Reflector hood 600w 1.2x1.2

Hi OzStoners,

Currently have a cheapy xtracool tube hood for my 600w in a 1.2mx1.2xm tent. Not entirely thrilled with it's output - while the cooltube is good, I don't think the spread of light is as even as it could/should be. The height the hood needs to be to spread evenly but not be too far from the canopy seems a bit off - only by my eye, haven't used a light metre yet.

So I was wanting your thoughts on what might be a better alternative. Temp isn't a huge issue I've noticed over all but the hottest part of summer (which I'm not expecting to be using equipment over anyhow), so an open reflector like an Adjusta-wing (Avenger) could be a goer, though I'm not sure if it'd be best to stick with a sealed hood. Not wanting to spend huge money just for gimmicks, but don't want anything cheap and Mickey Mouse either. Can find plenty of discussion on some of this on other places, but not often discussing whats available down under.

Cheers for your help

You think I'd need a large one for the space? Based on their documents, I thought a medium would be enough. Price wise, a medium Avenger is quite a bit less than a larger, closer to that of a large Defender - but figure it's worth going for the higher reflectivity. The bonus of the large would be potential for adding a second bulb/fitting down the track.

Thanx for that, looks like I'll try and swing for the large Avenger.

Is it appropriate to ask if anyone knows who stocks them in Melbourne? I have a few leads, or otherwise I can get shipped from interstate I guess.

Stix87: Was that an easy mod to do? Worthwhile? Might be an idea if I use it over summer perhaps.

not sure where to get one in melbourne maybe ring around or get them to order in. with cool tube i took off cheap shade then my cool tube has to eyelets i just tied rope through holes then tied to cooltube holes might take a pic in a few days

No worries, found a few places that I can go to. However in thinking about it, I came across this comparison of reflectors http://www.greners.com/reflector-test.html

They don't rate the adjust-a-wing very high - ranking the large lower than the medium. I'm curious about the other reflectors in the test, though I don't think most are available locally. I might get a light meter and checkout my current hood too. Seems from looking at online hydro shops around Oz, that most don't favour air cooled hoods - mostly stocking open wings and that. Maybe I'm just not finding the right places. Cheers for any further thoughts

No worries, found a few places that I can go to. However in thinking about it, I came across this comparison of reflectors http://www.greners.com/reflector-test.html

They don't rate the adjust-a-wing very high - ranking the large lower than the medium. I'm curious about the other reflectors in the test, though I don't think most are available locally. I might get a light meter and checkout my current hood too. Seems from looking at online hydro shops around Oz, that most don't favour air cooled hoods - mostly stocking open wings and that. Maybe I'm just not finding the right places. Cheers for any further thoughts

This where the internet gets a little shady...

The Adjust a Wing has been around for quite some time now and been very popular for a reason... great quality and great spread/results.

Comparison tests become bias against them because they want their new reflector to look better, not still be outgunned by something that has been around for ages...

Some of the new hoods are very good, but selection for your grow area and application is important.

A lot of shops don't stock them because they still have large amounts of stock that is outdated and it is in their interest to sell their "90's" stock first.

Look around at different grows, if somebody has done a great grow, look at what they use and ask yourself if this hood/reflector would suit you?

A pictures says a 1000 words and the internet has plenty of pictures ;)

Peace.