3D Printing site

Bit of an Update for anyone that is interested
I have sourced a new printer head from the U.S.
I decided it will be easier for me to obtain an already complete heatblock and head than travelling back and forth to the lathe
Its going to take a week to get ere. So lets see

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

Talk about reviving a dead post!!! lol

As many of you know, I ain't been well, so I've had a bit of time on my hands and I FINALLY got me a brass printerhead

I'll take some pics of it and keep yas all posted

Might need to pick ya brains for ideas as a few of yas are technically minded (I hope lol )

Lets see if we can get this bloody thing to work lol

Merl1n

OK, I said I'd post some pics, so here goes

post-24238-0-71746900-1423968259_thumb.jpg

I placed the lighter next to it to give some idea of dimensions

post-24238-0-81728300-1423967398_thumb.jpg

The larger hole is for the heating resistor

The smaller hole is for the thermosistor (temp gauge) The original idea used a thermocouple, which is a bit like a bimetal switch used in a kettle, the idea being that as the two metals heat up at different speeds, one will expand quicker than the other, thus breaking the connection. So I believe the program settings will need to be altered for the correct readings from the thermosistor to take effect.

Within the threaded stem, I've inserted a piece of Teflon tube. This is 'supposed' to stop the molten plastic from sticking to the brass stem. I say 'supposed' because that is exactly what has happened and now I have blocked up the head. I don't seem to be able to remove it as the raw plastic stock and the Teflon have amalgamated in the stem and got stock DOH. Luckily I still have more Teflon tube so I maybe able to replace it, IF and that's a BIG 'IF' I can get the amalgamated crap out without damaging anything. So again its a case of lets see.

Merl1n