small brown spots on older growth-only on veins

Hey Tom,

I just found on hydrocentre's website that they have scarid fly drench, so if my problem returns or gets worse Ill get that. Its $28.

They also have Dutch Master Guardian for about $20 - apparently its good as well.

However there was no mention of fungus gnat.

Still researching that one - Ill post my results

Hi there,

After much research I have learned that Scarid Fly & Fungas Gnat are apparently the same thing.

I also learned that there is a predatory mite called Hypoaspis mite that preys on the larvae of the Scarid fly.

I have sent an email to a company in SA that supplies these critters.

Hoping they will either supply to the general public or know someone who does.

I have included a little dossier on what Ive learned this arvo in the hope it will help others.

Ill post up whatever the company in SA tells me when I get a reply.

SCARID_FLY.doc

I also learned that there is a predatory mite called Hypoaspis mite that preys on the larvae of the Scarid fly.

I have sent an email to a company in SA that supplies these critters.

Hoping they will either supply to the general public or know someone who does.

Sounds like the best option, scarid fly drench can literally be murder on your plants, have you confirmed that it is scarid fly/fungus gnat?

lol

Indeed, be sure before you go buying hypoapsis mites and have to try and keep the little buggers from committing suicide into the lights. You'll also have to consider that they'll only kill whats there, so if it's not really a fungus gnat infestation, or one of the other species which they prey on, (as they're rather varied in their insectivourous diet) then they may just end up doing squat.

Plus, you won't be able to use insecticides on plants with predator bugs, as anything you spray will kill them too. So research, research, research before you jump in, and find out and confirm exactly what you have first. Take samples, investigate under microscope or magnifying glass, heck you can even have samples identified for free by the agriculture departments in your state usually, although you should be sure you understand how to send samples before you do, and, guess what, research it before you do...

Anyway, good luck with the bugs, or whatever, hope you find what's ailing your plants. lol

Hi guys,

Getting myself some yellow sticky stuff this week end to hope fully catch some of these little buggers - then off to my local hydro shop I will go!

Also the Hypoaspis people got back to me :- their price is $33/litre gst inclusive.

Each litre contains 15,000 Hypoaspis mites.

Ill let you guys know how I went. :P

Hi guys,

I forgot to ask before - I found at crazy clarkes the other day a yellow sticky trap that is recommended for "insects & rodents". Is that the right one? It just seemed a little odd when I saw "rodents" written in it.

Where do you guys get your traps from?

Also Tom, I havent been able to locate so far any insecticide type things with the ingedient Dichlorvos.

Where do you get yours from??

Also Tom, I havent been able to locate so far any insecticide type things with the ingedient Dichlorvos.

Where do you get yours from??

They don't seem to be available here in WA either, I used to get them from a Supa Value supermarket in Tassie when I lived there, it may be possible that they are no longer on the market for some reason. :P

:o

Hey Tom,

I went to Bunnings and ended up buying some camphor things that you hang up. Hoping the vapour or smell from them (put 2 in my cupboard) will make the bugs run, or even better - dead!! Ive also hung up a sticky trap to try to catch some of the little buggers for a positive ID.

Also, I havent watered for a while - the theory being that if it is sciarid fly and they require moist conditions, that perhaps a little drought will kill or maim any larvae that may be in the potting mix. I figure I will hold out on the water/nutes till I see some drooping.

Any ideas if camphor will help?? Just concerned that it may get into the buds, as it is toxic.

I have put stockings over my intakes and my exhaust fan runs 24/7. So hopefully the camphor will only need to stay in there for a couple of weeks at most.

Anyway, on a good note - my 250w HPS arrived yesterday. The light output leaves my 180w of cfs for dead! And my largest, most advanced plant has some nice little buds on it. All 3 plants are growing horizontally, so there are roughly 7 flowering tops on average on each plant. I think due to the very low humidity (well low for brisbane anyway - 30-35%) in the last few days, has helped create some lovely trichromes on the largest plant. The girls smell so good!! Its so hard to fight the temptation to pick a little, but I know that if I do, I lose what could be a signifcantly larger, more potent bud!!

:angry:

Ill keep an eye out for the little bugs over the next week or two and let you know what I learn when/if I catch some on the sticky trap.

Hi everyone,

Well the camphor things dont seem to be bothering the little black flies, but I have caught 3 so far on the sticky traps that I got from crazy clarkes for $2.

Unfortunately it might be a week or so before I can take them to the botannical gardens or a hydro shop for a positive ID.

I noticed when I watered yesterday that the little black flies were coming out of the bottom of the pots as the water/nutes went in the top.

I will post up my findings after I get a positive ID on the little bastards. :P