Simplest terms for Canna Coco dilution ratio

Im not afraid to admit, maths, ratios, percentages etc where never my forte at school, i was all about the English and Grammar (although my posts dont often show it haha) , and wouldn’t even attend maths, so i know basics, but in terms of the instructions on the back of the Canna Coco A & B nutrients, it has left me thinking...What the f**k lol....

the instructions:

• Shake bottle well before use

• Fill nutrient reservoir with water

• Add CANNA COCO A & B to the nutrient reservoir with the dilution ratio 1:25 (40 ml A and 40 ml B per 10 litre of water). Add CANNA COCO A to the nutrient reservoir Stir well, then add CANNA Coco B Again, stir well and let mixture stand for some hours

• The EC of Coco dissolved in (tap) water varies between 1.2 - 2.3 mS/cm2 (= the solution EC + the water EC)

• Recommended pH: 5.5 - 6.2

• CANNA COCO nutrients can be used for the vegetative and generative phase contrary to other (CANNA) nutrients

• Do not mix A & B concentrate directly; Insoluble combinations will occur which the plant cannot absorb

• Store closed in a dark and frost-proof place (UV light breaks down iron chelates in the nutrient)

• Keep out of reach of children

My questions in red, and highlighted the confusing stuff in blue

• Shake bottle well before use Easy done

• Fill nutrient reservoir with water What reservoir are they referring to? where will i find this reservoir? im guessing its the 2nd lid?

• Add CANNA COCO A & B to the nutrient reservoir with the dilution ratio 1:25 (40 ml A and 40 ml B per 10 litre of water).  What?? who is mixing 10 litres of solution at once? Wouldnt It make more sense if they just simply listed it as ...mls per litre - I dont plan on drowning them Add CANNA COCO A to the nutrient reservoir Stir well , then add CANNA Coco B Again, (i dont remember adding it previously, so why would i be adding it again? lol ... JK i get that part ) stir well and let mixture stand for some hours (Is this neccessary?)

• The EC of Coco dissolved in (tap) water varies between 1.2 - 2.3 mS/cm2 (= the solution EC + the water EC) What? ... what is EC, what is mS/cm? What is this tomfoolery they speak of?

• Recommended pH: 5.5 - 6.2 (Yay, something i understand, measure the PH, adjust with PH up or down if required)

So i add canna A to (the reservoir, but im going to call it a jug, as it makes sense to me) I add .....MLs of canna coco A to a 1 litre jug of water, i stir it, then i

A ) Mix Canna Coco B in a seperate jug with 1 litre of water, then combine the two, to make 2 litres of water or

B ) i add the Canna Coco B directly/undiluted to the Canna Coco A & water mix?

They made it difficult by stating the two cant be mixed together, (Do not mix A & B concentrate directly; Insoluble combinations will occur which the plant cannot absorb) YET they describe to add the Canna Coco B undiluted to the Canna Coco A.... doent this contradict itself?

Iv found the instructions so vague and shitty, theres no additional information on their site... and so far i have just used two plastic cups,

both with 150mls of water each, one with canna coco A, one with canna coco B (iv used 2mls per 150mls of water as the plants are seedlings)

then i water the seedlings with a dropper 3mls of mixed canna coco A, then half hour later add 3mls of canna coco B.

I know this isnt the way to do it, but i really have no idea, so in simplest terms could someone provide the measurements required for 1 litre of water, and can i store it for a long period of time? My plants are wet enough, i dont want to drown them. Ill prob use a misting bottle the get even coverage on the rockwool.

Cheers :)

Edited by bl0nd3

4 ml of each, add 1 at a time to your 1 litre of water, stir each one in

Hahaha thank you so much, your a bloody legend, that is very easy to follow . I just mixed up nutrients after reading your response,  I also added 0.5ml of seasol for the roots - very tiny amount, i doubt it will do any harm, and have just measured the PH using a meter and a Test tube, both show a 5 - 5.5ph... in regards to EC, im just going to hope for the best, i mean my "aprox" and "guestimates" so far have worked out well, and i havent bothered with EC so lets hope it stays that way lol.

reservior is wat u keep the mixed nutrients in

some people have specific larger reserviors for automated feeding

others water by hand and with only a coupla a plants can get away with a 20 ltr bucket

all the best

Cheers for that, still puzzles me why they have provided the dilution for such a large amount HOWEVER that may be because i find addition easier than division, so for others its prob a different story. I always thought a resevoir was "a peice" or extra part of an item/object  which assists in function... i learn something new every day hahaha.

So do most people make a large mix of ready to add solution, and just keep it stored in a bucket/bottle etc, or should the mix be used within 48hrs?

Generally i wouldnt worry about it, but its just canna coco seem so adament in regards to procedure due to solution compatability, that makes me wonder if the solution would weaken over time.

By the responses' already you know the reservoir is the container your mixing it in that is going to feed your plants. In some cases a jug (1 litre) in others its a bucket (4 litres) one of my Recycling setups has a 150 litre reservoir.

So 40ml per 10 litres is ....

Jug 1 litre = 4ml        -       Bucket 4 litres = 4 x 1 litre so 16ml     --    that dam setup of mine[ I'm getting rid of]     150 litre = 150 x 1 litre so 600ml

The EC is the Electrical Conductivity of the solution. So if I was to pass an electrical current through the water how well would it pass through it, or to put it another way how much shit is there in the water. Believe it or not PURE water does not conduct electricity it has to have stuff in it for the electricity to travel though.

