Taller pots vs Wider pots

Ok i think i get it a bit better now, Long story short more roots = more yield.

Im doing a bit of experimenting right now with a few different types of pots, short n wide about 15L and tall and thin about 20L and i have some 30 and 40l pots to play with as well.

I have the bottom half of a chemical plastic drum that i want to try and grow a plant in, its only about 50cm tall but is quite wide i reckon it would hold about 150 ltrs of water, I am tempted to throw one of my clones in there but i dont have enough room for it, and my indoor setup would not support a plant that would utilize the size of that container...But it is tempting !

We need to remember hydroponics is a controlled technique when feeding indoor most people rig up water rings to directly water and feed the plants, making the roots not have to look for any nutrients stays in virtually a big clump, then I've realised with mine the roots Coat the bottom of the pots with a thick layer of roots. With bushies they can search for food several meters away.

I would think a tall thin pot would have more chance at staying moist than the short wide pot because the heat produced from lighting IMO would dry the smaller pot due to the water line being closer to surface increasing the heat on the soil and roots. More surface area of soil gives it less time to stay moist and would have to change feed times to suit ideal watering.

Easy way to explain is when spreading wet material out to dry you get a quicker result than having one big clump to dry out.

Haze

• Upvote 1