Gotta shocking problem.

Every time I fire up my grow light everything metallic in my room becomes live and gives me a heavy jolt which sucks a bit.

I've tried unplugging the ballast and no electrocution, I've tried just running the timer and that's not it so it must be the frigging ballast (400/600 watt solistek dimmable)

When I touch a metal object I get jolted every 30 seconds or so, It's not continuous so it seems like a capacitor charging and discharging which almost certainly means it's the ballast.(this only happens when the ballast and light are on).

Has anyone here encountered this problem before and does anyone have any ideas on what it may be.

I'm baffled and I don't have a multimeter so I can't test the fucking thing without frying myself in the process.

It's a worry.

Edited by jimmywrangles

Well the Mods have spoken so that bugger is going back today.

The Ballast is touching a metal frame inside the shed which in turn touches the light housing which is connected by chains to the scrog and blah blah blah I hate growing shit sometimes, It's these shitty little things that make life hard...plus I'm almost certain I've thrown out the bloody receipt...shit.

Anyone good for a lend of $300 :)

Well the Mods have spoken so that bugger is going back today.

The Ballast is touching a metal frame inside the shed which in turn touches the light housing which is connected by chains to the scrog and blah blah blah I hate growing shit sometimes, It's these shitty little things that make life hard...plus I'm almost certain I've thrown out the bloody receipt...shit.

Anyone good for a lend of $300 :)

Without a receipt any shop would be extremely unlikely to take it back.  The ballast should come with a manufacturer warranty though so I would get in contact with them and hope that a serial number is good enough for them to take it back.

Without a receipt any shop would be extremely unlikely to take it back.  The ballast should come with a manufacturer warranty though so I would get in contact with them and hope that a serial number is good enough for them to take it back.

If he keeps copies of the receipts and if he wants me to keep coming back he'll take it.

I spend a lot of money at the local hydro shop.

It sounds like a grounding issue and could be a wire loose where the globe fits into the socket and might not be the ballast. If you are getting a shock from the reflector I would first look at that end and try getting another light socket. You can also take you ballast to a tv repairer and have him test it for issues. 

I've swapped out the entire shade/socket with a spare and it's still happening so it's not the socket.

I'll keep the TV guy in mind because it's still an issue as to whether i can get it replaced.

Thanks for the reply.