Any Sparky's here?

Hi there,

Does anyone have experience in splicing off two pre exisiting light circuits in the home to run a small 2400w light management unit?

So thats two seperate electrical lines running into a single light management unit. Im looking at only 11-12 amps of continuous load here.

Would it be better to run off a single pre existing lighting circuit rather than two?

Thanks in advance

Edited by One Coyote

Unless you are a registered electrician i wouldn't be screwing around re-wiring anything ... if anything happens your screwed cause insurance wont cover if the house burns down, you die etc etc.

If you can get one in to do it no problems, but if stealth / security is the issue it's up to you, just gotta deal with / accept the consequences .... rock and hard place i know but them's the breaks as they say

I use a pre existing powerpoint. If I need to use more power than that circuit can handle I use an extension cord from a powerpoint on another circuit. Far from ideal but it's what I do.

Have you considered getting an electrician to wire a circuit to the room that can handle the load and telling them it's for something else?

Naycha :peace:

I'm a sparky Coyote, you will cook your lighting circuit. Just get a sparky as naycha said you can put it in an adjacent room or in the room if you are not set up yet. For that load I would get a 15amp dedicated circuit this will handle any fans ect that you need to connect as well as the lights.

Should cost about $200 to $250 depending on the difficulty of the run to the distribution board. Tell him its for an air conditioner to be installed at a later date. Then he will think nothing of it.

What you are planning is way to much for a domestic light circuit to handle safely.

Tangwena

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the advice.

Any other sparky's out there? - Just kidding.... Im stubborn, ive heard splicing done before.

I just double checked the circuit i was looking to tap off, its a 16amp circuit. After looking in the back of the electical panel, it looks like a fuc#r of a job to get a electrician to run a new line in the back (no direct access from under house -where the line needs to come from) , + the room in question is made from brick, not to mention its a rental property. I dont mind paying for the job, but Im trying to make as little 'permanent' fuss getting power to the room...

Still looks like maybe the only option will be to try the Sparky

I'm a sparky Coyote, you will cook your lighting circuit. Just get a sparky as naycha said you can put it in an adjacent room or in the room if you are not set up yet. For that load I would get a 15amp dedicated circuit this will handle any fans ect that you need to connect as well as the lights.

Should cost about $200 to $250 depending on the difficulty of the run to the distribution board. Tell him its for an air conditioner to be installed at a later date. Then he will think nothing of it.

What you are planning is way to much for a domestic light circuit to handle safely.

Tangwena

+1 Get a sparky

13amp is not available, 10, 15, 20amp.

An individual circuit is MUCH, MUCH safer (same with getting a sparky). The only draw from it is your room. And the excuse of an airconditioner is perfect. Big in-windowaircon units need 15amp minimum, so no questions.

600w lights (assuming hps or mh) run off a ballast that plugs into the mains (wall socket) not the lighting circuit man. :)

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT TRY/ATTEMPT/even CONTEMPLATE the idea of using the light circuit. The circuit is designed to be specifically used by lights and not designed to take the large start up load of your HID lights. You will have a fire. Any insurance, be that your own or that of your landlords, will be null and void due to illegal activity. So if the house burns down the debt will be YOURS. PLEASE use a registered electrician, not just your mate Johnno from down the pub. The sparky is trained and has insurances that covers his work and installation.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1