Another compassionate plea!

KRON BOURKE

Question

Dan Haslan, who is terminally ill, says he will keep using cannabis to relieve his pain. And even his local cop supports him

• JANE HANSEN
  • The Sunday Telegraph
  • May 10, 2014 10:00PM

EVERY week Dan Haslan breaks the law by smoking marijuana and taking cannabis oil. He not only has the approval of his father, an ex-drug squad detective, but also has the blessings of his town’s top cop.

The 24-year-old has terminal cancer, and despite the illegality of cannabis use for medicinal reasons, the entire community, including the police have his back.

“I’ll probably get into trouble but why should we, with people with a terminal illness, create a criminal act for accessing things that relive their pain,” Tamworth Super Intendent Clint Pheeney said.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2014/03/18/1226857/940050-left.gif

He comes home after chemo, has a few drags and then comes in and has something to eat. To see this is nothing short of miraculous.
http://resources.news.com.au/files/2014/03/18/1226857/940141-right.gif

Lucy Haslan

“It’s not a case of turning a blind eye, we have always had discretion for people in possession of small amounts under the cannabis cautioning scheme.”

Diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2010, the fortnightly chemo that keeps Mr Haslan alive used to make him so violently ill he would have to be hospitalised for hydration.

Late last year Mr Haslan’s mother Lucy sourced illegally grown cannabis for her son as research shows it quells nausea.

“I haven’t been violently ill since I started on it, that alone is enough for me, from spending a night in hospital and losing five kilos every fortnight to not vomiting and being able to eat,” Mr Haslan said

Lucy Haslan said the drug’s effect is miraculous.

“He comes home after chemo, has a few drags and then comes in and has something to eat,” Ms Haslan said.

“To see this is nothing short of miraculous. He has not vomited since he has been having the cannabis after chemotherapy,” she said.

“Everything we are doing is illegal,” Mr Haslan’s wife Alyce said.

“But we have the support of the police, the support of the community and we are doing criminal activities because this is life or death.”

The pair, who were childhood sweethearts, married last year despite his grim prognosis.

Dan’s father Lou, a retired policeman, ran the drug squad for the North West region of NSW.

“I lectured on the prohibition of cannabis in the 70s because of the long term effects, the drug induced psychosis and we don’t want kids going to school stoned.

“It is not a soft drug, but we are not talking about that, the science is there, the use of cannabis for terminally ill people or people on chemo, it is a fact it does relieve nausea and gives them an appetite,” Mr Haslan, 61, said.

“We had steak and chips after chemo the other night for crying out loud.

“We raised our kids to be against drugs, but this is different, when it’s your kid and the doctors say there is nothing they can do for him, this is hope,” Mrs Haslan said.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2014/03/18/1226857/940050-left.gif

We have the support of the police, the support of the community and we are doing criminal activities because this is life or death
http://resources.news.com.au/files/2014/03/18/1226857/940141-right.gif

Lucy Haslan

The medicinal use of marijuana remains illegal Australia-wide. A trial announced by Labor premier Bob Carr in 2003 fell over because of concerns about supply and the current government also knocked back the recommendations of a cross-party parliamentary committee who unanimously recommending the move last year.

Health Minister Jillian Skinner said she had issues with the safety of crude cannabis.

“I have written to the Federal Government to request support for further clinical research to support the development of pharmaceutical grade cannabis medicines, as recommended last year,” Ms Skinner said.

“With only limited scientific evidence available on the safe use of crude cannabis, the NSW Government is unable to support the remaining four Committee recommendations, which seek to decriminalise the use of crude cannabis for selected patient groups based on medical approval,” she said.

Dan Haslan will keep using, illegal or not and has the support of the entire Tamworth community.

“I’d like them (politicians) to show a bit of compassion and not treat this like a political football, we are in a democracy where there is overwhelming support for it, so why is it not happening,” said Dan.

• Upvote 3

• Admin

He wouldn't be hard to track down at all. You already have his name and home town.

The truth is there are hundreds of people out there in the same position as Dan Haslan desperate for help and access to cannabis oil before their cancers kill them. I have hundreds of emails from people asking for help on where they can legally obtain cannabis oil, all of which I cannot help or direct anyone else to due to the stupid arcane profit orientated cannabis laws we live under... How ridiculous it is that a plant like cannabis is illegal which regardless of what some ignorant people believe is full of goodness for us both externally and internally.

The biggest tragedy in this story in my opinion is the fact that it had to affect their family and friends personally before adjusting their attitude towards cannabis, as I'm sure his father has raided and locked up plenty of cannabis growers some of which could well still be in gaol...

• Upvote 11

Applauds Oz.

You hit the nail right on the head. Too many people have a Fuck you Jack, I'm alright attitude, until they are personally touch by something that involves themselves, their family or friends. This is not restricted to canna med use, it is more far reaching and in my personal opinion, makes it all the more sadder.

Will the entire Tamworth Community, who supposedly support this poor bastard now,become vocal and push for changes to a law that prohibits the use of a drug that has proven medical benifits? It would be a shame to see all it slip back into a state of total apathy and continue with the status quo.

A great teacher, to my mind anyway, taught about selflessness. Where you act in the interests of others, for pure love, forgetting the self. You do not hurt the people and things that you totally love. It is a little more involved in philosophy, but you get the basic idea.

Edit, moved 1 word.

Edited by ZEN2U
  • Upvote 1

Jaol is spelt jail in australia oz.. lol ;)

I  however agree with you oz

Police can be pretty good in those respects. I think if you were a medical cannabis user and you were growing one or two plants inside in a tent away from public eye, why would they bother you? Correct me if I am wrong.

I think every educated, compassionate and moral human being would support people with illness using cannabis for medicinal purposes.

Edited by Cacafogo

Jaol is spelt jail in australia oz.. lol ;)

I  however agree with you oz

Police can be pretty good in those respects. I think if you were a medical cannabis user and you were growing one or two plants inside in a tent away from public eye, why would they bother you? Correct me if I am wrong.

I think every educated, compassionate and moral human being would support people with illness using cannabis for medicinal purposes.

IME the reason you are breaking the law by growing Cannabis matters little to police officers.

Gaol is the correct spelling in Australia.

Naycha :peace:

Edited by Oz
Added hyperlink gaol definition. Cheers Nay ;)
  • Upvote 3

Everything is black and white to them , they could not give a fuck if you re near deaths door using it to relieve the pain . They just want to get there quota to make sure there numbers look good for the month .

• Upvote 1

Im going to be that guy..the cop spent his fucken cop career denouncing and peddling half truths and lies about cannabis without really forming his own opinion. I am sure he arrested his fare share of stoners as well. But as soon as someone very close to him is on his death bed he turns to the very thing he locked people up for. Ahh humans.

I can imagine him in 2005 arresting some poor sod who is riddled with a debilitating illness claiming he needs pot for his illness for this guy to turn around and say "yeah sure mate good try, you still are in possession of a banned substance so your going to jail"

I feel for his son but fuck the dad regardless if his opinion has changed becasue he is in the position he is with his son.

Edited by MrTrimbole
  • Upvote 2

So thrilled to see the local police are actually supportive. :good:

Only supportive because its one of them.

If it were anyone else they would prob arrest them for breaking the law.

Cops in australia go two ways with pot, they either turn a blind eye to small usage (rare) or arrest you regardless of the amount.

• Upvote 1