Hi all,

noob newbie here, really need some help, I don't understand what i'm doing wrong?

wasted 6 seeds so far :( (going to be outdoor growing)

my first attempt, I germinated using paper towel method, then planted in searles seed raising mix in a seedling tray.

only 1 sprouted out looking healthy the rest popped out but stayed at ground level. I had them in a window getting as much sun as they could get in the day, and sprayed with spray bottle (probably too much) once or sometimes twice a day...I now know that was probably too much. after about a day or two the one healthy looking one drooped over and its leaves curled together and the stalk got thin and kept shrivelling till it dried out and died.

now I have tried again using a jiffy pete pellet as medium, put in a silicon measuring cup (has no holes at bottom). I put it in a more shaded window that still gets light, and is cooler as it is downstairs. only been watering every couple of days yet the same exact thing is happening to it. sprouted out well the promptly started dying.

please help, I don't have a lot of seeds, and I don't want to waste anymore .

seeds from attitude:

raspberry cough

kaya gold

northern light

here are some pics of them:

post-55302-0-65361700-1416551401_thumb.jpost-55302-0-42630900-1416551481_thumb.jpost-55302-0-09270600-1416551518_thumb.j (cant figure how to post images bigger :/ ??)

any help so much appreciated

post-55302-0-65361700-1416551401_thumb.jpg

post-55302-0-42630900-1416551481_thumb.jpg

post-55302-0-09270600-1416551518_thumb.jpg

Looks like "Damping Off"(someone may chime in with a link for this) to me which is caused by over watering. When I germinate my seeds I take them and plant directly into seed raising mix which has been thoroughly saturated with water. Place the seed in at about a depth of 2-3cm, cover container with half plastic bottle using the part of the bottle with the top. Do not disturb this, place in a warm site without too much direct sunlight. Once the seed pops its head up take the cap off the bottle and remove the bottle within about 24hrs. I have germinated my last 6 seeds this way and have only had one dud and that was my fault. You will not need to water this for at least a further 24-48hrs and only then if the seedling is dry enough. Once they get their heads up they need to get into the sunlight but be careful until they are able to stand the full sunlight. Maybe introduce it at a reduced rate to start off with.

Not saying its full proof but it works for me.  Hope its of some help

Edited by max_headroom

hey, thanx guy's for the input, but still wondering how I could have over watered the second time when watering only every couple of days, when should I be watering(I know not to water at night, but how do I tell if they need water? how often should I water?

could it be anything else?

if it is too much water, if I just leave the one pictured alone will it get better or still die?

hey, thanx guy's for the input, but still wondering how I could have over watered the second time when watering only every couple of days, when should I be watering(I know not to water at night, but how do I tell if they need water? how often should I water?

could it be anything else?

if it is too much water, if I just leave the one pictured alone will it get better or still die?

Did the seedling need watered? Did you check or did you decide because its been a couple of days  "they must need a drink" If you have soaked your medium correctly you should not need to add water for to 7-10 days (depending on climate) I will use my finger pressed into just over the first knuckle...if its dry then they will get a misting when they are very young and then a very gentle watering as they get older be careful not to disturb the roots. As is often said around here "don't love em to death" and another good one "throw away the spray bottle". Your seedlings need to be moist not wet.

Don't know about for sure about the one in the picture maybe it will come good wit but I suspect its RIP, Google "Damping Off" and it will explain exactly what went wrong...if that was the cause. Louise posted some stuff the other day on "Damping Off" maybe do a recent forum search for her posts and you will find the info.  One of the other things you could consider is the seed raising mix you are using. Is it new? is it good quality? Is it suitable? What about the water is it tap water? is it rain water? Some of these things may make a difference but I would suggest less water more TLC will give you a better result. 

Did the seedling need watered? Did you check or did you decide because its been a couple of days  "they must need a drink" If you have soaked your medium correctly you should not need to add water for to 7-10 days (depending on climate) I will use my finger pressed into just over the first knuckle...if its dry then they will get a misting when they are very young and then a very gentle watering as they get older be careful not to disturb the roots. As is often said around here "don't love em to death" and another good one "throw away the spray bottle". Your seedlings need to be moist not wet.

Don't know about for sure about the one in the picture maybe it will come good wit but I suspect its RIP, Google "Damping Off" and it will explain exactly what went wrong...if that was the cause. Louise posted some stuff the other day on "Damping Off" maybe do a recent forum search for her posts and you will find the info.  One of the other things you could consider is the seed raising mix you are using. Is it new? is it good quality? Is it suitable? What about the water is it tap water? is it rain water? Some of these things may make a difference but I would suggest less water more TLC will give you a better result. 

yeah pretty much, just figured its hot the soil is all dried out so yeah watered :/ thought every couple days would be ok...thanx for the 7-10 day info that helpful to know. i did a buch of research before i even got my seeds, made up a little booklet of info, i could never seem to find much info on water (how much and when) only things my google searches came up with was not to water at night and water with straight water to flush before harvest.

never been good at keeping plants alive, thats why i love cactus and succulents. but i really need to get these to grow for medicinal reasons, don't even know if it will help me only tried it once when i was younger, so cant really judge how it will affect me,anyway going to see what happens.

got another seed coming up, so once it sprouts i won't water for 7-10 days and see what happens.

oh and yes just been using tap water,

the seed raising mix was searles, couldnt find anything without nutrience :( kind of freaked out when buying, said it was for tomatoes and the advice was seedraising mix.

the current one thats coming up is in a jiffy pellet though, don't know what is in them things the box doesnt say :/ ?

after the initial 7-10 days how often should i be watering?

thanx again for all the advice :)

Edited by madileelee

....thanx for the 7-10 day info that helpful to know.

Just be careful you don't swing back the other way and keep it too dry. I don't use jiffy pots but would assume you could plant into a pot once the seedling was up.

after the initial 7-10 days how often should i be watering?

thanx again for all the advice :)

Rule of thumb I use (not fool proof) When you can push you index finger into the soil up to the first knuckle and it comes out dry then water. As the plant grows you will get a better idea of what its requirements are.