Unhappy seedlings 5 weeks old - need help bad

I tend to just flush the system out by running ph'd water for an hour or 2, replacing with fresh, and repeating until the ec doesn't increase over an hrs flushing, then straight back on nutes.

I believe that the ideal res temp is between 18-21 degrees from memory, and higher tends to lower oxygenation of the solution and foster root rot, so probably worth lowering that a bit.  If you have brown roots, particularly if they are slimy or an outer layer of gunk comes off if you run them between your fingers, you may have root rot, which will prevent the plant taking up nutrients.  There's a few treatments, Fongarid's the only one I've used, but it is my understanding that a bad case is near impossible to get rid of.  A little brown is not a definite sign, particularly if you still have plenty of fishboning in your roots.

Edited by Sir PsychoHashy

Cheers Sir Psy, more good points, thanks.

I do my flush pretty much the same way... 50L nute to waste, hose out and refill with fresh pH'd water - this gives me a 0.0 EC reading.

I don't thin k there is root rot, it's just that they're not nearly as white as they were in previous grows, not nearly as vigorous or plentiful for they time they've had - currently 13 days. Having said that, they were half dead, root bound and bloody sickly when they went into aero. My big problem was they did really well for the first few days, lots of growth... even though the buzz was killed a little as I could see the leaves were too dry, which turned into 'we're going brown and spotty now' and curling up on the tips and bloody dying. Fingers crossed they respond to tonight's effort... groan... takes hours...

I'll give the lowering of temps a try, bring them down to 21C as I'm pretty sure I ran temps at around 24C previously. But I'm into trying anything at this stage... I reckon that's a good suggestion mate.

On the roots question; I'm still torn between getting a new Oxy Plus or using the Root Zyme. The fact is I don't have any new Oxy Plus tonight and so I reckon I'll add a dose of Root Zyme to each of the tubs and possibly try Oxy again when everyone has recovered.

Thanks again for your input, it's really appreciated :thumbsup:  I'll post some pics of roots, plants and clones later tonight... that'll probably be early tomorrow morning as it's at least a 3 hour job.

I did.. cheers ehle_fan

.. not sure what you had in mind there ;)

You said in one post that the pH was 5.3 and in another 7+, if that's true your pH is fluctuating too much and the result is drooping unhappy plants showing signs of leaf curl and discoloration (nutrient lockout.) Burning can also occur, if it hasn't already.

So what I'm saying is you need to get that pH stable and keep within a tighter range, lets say +/- 0.3 in either direction of an ideal 5.8. Do that and I bet your problems will disappear within a couple of weeks.

GL.

Edited by ehle_fan

The B.A.C Topflower Nutrients are fine IMO

Dont use tapwater if you are, PH buffers in municipal water supply is around 8 and will fight the nutrient PH buffer (fluctuations)

Use tank, RO or distilled water

2ml per litre B.A.C Topflower

Few drops of your sterilizer  (H202 or Pythoff)

Water back down to 16 CF Max if above and PH to 5.7

Drench through and allow to drink/repair.

Allow proper cation exchange, dont over water by re watering too soon.

No enzymes/organics with Rockwool - Sterile only.

Peace

You said in one post that the pH was 5.3 and in another 7+, if that's true your pH is fluctuating too much and the result is drooping unhappy plants showing signs of leaf curl and discoloration (nutrient lockout.) Burning can also occur, if it hasn't already.

So what I'm saying is you need to get that pH stable and keep within a tighter range, lets say +/- 0.3 in either direction of an ideal 5.8. Do that and I bet your problems will disappear within a couple of weeks.

GL.

Ah, gotcha. The earlier pH of 7.6 was before I started testing the pH of the water when they were younger... They're all fairly stable now at around 5.5 - 5.8 depending on the tub.

Anyway, it appears that the issue WAS the nutes - 2 days since they've been on the new ones and they're all looking much better. I'll post photos in the grow diary https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/67998-airponics-revisited/page-3?do=findComment&comment=437275  and hopefully I won't need to post about this again! Thanks everyone for their input, check out their progress in the grow diary :)