Domestic flight baggage to be x-rayed

Guest Urbanhog

Guest Urbanhog

I dunno if this information useful.... but it will make me think again before I pack my herbs, as I often take average 4-6 domestic flights a year for the last couple of years, and never had a problem...... found this in ninemsn.com.au News.

Domestic flight baggage to be x-rayed

Moves were underway to ensure baggage on Qantas domestic flights were x-rayed, Prime Minister John Howard said.

He said an announcement would soon be made on steps to remedy the lack of security checks on baggage stored in the hold of Qantas flights within Australia.

"Some steps are underway at the present time to remedy that," Mr Howard told the Seven Network.

"I can tell you that we'll be making an announcement."

Asked if that announcement would mean x-raying all baggage stored in the plane's hold, he replied: "We are moving towards that, I can't say it's going to happen overnight because it's a massive operation."

09:23 AEST Sun 24 Nov 2002

©AAP 2002

Yep - it is useful as a lot of ppl I know do carry weed over domestic borders. The most I've carried is a J in amongst some cigarettes in a cigarette container....

They will be using the x-rays to detect other stuff that could indicate terrorist activity etc....but stoners may have problems if they're carrying across their mixing bowl and implements....

Guest Urbanhog

One other thing I am curious is how is their "X-ray Set Up" is for Qantas (like little johnnie says) only what about other airlines?? or its one big machine that ALL luggage goes thru before goes to their designated aircrafts??

I just noticed that the security in REGIONAL airlines (for going to small towns/cities/outback) is totally hopeless I am sure you wouldn't have any problems carrying several pounds IF you knew what you were doing, because I have carried a large amount from (this airport) to one of the QLD's smaller towns to see my oldies, I didn't even sweat or panic...because thats the common mistake that "smugglers" give away and a lot of airports, secruity, and customs look out for incoming passengers from overseas, it's all part of their job, I don't blame them.

BUT if you are going thru the Bass Strait to Tassie or leaving Tassie on the ferry....thats a different story.... :)

I dont know how true this is but there was a rumor from a mate that the government was considering putting sniffer dogs at RBTs.Supposed to be an extension of the powers that allow them to do it in nightclubs and pubs.The civil libertarians will be on to it hopefully.With the current political climate I think these random searches, bag searches etc are only going to get more and more intense.Prepare for rainy days.