EC is the most accurate way to measure this but a close enough system we all use (at least in Australia) is the ppm system "How many Particles of stuff is there in 1,000,000 parts of water".

Normal city tap water can have 100 to about 230 bits of stuff in it for every million bits of water, so we say it has 100ppm to 230ppm.

My Cannabis likes to be fed at 1400ppm to 1800ppm.

Think of it as.....  to feed my plant tennis balls (the stuff /nutrient) I have to put them down a tube (roots).

The pipe is only so big so the more tennis balls I try to cram in it the more blocked the tube gets.

My plants like 1400 tennis balls to be happy BUT there are already 100 to 230 tennis balls in the tube already so I have to take that into account

You need to know this so your mixtures can be just right for the plant. If I remember correctly there is something about it in the Cannaversity.

And you can get a good electrical ppm meter of eBay for about $30.

The bit about adding part A then part B means that the stuff in part A is dissolvable in water and the stuff in part B is also dissolvable in water BUT if you add part A to Part B it makes something that doesn't dissolve. Mud dissolves in water, water based glue dissolves in water BUT if you mix the mud into the glue then put it in water it won't dissolve.

Hope this helps and I haven't just confused you more. 

• Upvote 1

By the responses' already you know the reservoir is the container your mixing it in that is going to feed your plants. In some cases a jug (1 litre) in others its a bucket (4 litres) one of my Recycling setups has a 150 litre reservoir.

So 40ml per 10 litres is ....

Jug 1 litre = 4ml        -       Bucket 4 litres = 4 x 1 litre so 16ml     --    that dam setup of mine[ I'm getting rid of]     150 litre = 150 x 1 litre so 600ml

The EC is the Electrical Conductivity of the solution. So if I was to pass an electrical current through the water how well would it pass through it, or to put it another way how much shit is there in the water. Believe it or not PURE water does not conduct electricity it has to have stuff in it for the electricity to travel though.

EC is the most accurate way to measure this but a close enough system we all use (at least in Australia) is the ppm system "How many Particles of stuff is there in 1,000,000 parts of water".

Normal city tap water can have 100 to about 230 bits of stuff in it for every million bits of water, so we say it has 100ppm to 230ppm.

My Cannabis likes to be fed at 1400ppm to 1800ppm.

Think of it as.....  to feed my plant tennis balls (the stuff /nutrient) I have to put them down a tube (roots).

The pipe is only so big so the more tennis balls I try to cram in it the more blocked the tube gets.

My plants like 1400 tennis balls to be happy BUT there are already 100 to 230 tennis balls in the tube already so I have to take that into account

You need to know this so your mixtures can be just right for the plant. If I remember correctly there is something about it in the Cannaversity.

And you can get a good electrical ppm meter of eBay for about $30.

The bit about adding part A then part B means that the stuff in part A is dissolvable in water and the stuff in part B is also dissolvable in water BUT if you add part A to Part B it makes something that doesn't dissolve. Mud dissolves in water, water based glue dissolves in water BUT if you mix the mud into the glue then put it in water it won't dissolve.

Hope this helps and I haven't just confused you more. 

Thank you so much, you have certainly made it very easy to understand - the most basic explanation yet - i love it !!

Ill grab myself a PPM meter. Does this mean its not a good idea to add to many nutrients to the solution, as this would raise the PPM, which will mean to much for the plant to intake?  Also how do you know the correct PPM your plant is able to intake, or is this figured out by observation of plant health? As im guessing as the plant roots become thicker, they would allow a higher PPM ?

Yes you've got the idea. If you add too many nutrients (tennis balls) then the plant suffers and too little it also suffers. Dope plants are "usually" the same and if you work on the dosage that's written on your bottle then you will be round about the right dosage. (usually between 1400 and 1800ppm)

The only other thing is that no matter how big the roots get the "pipe size" stays about the same. So what they do is use Multi-flavoured tennis balls.

If you look on the front of your bottles you will notice that there are 3 numbers (Think of them as flavours). These numbers represent the percentage of a certain flavour in the mix.

So take the numbers from part A, (2-2-3) and the numbers from part B (3-0-0) and add them together (5-2-3) and this is the flavour of your mix. The first of the 3 is the stuff the plant needs to build good stems and GROW into a healthy plant. So we want as many of the 1400 tennis balls to be that flavour for the first Veg stage of our grow.

Now take a look at the numbers on you Bloom mixture and you will notice that the numbers are different, part A (2-4-8) part B (3-0-0) for (5-4-8). This is because the third number is the flavour the plant likes for growing flowers or in our case BUDS. So we want as many of our tennis balls to be that flavour.

This is of course a VERY simplistic analogy but I hope you get the idea. We maintain the number of tennis balls (ppm) but change their flavour to suit our needs.

I have some good literature on this subject I put together for someone else a couple years ago when I designed a grow diary in Microsoft Excel for them, if you want when I come out of my low and hit my manic stage again (got to have something to do when I cant sleep) I'll update it and post it for you. It's a bit more technical but good to know. From memory it has a conversion calculator in it as well.

Hope this helps