Going to flower

Hey Sax, welcome to the wonderful world of outdoor growing.  Apart from what Merl1n said some plants are just a bit more prone to having this unwanted early season flowering issue.  I'm sure it's partly a genetics thing as I've also had some do it while others don't, but we also need to remember that plants don't watch a clock to determine whether or not they release flowering hormones, so there's bound to be a bit of leeway on the light hours required to keep them out of flower.  Apart from this, it's worth remembering that it can take 2-3 weeks from the onset of the flowering cycle before flowers start showing, and once the cycle has started it takes a bigger increase in the light hours to revert back to veg.  All you can do is hope that they either flower out, or revert before they turn into a bushy fluffy mess.  i have used solar spotlights with good success outdoors to reveg early flowering plants if that's an option for you.

As for chicken wire fencing, unless it's properly strained etc, roos, goats, and pigs will simply push against it to get at the goodies inside, so maybe you will need to either reinforce your fencing, or replace it with something heavier.  Some losses with growing in the bush are basically inevitable though, so it can be worth growing just a little extra to allow for this.  Good luck with the rest of your season.

• Upvote 1

Hey Saxman

I have similar problems too. Whole bunch of my plants are in full flower, there scattered in different locations with different amounts of light and shade times during the day.

Never had this problem 20 years ago with local bush seed. I think there is so much breeding indoors that plants are getting very sensitive to normal sunlight hours. I am just guessing here as I been absent from growing a very long time. I know next year I wont be starting seedling till late September/ October not early September, as the seedling started later are far more mature than the early plants.

I tried to get max sunlight in all locations, but you cant beat full sun all day. So that's strange in your case. My problem plants are getting some midday shade through tree canopy and full shade in late afternoon. I aimed to get every plant full morning sun as a minimum.

I have about 15-20 small stunted plants 150mm - 300mm in full flower,

My place is a bit south of you, and I'm starting to see some plants that were dormant, confused and undecided move into Veg and put on new growth , just this week. So I hope things start turning around for you to.

I needed to stake my wire cages to ground as well, wallabies nudge them over. They didn't kill any, but I have some strangely tipped/ branched plants now, but there healthy.

Sorry I cant help, but share your frustration.

My 1 of 6 that's doing this is in a smaller pot and am remembering just now it had some dramas as a seedling. What looked to be damping off. I managed to save it and get it up and running competing with the others. Wondering if that early stress could have impacted its genetics/behaviour in veg. Rattling my brain too. Suppose if it goes this way then I'll have some early fluffy smoke so not all is lost. Or I'll give it to a friend as a gift.

heya yea roo's can be a problem,collect some dog shit and spread it round in ya plot works to some extent

im south west of syd,only my early early ones are showing sex,few have grown out few seem stagnant.

always work on end up with a third of what ya start with,if ya have 20 i be happy with 7 nice ones,after roos males,mophs,and well anything realy,had white ants get into one last year

still great fun but .

• Upvote 2

Yeah I've got the chicken wire staked around trees in a triangle, double wrapped and the plants in the middle a good meter from the wire. Pricks. Had really early flowering last year, like 10cm plants going to flower, had planted them too early along with not realizing they were shaded quite a lot. This year however, all was going well in that regard, the bigger one that has flicked over is about 90cm so far with a trunk that gives great promise. Got some solar lights in any case today, see how they go.

Edit: A picture of said plant that is going to flower, next to an auto that is nearly ready to harvest.

post-48670-0-22197100-1415247603_thumb.jpg

Edited by saxman

what strains are you guys growing 

indica / indica dominate

Southern star seeds GG Allin is 100% indica 

& it will start to flower @ 14.5 hrs of day light 

every time

i find topping at the first sign of flower will slow the plant down , not completely stop it flowering

but will allow the light hours to move along a bit before the plant kicks back in to gear again 

& the plant gets to get increasing daylight hours each day in the mean time , should trigger re-veg

i do this at the end of October early November after planting early to mid October

this is just what works for me here in melb, with regulars !

Edited by itchybromusic