phillips 315w LEC with D-Papillon reflector

Is it an issue running the light off an extension cord ? I cant seem to find a solid answer. The power point is just a little too far away, its got its own dedicate point, but its 5 meters away!

The distance between the power point and the ballast is not a concern unless it is 200m or more.

The distance between the ballast and the bulb is the only concern for RF losses.

The Dpap being a complete fixture and direct ballast to bulb config will have no issues. :)

Ahh Stanley that's not 'quite' right.

Its output of light is 315watts, buts that's not input or use

Those being two different measures

OOjsd

It's not the watts you need to be concerned about for extension cords etc. Its the amps. Common household cables/powerboards are 'normally' 10amp rating, but many hardware stores have heavy duty cables and powerboards, some rate 20amps. If you can go BIGGER. Although your cables/powerboards may rate at a higher amp, check your powerbox and fuses. If the fuse says 10amp in the powerbox but your setup is pulling 20 amp, the fuse will pop everytime and even in having 20 amp cables/powerboards won't help. The circuit will pop at its lowest rating.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Ahh Stanley that's not 'quite' right.

Its output of light is 315watts, buts that's not input or use

Those being two different measures

:twiddle:

Yes true that Merl,

In context, running a single D-Pap with an extension with the given parameters is well within overload factors.

I'm not an electronic or electrical engineer by trade or degree.

I do however err on the side of safety and common sense and hopefully give advice that is sound, based on personal experience.

Admit ignorance about the actual amps or usage ref: "two different measures" but have operated without grief for many years.

Not having a shot m8, peace and thanks for the advice  :good:

If your power point is rated at 10amp an you only need a 5 meter extension power cord you will be find but try an buy a 15 amp or 20amp power extension cord then you will be more than safe.

But like Merl said if the fuses in the power meter box outside on the wall of your house are only rated at 10 amp you mite have an prob with fuses popping but you will most likely fined that the fuses are rated at 15amp in the wall power meter box.

If in you have probs with the fuses popping just get the fuses changed to 15amp or 20amp fuses an fuses blocks that the fuses fit into.

Get a lecy  to change the fuse blocks or if you know what you are doing change them yourself just make sure you turn off the main power switch in the fuse box an kill  all power.

But play it safe an get a lecy to change it all for you ,just tell them you computer draws to many amps on that  circit.

The wire from your fuse box to the power point should be around the 10 amp to 20 amp rated so that should be fine.

Regards,Dingo-2008.   

:twiddle:

I do however err on the side of safety and common sense and hopefully give advice that is sound, based on personal experience.

Admit ignorance about the actual amps or usage ref: "two different measures" but have operated without grief for many years.

Not having a shot m8, peace and thanks for the advice  :good:

All's good Stan

Part of the problem with these groups is that although we are signed in members and some of us 420 members, there are many a lurker browsing thru here. If they read some info and think I can run ALL my lights off a single 10 amp circuit, end up having a fire, then come pointing the finger at us (as some have previously), its better they know.

And again along those same sort of lines you talk of 'common sense'. The problem with common sense is that it's not very common at all. What you and I may consider common sense, some people have no bloody idea whatsoever. This is why I am a bit long winded in some responses, cos I spell it out A+B=C and why A+B=C. This way other members and lurkers don't just get the theory but the why of that theory.

Merl1n

• Upvote 3