Green moss on coco in my cupboard- do I have a problem?

Hi all, just looking to get some advice from some experienced stoners / growers.

I have a little bit of green moss growing on the surface of the coco in one of my 1.5 ltr seedling pots (100% coco grow), should I be looking at removing this or is it something that is harmless or maybe even beneficial to the grow medium?

Cheers in advance ;)

Zen Budda  :good:

I have been growing in coco for a few years and never ever seen moss growing on coco .

Your coco must been staying moist / wet for this to happen . Maybe watering to often ?

I dont know if its going to bad for your medium , but certainly not normal . 

Cheers for the input Badseed,

Possible overwatering, I reduced watering times to once every 3 days about a week back from daily watering.

I would described the coco as moist but definitely not waterlogged, I might scrape the moss out anyway as a precaution, it's a very small amount. I'll try and take a pic before I clean it not sure it will turn out though.

Humidity in the room is around 50% ( I had to slow my fans down considerably as the humidity dropped quite low on occasions) and avg temp would be 28c, so they're going quite well in that environment.

I'm new at this and just looking to nip problems in the bud before they get out of hand

Cheers,

Zen Budda :)

I have been using the tried and tested lifted method for years as a indication on when to water  .

Once watered feel the weight of the pot and when the pot has lost about 50% of its weight when watered   think about watering again .

Imo the 1 of the keys for me when growing in coco is the drying out of the medium . It draws air down into the medium as it drys out .

You do not want sopping wet coco all the time , its just not good for the most important part of the plant , The roots !

• Upvote 1

Everything points towards the coco being too wet, I lifted the pots and the plant that looked the least healthy was in the heaviest pot.

I actually found a big variance between the weights of the pots even though I was trying to give them an even feed from the watering can

Will watch this carefully from now on.

Most people new growing are keen and tend to love there little plants ..... to death lol

I might water a seedling 2- 3 times in 14 days , less is more sometimes and patients is a must .

Always start in small pots and reppot 2-3 times before finale pot size .  Build up the root mass before transplanting.

Goodluck :)

Agreed less is more,

you could put some Clay Balls/Pellets on top that breaks the surface area so its harder for lichen and allege to take foot hold. And i find you don't get big water ditch's on top of the soil and this is probably most important is it promotes lateral roots to form out of the main stem and in some not all it will greatly improve the plants ability to uptake nutes and moisture.

All good advice, much appreciated, particularly the stuff about the overwatering.

Will post pics tomoz, I think they're around 21 days now, all looks pretty good, the sick one seems to be growing too, good sign.

Saw my first couple of knats tonight, will look into that.

Most people new growing are keen and tend to love there little plants ..... to death lol

I might water a seedling 2- 3 times in 14 days , less is more sometimes and patients is a must .

Always start in small pots and reppot 2-3 times before finale pot size .  Build up the root mass before transplanting.

Goodluck :)

The reason for the green algae growing on top layer of soil is a combination of two things the light and the nitrogen in the grow solution, really has no effect on health of plant IMO dose good. To fix it can't stop the light or the nutes simply because plants need light and nute to live simply cover the top layer of soil with reflective waterproof material.

Haze