would prefer a powered one as I get free electricity where I stay. I do have a battery charger though and loads of rechargeable AA batteries. But I will have a read of their website now anyway as it looks good. I do travel overseas a bit and it would be nice to take a portable one with me but it would need to be able to be cleaned like new before I took it with me or just buy one for that. 

Taking a vaporiser through airports? I've carried a Solo through a couple of times but only after first cleaning the stems to as new cleanliness and disassembling the body to clean with alcohol after a good blast of compressed air because some of the 'explosives' HPLC sniffer gizmos also detect THC I believe and Mr Plod is slowly learning what vaporisers look like. It's almost impossible to clean the internal air path below the screen in the MLFB for the record - you can't get inside the box other than soaking the whole thing in ISO which will probably wreck the timber finish on the outside!

Not wanting to start a flame war, but my take on the MLFB is that it's cute and (without PA) very portable and stealthy. They have a great following on the forums at http://fuckcombustion.com and I was a fan when mine first arrived - IMHO, after a few weeks of experimenting, the MLFB can be made to work reasonably well once you get the technique down and if you don't mind the odd bit of combustion - oh, and a power adapter is really a must if like me you get sick of waiting for rechargables to recharge! That brings the price up substantially to make it suitable for daily use.

Bottom line for me is that I haven't touched mine since the day my first Arizer solo arrived about 2 years ago and would strongly recommend the Solo over the MLFB as a slightly more expensive first vaporiser purchase - worth every penny of about $150 total from any reputable fleabay seller (or massdrop if you don't mind waiting about 4 weeks). The Solo has tight electronic temperature control, great taste and most people find it very easy to learn to use. Extraction is predominantly convection - hot air - rather than the sometimes burning hot wire mesh of the MLFB which results in mostly conduction heating and in my clumsy hands, occasional combustion. Extraction temperature regulation in the MLFB requires an experienced user pressing and releasing the battery or PA as they inhale - which is ok but once you try an automatic thermistor regulated vape you won't want to go back to the hit or miss of the MLFB if you'll pardon the pun.

As with all personal experience based advice, YMMV

Edited by doctor_nelson

Solo is one of the couple on my "next vape" list. Running the wispr2 at moment. $160. Good vape. I like that it runs on butane. But it's a noisy bugger. Certainly not as the name suggests. Sounds like a loud jet lighter.

No temp control but no combustion either. I get some pretty good clouds out of it and still am able to get more out of the avb in the likes of edibles or tinctures. Which I like too.

Being a billy puncher my whole life, this was my first vape and to be honest I don't think I'll smoke a bong again if I had the choice.

Which iolite model did you purchase Louise out of curiosity?

I've been looking at those wooden box types that are advertised via this site ( Cheating the Hangman ) and they are on special for less than 100 , I see the OP was happy with the one they had and I might get one as an entry level to test the waters , I dont care where it is made and they come with a 6 month warranty which is a bit reassuring also a long established oz distributor , I think the important part is the heating element being ceramic rather than metal , the more expensive twin fans ones what is the advantage ? 

Love to hear some feedback as well , cant do bongs anymore doc says :(

All I know about those "wooden box types" aka MFLB is there is a bit of a learning curve which can lean towards frustration (speaking from mates experiences). Main one being no temp control which leads to combustion if not careful. Batteries are also a pain in the ass and don't last.

In general it Took me a while to get use to the slow onset of stone as apposed to the instead hit from a bong. It's more like the slow joint onset if you were to compare.

The wood ones are good for stealth but there are much better less portable vaporisers out there if you are using it at home and don't care for stealth. Comes down to budget obviously too. The electronic inter web is full of reviews of course.

I find They are also much better on weed usage. When I switched I found myself going through a lot less as Your no longer scorching the shit out if your buds and in turn wasting the goodness.

So if you are money conscious you'll be going through less smoke with a vaporiser. So where you save on smoke you can spend up on the vaporiser.

Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

I thought I'd reply seems as I just bought the Vape the OP was considering , I ordered a Vaporite Hyper from CTH via the website Monday night and had it in my hands Wednesday lunch , the guy who runs it Walt answered all my emails quickly and sometimes within minutes best service ever.

The Vape looked a bit tricky at first but I just followed all the instructions and managed to get nicely blitzed on the first go , in fact I only had 2 bowls and was bent for like 5 hours , mind you I hadn't had a smoke for a week , I've had a few more goes since and I am getting high each time and I'm pretty well stoked because I can't have bongs/cigs anymore and eating it sucks balls , it works , the bong hits with baccy are hard to forget but all in time lol

The machine is good , the new one has a remote and a fan to blow the vapour out if you want , it worked out of the box and I've had no probs initially , I did a fair bit of research on low cost Vapes and happy with what I got all up $126.00 Express posted.

No complaints , happily stoned !