flushing

Hey Bl0nd,

Stupid question? No, not at all, ask anyway, how bad can it be?

There are chemicals out there to assist in flushing, but the less chemicals you use the better IMHO. Any chemical in contact with the roots will be absorbed and end up in the final product, for this reason I flush with straight pH adjusted tap water. I say tap water because there are salts in tap water that will sustain your plant. I have used rainwater and there was a marked decline in the plants health, so now I only use tap water.

I'm in a recirc system. When I flush I biff the nutes from the tub (heart) and drain the system. Refill with pH adjusted water and flush this thru the system, I run this for 15min then biff and repeat, I have taps in my return lines and by turning them off for approx. 2 minutes and blocking the returns I can flood the pots so the water can come in contact with all the spaces the salts could be deposited. I then refill again with pH adjusted tap water, this rinse I leave to run for a couple of hours straight. Then refresh with fresh nutes again checking ec and pH 

For the final flush before harvest I refill after the 2 hr flush usually leave the flush to run overnight. Then the following 3 days repeat again.

Now some people would say this isn't needed and just overnight is enough. I'd disagree as the quality in taste and the burn of the smoke after being properly flushed is very noticeable. Less 'chemical burn' taste and a burning in the back of your throat to a more flavoursome smoke. 

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

I am only going by the colour chart on the PH tester 4.5-6.5 goes though orange-yellow-green-blue .... i usually have my water a light orange and my plants do fine, although i grow in canna terra which has some PH neutral stuff in it.

anyway some plants like it rough lol, remember it's a weed it can grow in some pretty harsh conditions.

Hey Bl0nd,

Stupid question? No, not at all, ask anyway, how bad can it be?

There are chemicals out there to assist in flushing, but the less chemicals you use the better IMHO. Any chemical in contact with the roots will be absorbed and end up in the final product, for this reason I flush with straight pH adjusted tap water. I say tap water because there are salts in tap water that will sustain your plant. I have used rainwater and there was a marked decline in the plants health, so now I only use tap water.

I'm in a recirc system. When I flush I biff the nutes from the tub (heart) and drain the system. Refill with pH adjusted water and flush this thru the system, I run this for 15min then biff and repeat, I have taps in my return lines and by turning them off for approx. 2 minutes and blocking the returns I can flood the pots so the water can come in contact with all the spaces the salts could be deposited. I then refill again with pH adjusted tap water, this rinse I leave to run for a couple of hours straight. Then refresh with fresh nutes again checking ec and pH 

For the final flush before harvest I refill after the 2 hr flush usually leave the flush to run overnight. Then the following 3 days repeat again.

Now some people would say this isn't needed and just overnight is enough. I'd disagree as the quality in taste and the burn of the smoke after being properly flushed is very noticeable. Less 'chemical burn' taste and a burning in the back of your throat to a more flavoursome smoke. 

Merl1n

That's ingenious Merl1n!

Edited by lemmings