Who uses a digital USB microscope? Thoughts? What software do you use?

Hi everyone.

Who else here owns a digital USB microscope? I just bought this one from Jaycar. It's OK, but the software which comes with it sucks: keeps causing my computer to hang and becomes unresponsive, and uses a lot of CPU.

The instructions are not too bad, but I'm trying to figure out how the magnification can be increased or decreased across the range from 10x to 300x (which is what the sales materials and box specify). It seems like you increase magnification by turning the dial on the side, and then you focus by moving the microscope closer to or further away from the object that you are imagine. Is this correct? I have never used a microscope before... lol

Also, what software do you use for viewing through the microscope and taking images? Mine came bundled with one called MicroCapture - Pro. The Photo Booth application on my Mac also does an OK job if I just want to have a quick look. Can we use other types of software to work with these microscopes (ie. webcam apps)?

Thanks all for your input.

P. S. A couple of my first shots of some bud I grew myself a few months ago. As you can see, the magnification allows a pretty good examination of the trichome heads (whatever they're called...), but it's damn hard to get a good focus. If anybody could help with pointers on how I can improve my imaging, I'd be very grateful.

post-51990-0-76119900-1396657001_thumb.jpg

This one's interesting because you can see how hairlike the trichomes appear to be before their heads fill up with lovely resin!

post-51990-0-96162400-1396657045_thumb.jpg

hey man i picked up a cheap Chinese no name model from eBay, produces the same quality as yours, and yes i had the same problem with the program so get this i use the same program small lightweight simple usb cam viewer very basic just lets you see and take snapshots.

post-40304-0-49328700-1396660556_thumb.jpg post-40304-0-91783400-1396660558_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stoned Jester
  • Upvote 1

Hey Space,

I have 2 different usb microscopes. Both are a few years old now and things may have improved since I got them.

The first is a Carson Zorb. http://www.carsonoptical.com/Pocket_Microscopes/Pocket_Microscopes/MM-480B Its an egg shaped scope but the problem with it is that it has a fixed magnification and although it has a digital zoom, the clarity of the images is shit when using the zoom function. Also some scopes have no light source and when using an external light source, you get shadows. 

The 2nd is the same/similar to yours I believe. It has two focal points. One at 30x and the other at 300x. The good thing with this one is that it has an optical zoom making the images clearer with no pixilation, unlike the Zorb. And has its own light source

The technology is fairly new (Basic) and although you can buy better, you'll pay thousands at the moment. These are primarily used in scientific laboratories  As the technology improves the prices will drop as they have with cameras. There are some available that have a stand which works like a standard optical scope. As you can vary the focus via a dial on the side. Mine came with a stand but its a pain in the ass to balance and hold stable when changing the magnifications or focus. But it can be done

Its the same with the software I believe. As they improve the hardware the software will develop also. I cant use the Zorb software with the Digitech and as you say it comes with its own "MicroCapture" software, which is what I use.

Another disadvantage I have found is viewing 'on the plant' is difficult unless you have a laptop or a bloody long usb cable. To get around this I have a handheld optical microscope from Carsons. This is it http://carsonoptical.com/Pocket_Microscopes/Pocket_Microscopes/MM-100 and it works a treat, it has optical zoom and focus, but you cant take images with it.

But in saying all of this I do find them a handy piece of kit to have and not just in regard to growing.

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your input, fellas.

I've also discovered that I can use VLC Media Player to view through the microscope, and it seems to handle the higher resolution well (Photo Booth for Mac only produces images at 640 x 480 res).

I think that the depth of field becomes very shallow at the higher magnifications, which is probably what makes focusing so difficult.

I have been messing around with this thing for hours now. I'm having a ball. It's a great 'stoner' toy!! :D

Who else here owns a digital USB microscope?

I have a digital microscope, but I use a manual one more often.

I'm trying to figure out how the magnification can be increased or decreased across the range from 10x to 300x (which is what the sales materials and box specify). It seems like you increase magnification by turning the dial on the side, and then you focus by moving the microscope closer to or further away from the object that you are imagine. Is this correct? I have never used a microscope before... lol

That's pretty much the guts of it... if it allows you to view down the lens, via an eye piece, there most likely is a 3rd fine focus that is achieved by rotating the top of the eye piece... do this after you have got as fine a focus as possible by moving the barrel of the microscope either closer to or further away from the speciem plate.

I'd suggest you start with 50X and get familiar with achieving fine focus at that magnification before moving on to higher mag.

• Upvote 1

This is a photo of my current grow of a Barney's Liberty Haze Fem at 4 weeks of flowering. This is at the lowest level of magnification (so around 10x I guess).

post-51990-0-33208600-1396695730_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of shots at the highest level of magnification (ie. 300x) of the same plant. The first one is a young fan leaf, the second a branch at some point (probably the insertion point of the aforementioned juveniile leaf). I'll say one thing about this BLH - even the fan leaves have crystals visible on them at 4 weeks flowering. I haven't seen that on my previous plants. Not sure if it's common or not.

post-51990-0-73062500-1396695878_thumb.jpgpost-51990-0-71607400-1396695895_thumb.jpg

Interesting to see the contrast with a low & high magnification shot of an indica bud I bought on a TOR site last year.

Amazing crystals here.

post-51990-0-30422000-1396695966_thumb.jpgpost-51990-0-49941800-1396695982_thumb.jpg

Well, all I can say is it's an OK product for the price, but using it is not all plain sailing, and requires a fair bit of practice to get the hang of what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Edited by SpaceMonkey23