Outdoor Shed Grow

I've got a single small plant in a wardrobe in my shed. I grew throughout a hot summer with no problems whatsoever - Just ran light at night. Mind you, I'm only using a 250W HPS so it's not too hard to control heat. My summer plants coped with temps up to 40C during lights on (maybe a bit over for an hour or so, not constantly). They grew like wildfire. :/

Haven't tried LEDs. For me, it's CFL for veg and HPS for flowering. Works well, so far.

Good luck! Keep us posted with some pics etc. as/when you get set up. And don't be afraid to ask questions. People here are all very helpful.

Couple of guys on here have set up grows in garden sheds, including myself (link to the 2nd grow at bottom of my post).  I personally would avoid summertime growing, but it can be done.

Effective ventilation is paramount, intake and exhaust from outside the shed and some shed ventilation as well if possible.  Aside from that, watch out for light leaks and excess noise levels as these are things that should not be coming from a shed in the backyard and will attract the attention of your neighbours.

Good luck, and please post your grow if you do one.

• Upvote 1

Got to admit, a little intimidated after checking some of the grow diaries. Ill keep a record but won't be posting unless I have something half respectable :P. Will aim for spring so I dont do any premature baking ;).

Brother in law used to rent the property and set up solar lighting in the shed. Love the idea of an off the grid grow, but doubt thered be enough power for what I'm after. One can dream. ..

Effective ventilation is paramount, intake and exhaust from outside the shed and some shed ventilation as well if possible.  Aside from that, watch out for light leaks and excess noise levels as these are things that should not be coming from a shed in the backyard and will attract the attention of your neighbours.

+1 to all of this. Some great advice here. I have personally spent the same amount on ventilation as I have on lighting. They are both arguably equally important.

Also, a tent or wardrobe is a great way to keep down light leaks from your shed if you grow at night. You'd be surprised how much of a suspicious glow your shed will generate at night for all your neighbours to see if you run a light in there without covering!

Good advice, thanks! Ill probably end up hanging a tarp to block out most of the light and to act as a reflector. Is the ventilation to help with the smell, or is it for plant health, like avoiding fungus etc?

Regarding lighting, I was hoping to get some help. Ill only be attempting 2 grows to start with and was hoping to keep things simple (and cheap ;). HPS seems to be the weapon of choice, but would fluorescent work given a big enough light source? Would they have anything suitable at the local bunnings?

Was thinking of getting 1-2 of these:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-240v-portable-fluorescent-work-light_p4411881

But not too sure if it'll be strong enough..

Always open to suggestions. Cheers :D

Is the ventilation to help with the smell, or is it for plant health, like avoiding fungus etc?

Regarding lighting, I was hoping to get some help. Ill only be attempting 2 grows to start with and was hoping to keep things simple (and cheap ;). HPS seems to be the weapon of choice, but would fluorescent work given a big enough light source? Would they have anything suitable at the local bunnings?

It is absolutely for plant health. Smell is only an issue if you are worried about stealth. Your plant needs to respire through its leaves. It loses moisture into the air, and then draws more up through the roots. This is part of the plant's biology. Ventilation helps this to happen, as well as providing the plant with fresh air which is also important, apparently. I run a cool tube around my light, which sucks air out of the closet, and I have a small computer flan blowing air into the cabinet 24/7 as an 'active intake'. My plant looks great, so I guess that's an indication that it doesn't hurt to have fresh air on her! ;)

You need a decent light. I reckon you could get a good single CFL globe and socket from your local hydro shop, or eBay. Bunnings is fine but I don't know about using work lights and stuff. Maybe screw a few socket fittings to a piece of wood and wire them up instead..? You may as well look to spend a few hundred dollars, get a decent light and fan. It's not that much. Hydro shops and eBay are great. You can get entire kits of lights, tents, and vents etc on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks.

[Disclaimer: I'm still pretty new to this myself, so if a more experienced grower disagrees with what I say then you should totally listen to what they say instead].

Edited by SpaceMonkey23