Hyperfan, anyone tried these?

Been looking for a new exhaust fan as my cheapish centri fan was getting worse vibration, noisier, and starting to make some new noises that didn't inspire confidence.  And it made a horrible humming noise when using a fan speed controller.

My situation requires low noise levels, so I need to find a fan that runs quietly.  By this I mean the fan itself, not the airflow noise which I already have ways of dealing with as best as possible.  So looking for minimal vibration, bearing and motor noise, and something that doesn't hum when dialled down with a speed controller.

Narrowed it down to 2, and leaning towards this one as it has a speed controller designed to run with the motor.  http://www.way2grow.com.au/Products/HyperFan  this is also very compact and lightweight.

Would like to know if anyone has used one of these, and what their experience is with the issues above.

Also looking at this one  http://eng.blaubergventilatoren.de/catalog/turbo   (link works but I cant get it to show properly?)

The Blauberg would save me about $90, and does have a switch for min and max speed, but I'm worried that if the min speed is too low, which it is certain to be with warmer temps, that I would have to use my speed controller which could cause the humming noise.  I know that some people have used these and been very happy with them, but don't know if anyone has used them with an over the counter variable speed controller.

Any experience or knowledge on these fans would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sir PsychoHashy
  • Upvote 1

What are these mixed flows like with CF attached.

Sir Psycho... check out youtube... and not the shitty 100 dollar tests side by side crap that people do..

I saw a guy using the Hyper fan and its was loud as anything in his room.. we cant get teh vortex S fan (I think) mixed flow inline but we have the TD silent fan but cant find a price.. they have insulation to help with the fan noise... check those out too

Im tossing up between these blauberg mixed flows or the blauberg centrifugals... although cant find a centrifugal with the speed controller already installed... I know you can add it with theses fans though but need a sparky for that..

• Upvote 1

They both sound like they shouldn't have any trouble pulling through a carbon filter, but that's all part of the marketing hype which is part of the reason I'm looking for other people's experiences.

I've already checked out youtube, and have had trouble finding anything real world, and have been unable to find anything on the Blauberg.  Also haven't been able to find a price for the TD Silent.

Personally I'd be happy to pay the extra for the Hyperfan if I was sure it was going have a motor that runs quiet, but I'd be super pissed to get one only to find it was all marketing hype.  I noticed on one video review that whilst quiet at minimum setting, as soon as they cranked the Hyperfan up to 50% it seemed to be making a high pitched whirring noise that seemed to be separate to the air flow sound, but it's very hard to make these judgements from crap video camera audio.

I have contacted a retailer about the Blauberg with a speed controller, and was told that they can sell me a controller with it (thyristor or something like that) for an extra $80, but it would have to be hard wired in by an electrician.

Basically I need a fan that doesn't make motor noise that can be clearly heard at 2 metres through blankets, tent, and shed walls.  At the moment I have air flow noise down to a well and truly acceptable level, but the motor noise is clear and very suspicious at 2-3 metres away.

They both sound like they shouldn't have any trouble pulling through a carbon filter, but that's all part of the marketing hype which is part of the reason I'm looking for other people's experiences.

I've already checked out youtube, and have had trouble finding anything real world, and have been unable to find anything on the Blauberg.  Also haven't been able to find a price for the TD Silent.

Personally I'd be happy to pay the extra for the Hyperfan if I was sure it was going have a motor that runs quiet, but I'd be super pissed to get one only to find it was all marketing hype.  I noticed on one video review that whilst quiet at minimum setting, as soon as they cranked the Hyperfan up to 50% it seemed to be making a high pitched whirring noise that seemed to be separate to the air flow sound, but it's very hard to make these judgements from crap video camera audio.

I have contacted a retailer about the Blauberg with a speed controller, and was told that they can sell me a controller with it (thyristor or something like that) for an extra $80, but it would have to be hard wired in by an electrician.

Basically I need a fan that doesn't make motor noise that can be clearly heard at 2 metres through blankets, tent, and shed walls.  At the moment I have air flow noise down to a well and truly acceptable level, but the motor noise is clear and very suspicious at 2-3 metres away.

if you are talking about the blauberg centrifugal fans then thats the problem I have found... not keen on getting a sparky to put in a speed controller... you can find the mixed flows with speed controller and temp shut off on eprey.

The hyper fans sound loud IMO but perhaps get a larger one than needed and dial it back to 70%..

People confuse a loud fan with airflow noise.

Acoustic ducting either side of the fan will tell you exactly how noisy the actual motor is.

HyperFan's do appear to sound noisy, but they are very compact and move alot of air.

Once the acoustic ducting goes on, they are quiet even at full speed ;)

Whisper Silencer Fan is still the quietest I have seen though.

Peace.

Hiya SpH how's tricks?  Hope the legs are holding out :bongon:

I am going to have to replace a few items of equipment before next yr too.  I am thinking of this for ventilation

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAN-FAN-RK200S-217LITRES-SECOND-BUILD-SPEED-CONTROL-

/111390099205?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item19ef5e0705  

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHAT-PHRESH-FILTER-200X500MM-LIGHTEST-HYDROPONICS-CARBON-SCRUBBER-OZ-/121367806190?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item1c4215c0ee

but Im just window shopping now.

I've looked at the hyperfans and they look choice but I've only had noise feedback on the cans and westies- but the blauberg ones sound excellent.  The td silent series is interesting as well but I haven't been able to find the time to delve in to their characteristics much these school hols. 

I am saving cos I would like to be waaaay over-gunned with ventilation and stealth next year.  Tired of sneakin man I hate it. 

Interesting thread, cheers SPH.

faith :sun:

Hiya SpH how's tricks?  Hope the legs are holding out :bongon:

About the same Faith, I'm commited to a 2 plant outdoor grow this coming season but I reckon it might have to be the last :(

Ventilation seems to be about the hardest part to stealth with indoor growing, and in some situations it's vital and worth the extra expense.

Still can't quite decide between them, both about the same cost after adding a speed controller to the Blauberg.  After finding a youtube vid of a Blauberg running, I'd have to say I couldn't hear any extra noise over the Hyperfan, so between that, and Blauberg seeming to have an established reputation for quality, and the ability to unclip the fan from the housing for servicing, I'm starting to lean towards the Blauberg.  But I have looked at a Hyperfan in a shop a few months back and was super impressed with the compact size and light weight.  Also looked into a Whisper Silencer fan, but have a bad feeling about it for some reason I can't put my finger on.

I'll try make a decision tomorrow, and post my experience of whichever I end up with.