Oh No, fungus on the rockwool

blonde u have two problems, 1 your over watering (droopy sad looking plants), 2 check and maintain the correct PH atlease daily in a recirculating system, i dont know your system because u said u were going coco but i see your using expanded clay balls if your using a recirculating system u only want to water for 15mins every 45mins as an example or u get droopy looking plants from being over watered

also its been mentioned to get rid of those clear pots, in clear pots in hydroponic you'll get algie blooms on the roots and it will throw your PH way out of wack and u wont be able to maintain normal growth

also as i mentioned that mars hydro LED is absolutely shit! the 100x3w or 300w "white" mars hydro LED lights killed my two seedlings

the black mars II hydro LED lights seem to be ok to use

Hey Blond,

OK let's start with some simple things. The little plant you have is a baby. Babies need to be nurtured, not beaten into submission. GENTLE!!!

Babies need more rest(recuperation time) than grownups, allow her to recuperate. Most changes you make take at least a couple of weeks to show. By changing everything all at once the shock is huge, so no wonder she's lookin a bit yellow.

Rather than boosting this and then boosting that, use a FULLY balanced food source. Me personally, I use a one part nute Made by Flairform here in Oz. Its balanced and being one part there is no mixing. I have used the same one part for the last 10+yrs, it is simple and it works. Why complicate things more. I use the KISS theory, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. The less things there are for me to stuff up, the better. Water, nute, pH up, pH down, that's all I use. Why? Cos it works. And I can't cock it up and if I do, I can easily work back to work out what I did wrong. "DOH. Don't do that again" And learn.

Bl0nd, go have a cone and R E L A X. You can over love a plant and kill it with kindness.

I use a balanced one part nute mix. Some people think stronger nute mix will make the plant stronger. It doesn't. A stronger mix will burn. I have found for my setup 'Most' recommended dosage charts are too strong, Ive reduced my mixes by over 500ppm for a grown up plant and at the age that your plant is I reduce it again. Once its doing nicely, going some nice deep green shoots, then I 'up' the ppm but still probably 200ppm less than recommended dosage by the manufacturers.

Balance your pH. This is very important. Certain nutes get 'locked out' if the pH is too high or too low. There is a chart in Cannaversity that shows this. Go have a look.

My advice. Go buy some one part nute, make a mix, adjust your pH and.................RELAX!!!!! lol

Merl1n

HAHAHA ^ your spot on with that advice. I did plan on keeping things simple, but i think i made it all a little more complicated with the nutrients i chose, aswell as the planting medium - and pot sizes. In all honesty im still a little unsure of what pot size is best, it seems each pot i place them in the roots poke out the bottom within a few days. Now i have the pots sitting in a Crete of pebbles and canna coco. I definitely have to make something a little more "planned" for my next grow, but for this grow, ill just go with the flow, trial and error. I never knew their was a one part nutrient.... that makes life a whole lot easier, as with the canna coco range iv read lots of people saying they have some form of deficiency - zinc, boron, magnesium, calcium..... so iv have to buy calcium, zinc, mag-cal etc.... and then its all a gamble with the mixing of nutrients, so a one part nutrient would be extremely beneficial and basic.... i mixed 2g of pure zinc, 2g of pure magnesium, 2g of pure calcium carbonate, 2g of Epsom salts, with 4mls of seasol in a 2 litre bottle, but haven’t used it yet.... i would very much prefer the all in one nutrient (which is basically what iv attempted to make)

One thing i have down packed is the PH, i have it a perfect 5.5 every feed (i had to mix one drop of PH down with 15mls of water, and add the diluted PH down drop by drop)

With the PPM i have it at 110 - 111 .... but im unsure what its supposed to be at this point, so iv just been recording it regardless lol. Im going to checkout that All in one from fairform now, sounds like the best way to go :)

thanks for the recommendation, you have made life alot easier and if i knew that i could use an all in one nutrient i would of been using it from the start !

My god I hope that's a typo PPM of 129,000 as its a little above the suggested 1400 to 1800. :)

lol im not to sure, i know the number says 129 (currently for the last couple of feeds iv kept it at 110 - 111, but it flashes a x10 so i just assumed it meant x 10 (which is 1290 so im unsure why i wrote 129,000 ... i was probably high haha.

Geez, pulling off rockwool from a young plant... Bad idea, you surely destroyed some of the root system....

