Help for a first time Autofem grower- Specific brands/types of mediums

Hi guys,

First off- sorry. I know there are a ton of other threads on this topic. I've done a lot of research/reading on the forums here and elsewhere and my head's a jumble from all the information. First post on a site like this so go easy on me :)

I was hoping for some recommendations on products to buy in preparation for my very first grow. Complete noob here (to gardening in general), so the more specific you could be about particular brands of mediums and fertilisers would be appreciated.

Seeds: Auto-flowering, feminised Northern Lights.

Plan: Just want to start off with a couple of plants, indoor grow under CFLs.

Medium: Open to starting with soil or coco, but really just want to keep it fairly simple. If I have to make my own mix (have heard Australia's range isn't great) I'd really like to be able to keep it to a few components for simplicity's sake. So far, I've read good things about Yates Dynamic Lifter and Fox Farms (though not available here).

If anyone can draw up a basic shopping list for what they use regarding medium/fertiliser picks (for autofems) readily available at Bunnings/local nurseries/hydro shops, I'd be over the moon :).

Ok firstly ,we'll done on your new found love for growing your own ganja congratulations ! And welcome to ozstoners

ok here we go from your post these are my offerings of help via experience with growing autos, and growing in general .

Seeds and plan,

Now from what I can gather this is your first time growing and you've chosen auto feminised seeds ? Right ? Hmm ,

Your growing under a cfl light so this being your first grow id save a few of them seeds . Im under this assumption ? ,if that's all the seed you got , your first grow will be all trial and error and autos are very finicky to grow to get the best results out of them . They need are great start to there life , more on that another time.

Medium ,

in my opinion coco is fine and if you just get the one from bunnings do your plants a favour and wash / flush the coco a few times a week before your grow

Ferts ,

Canna a/b is fine relativly cheap , and just get a can of Gogo juice and either (seasol/ Charlie carp/ nitrosol) any of these 3 I find seasol the best bang for your buck

I'm sure others will be around and offer some other advice for you , good luck with the grow

Coco with perlite and worm castings works well, just make sure you use coco specific nutrients.  As DRSD said, autos need a good start, the first few weeks is all the growing they do, so if anything slows them down they will not produce well, I've had yields between 5 grams and 130 grams off the same strain, all down to environmental issues.  You need a light medium that the roots can grow through with ease, push the nutrient strength without going too far, and lots of good light.  You'll get a harvest with CFLs, but HPS lighting will make a big difference.  They'll be fine if you are just looking to get a feel for what you are doing.  Canna, or House & Garden, are popular nutrient brands, but there's plenty of other decent ones out there.  With electronics and equipment, avoid cheap Chinese junk like Growlush, it's not worth the money you save on most items. 

I'd have to say you would be better off learning on photoperiod plants as if you have problems during the vegetative stage you can just veg a bit longer to make up for it.  Took me a couple of attempts at autos to get a reasonable yield, and  then a couple more to get a good one, you just have to keep everything running perfect with them and they can do astounding things.  Search out some of Buzzo's grows to get an idea on growing autos.

Best of luck, and if you grow post a diary here and you'll get lots of help and advice throughout the grow.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I'd read a great beginner's guide using coco/perlite but had read mixed reviews about what to go with as a first grow- it seems like I'll have more control over what is going in with the coco and if autos are that finnicky, then it sounds like it might be best not to experiment with soils that could be too harsh from the start.

I am regretting getting the autofems (just assumed it would be simplest) although I have a few bag seeds and freebies to experiment with, as well as a few extra NLs in case I mess up within the first few weeks.

Will check out these users' journals now as well as reading a bit more on hps lighting. Given my death touch with gardening (I once killed one of those foolproof lucky bamboo plants) I figured I wouldn't get carried away with big investments just yet. With the hps generating a bit more heat, I figured I might need to invest more in ventilation/fan system.