My first grow - any tips?

Hi, 

Firstly, I am a complete newbie to growing cannabis. I am not a user, have done in the past recreationally and enjoyed it, but I have never bought any cannabis myself.

I got given a couple of seeds from a friend who got them from someone else. I thought it would be good fun for me to try and grow them rather than chuck them out and I have been really enjoying the hobby so far. 

Attached are pictures of my baby. I cant tell you what the strain is or many other particulars which I reckon you want to know, but I am here to learn.

I put it in some Osmocote potting mix around Father's Day weekend (in a smaller pot than it is now) and have given it some Powerfeed Plant Food liquid nutrients, but that was very diluted and I try not to give it nutrients more than once every 3-4 days. 

I had a bit of a scare about a week ago, I almost drowned the thing when I transfered it to the bigger pot. 

I also tried to LST it, but failed. I then FIMed it and then afraid that didnt work properly, I topped it at the top node as shown. 

Let me know what you think of my progress and any tips you may have, it would be very appreciated. 

I also want to know how big this thing can get? I probably wont put it in any bigger pot and only have it outdoors. It currently pretty cloudy and cold for mid November here in Adelaide, so not sure how it compares to where it should be at this stage.

Any questions you have, Ill do my best to answer them for you. 

Cheers,

Roy

post-55275-0-92897400-1416109939_thumb.jpg

post-55275-0-02898900-1416109948_thumb.jpg

post-55275-0-26786600-1416109961_thumb.jpg

post-55275-0-10832100-1416109970_thumb.jpg

post-55275-0-52207100-1416109979_thumb.jpg

looks good mate! dno how its survived in the osmocote, i got that 1 originally n nearly killed 2 of mine only 1 survived 

must be doing something right

Cheers mate.

It is Osmocote Professional Multi-Purpose Potting Mix to be exact. 

I had about 10 seeds. Only three germinated and then only one (the one pictured) survived after I planted them in the first pot they were in.

I didnt know that there were bad potting mixes to use. My whole growing technique so far has revolved around the basis that they are pretty hardy plants.

Just been keeping it watered and out in the sun as much as possible. Moved it under shade on a few days when I thought it was going to rain. 

Cheers mate.

It is Osmocote Professional Multi-Purpose Potting Mix to be exact. 

I had about 10 seeds. Only three germinated and then only one (the one pictured) survived after I planted them in the first pot they were in.

I didnt know that there were bad potting mixes to use. My whole growing technique so far has revolved around the basis that they are pretty hardy plants.

Just been keeping it watered and out in the sun as much as possible. Moved it under shade on a few days when I thought it was going to rain. 

Yea after alot of reading found out its not the best for them.. dnt feel bad i killed bout 3 of my regular seeds and 3 autoflowers mainly from damping off disease.

Its all about learning tho for me and if i can get 1 or 2 plants to harvest itll be good enuff for me 

Hi Roy,

She's a cutey, her color is good, looks like the FIMing worked. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of the elements, if it becomes too cloudy she will likely go into early flowering and not reach half her potential. You could always clone her, that's what I'd do, I'd buy a few bits and pieces and set something up indoors, get some real bud happening. GL! :)

Edited by pegz

Yea after alot of reading found out its not the best for them.. dnt feel bad i killed bout 3 of my regular seeds and 3 autoflowers mainly from damping off disease.
Its all about learning tho for me and if i can get 1 or 2 plants to harvest itll be good enuff for me 

Yeah I didnt really research anything before I planted the seeds, only after I planted them did I realise there are so many mistakes which I seem to have got away with so far (overwatering being the major one). I suppose I got lucky with this one, but it was only one out of about 10 that I tried to germinate.

Hi Roy,

She's a cutey, her color is good, looks like the FIMing worked. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of the elements, if it becomes too cloudy she will likely go into early flowering and not reach half her potential. You could always clone her, that's what I'd do, I'd buy a few bits and pieces and set something up indoors, get some real bud happening. GL! :)

Thanks pegz. I was thinking about cloning but then at the moment its just a hobby and doing an indoor arrangement would mean a conviction if it was found. 

Id love to remove the doubt I have about it being in non-ideal conditions outside. But if you do outdoor correctly, the plants will actually produce more, no?

Also, the outdoor element is part of the fun I reckon. I like coming home or waking up and checking it out to see how its going,always with a little doubt that the thing has died while I was away!

You called it "her" do you think it is a female? I have been reading about sexing it but it does not have and preflowers that I can see and determine its sex yet.

Looking good so far mate ;)

Thanks!

So it has been about four days of LST and only two of them have been nice sunny days but there has been good progress. 

The plant is a lot more bushier and the two of the FIM'd colas both have some good leaves. I think because I topped it as well, only two colas have grown, the other two have barely grown (you are supposed to get 2 colas from topping but 4 from FIMming right?).

Compared to the last set of pics, taken on Sunday, the plant looks like it is doing well. Its a little tired now, being 10pm, so looks sort of droopy in pic 9, however, it sits up nicely in the morning when I leave for work.

The coloring is a nice even green except a few new sprouts have a brighter green starting from the middle of the plant. Is this some sort of nutrient deficiency? I think I read that sulfur deficiency will lead to leaves being brighter closer to the steams than their tips. Can anyone let me know if they think there is a problem?

cheers,

Roy

post-55275-0-11440600-1416483853_thumb.jpg

post-55275-0-16249300-1416483865_thumb.jpg

post-55275-0-05527200-1416483875_thumb.jpg