Put down the watering can and step away.... ;)

Once again,it sounds to me like the biggest problem in your grow is the grower

I agree with goat

"Put down the watering can and step away" 

Although it was a very risky thing to do, i do think removing as much rockwool as possible was good as it now allows more "flow" through the medium, so the old fluids/feeds are just sitting for long periods of time. Since removing the rockwool i have noticed the medium is always dry on top, and i now have fluid runoff flowing "through" the plant medium, rather than just being soaked up in the rockwool so i do think it has helped, and while i wouldnt reccomend it, i also will be sure not to use such a large rockwool cube next time :) 

I give each plant approx 50mls of nutrient mix, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. (i use a 600ml bottle of mix and divide it, slightly more for the bigger plants) the new growth is looking great, its just the lower leaves suffering.

blonde u have two problems, 1 your over watering (droopy sad looking plants), 2 check and maintain the correct PH atlease daily in a recirculating system, i dont know your system because u said u were going coco but i see your using expanded clay balls if your using a recirculating system u only want to water for 15mins every 45mins as an example or u get droopy looking plants from being over watered

also its been mentioned to get rid of those clear pots, in clear pots in hydroponic you'll get algie blooms on the roots and it will throw your PH way out of wack and u wont be able to maintain normal growth

also as i mentioned that mars hydro LED is absolutely shit! the 100x3w or 300w "white" mars hydro LED lights killed my two seedlings

the black mars II hydro LED lights seem to be ok to use

I dont have a recirculating system, but i plan on setting one up for my next grow. This grow is aqua clay balls with canna coco mixed together, with hand watered feeds. The roots started poking through the pots within a few days of putting them in there, so iv used crete containers lined with mesh, and filled with canna coco and pebbles, and have burried the containers so no light will effect the roots.

I have noticed the algie from the rockwool has spread, but i was unaware it could be affecting the PH of the medium, which could be locking out the nutrients. Although i always have a perfect PH of 5.5 when feeding i havent actually been measuring the growing mediums PH- and i have after reading your post and its at 7, so should i just water with some diluted PH down?

I think i have to agree about the mars lights... i had such high hopes they would be suitable, and perhaps in flower they will, but i noticed when using the CFL i get growth overnight, where as with the LED i dont see any difference over night. very dissapointing.

blonde if u want a nutrient that has all those additives your mixing in just buy Dutch Master Advance its a 2 part nutrient it contains Cal and Mag and other goodies where other coco specific nutrients dont

your old growth (lower growth) wont improve it will just die off eventually

pulling the excess rock wool off the cube isnt risky this isnt brain surgery and its just a weed it thrives...

yup us aussies are getting dicked on those mars hydro LED lights im sure there is something wrong with them, ive heard of 3 people with the exact same problem now but the amercians who order directly from mar hydro in china are going ok ive seen 2 grows so far and they look ok

In person or on the net?

Because I can throw together a few picts and tell you I'm using that brand, when in fact I am not.

...just stating the obvious...

on the net, but who would spend $240 on two lights just to take a picture?

there is a big 400 pages or something thread on Mars Hydro LED lights on another forum

Edited by Sixty-Eight

on the net, but who would spend $240 on two lights just to take a picture?

there is a big 400 pages or something thread on Mars Hydro LED lights on another forum

Thats what i think is strange aswell, and while i would generally agree that anyone can slap together a "review" of the mars hydro, i had been chatting to a guy who had ordered but not yet received his light yet, he is located in the USA, and like me, he was also skeptical and warey about buying and using a LED from ebay... but he got his light 2 weeks before mine arrived, same "brand" and seller, except his was from the USA warehouse, and his plants are massive and looking super healthy. I thought it was odd that they have seperate warehouse locations, perhaps they sent the old shit stock to aussie warehouses, and the USA has the decent lights, as their appears to be numerous happy grower diaries with the Mars light, all located in USA, where as im yet to see a happy aussie with the mars LED light.

Dutch Master advance - ill get me some of that with my new xmas pennies, having an all in one would make life so much easier, im suprised alot of the coco orientated nutrients dont include all the required nutrients, bit of a shame.

I planted my clear containers (with the bottom all drilled with holes to allow the roots to escape and stretch out) but it appears i didnt plant them deep enough (i planted the containers into a crete lined with fly screen mesh, filled with  canna coco and aqua pebbles) but theirs now algae all up the sides right at the top, so their is oviously algae lower down aswell, so i have covered the pots in aluminium foil to completley block any light which may be sneaking in between pebbles etc, and now im just hoping that blocking out the light will be enough to kill the algae, as their is HEAPS of it.

I have brought some hydrogen peroxide, but im a little afraid to use it, as their isnt much regarding dosage, or how to use it, so its a bit daunting.... plus i know when i put streaks in my hair the hydrogen peroxide is super strong, and the thought of adding that to my plant roots scares me... so ill try to block the light as much as possible.... are their any other treatments used (besides complete light blocking) and hydrogen peroxide which can help when algae has taken over?

i have learnt so many things with this grow, and while this one certainly wont be the most healthiest, or highest yeild, iv learnt many things which will really come in handy for my next grow- for example, proper potting setup - although im still unsure as to the minimum required pot size. I see these "hydro specific pot setups" which are large containers with big holes in it - iv got my plants 25cm appart and iv been told they are to close together (but if they werent that close together how will i fit them under the light?) and in these hydro tubs you can purchase, the pots dont appear to be more than 25cm appart. Im hoping my next grow i can have a proper system setup.