canna coco nutrient outdoors too much nitrogen in flower ?

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has grown outdoors using coco and canna nutrients. I have been having some great results and getting some large plants. The problem i'm having is,  there is too much nitrogen in the canna coco nutrient during the flowering cycle which makes the plants more susceptible to mold because the nitrogen makes the cell walls thinner. I am wondering if anyone else is using an alternate nutrient outdoors during flower. ? Cheers

Mould will grow on any plant given half a chance and personally I think thicker cell walls causes more problems because the plants I've used too much silica on have become much thicker and harder than they otherwise would have and the mould on them has always been far worse than other plants.  I had one plant last crop that was like a sneaky rotten potato.  It looked fine and was hard on the outside but once when i brought it in for a sniff my finger went into the bud and discovered a horrid sloppy mess of mould that nearly had me blow chunks :sick

If you're having issues with too much nitrogen though raise the ph slightly.  The higher it goes the less of it the plant will be able to use nitrogen while giving greater access to other nutrients as well.

Mould will grow on any plant given half a chance and personally I think thicker cell walls causes more problems because the plants I've used too much silica on have become much thicker and harder than they otherwise would have and the mould on them has always been far worse than other plants.  I had one plant last crop that was like a sneaky rotten potato.  It looked fine and was hard on the outside but once when i brought it in for a sniff my finger went into the bud and discovered a horrid sloppy mess of mould that nearly had me blow chunks :sick

If you're having issues with too much nitrogen though raise the ph slightly.  The higher it goes the less of it the plant will be able to use nitrogen while giving greater access to other nutrients as well.

Ok, thats completely different from the conventional hype that silica strengthens cell walls, thus making insect bites, which is the main cause of mold "other than caterpillar shit " less damaging. I have been running my ph around 6 and ec around 0.8 as I find any more is a waist of nutrient and also its been hot lately. I dont have mold issues now but did have some last year and am trying to avoid them this year. Do you advocate raising the ph as the flowers ripen ? Cheers

Edited by hermananian

Have you considered that nitrogen may not be the cause of your mould problem? With enough humidity and temperature mould spores will germinate on your plants if they are present imo. Mould can be present without insect bites and caterpillar poo being present.

If you have consistent mould problems I would recommend doing anything you can to keep moisture off your plants and if necessary changing to a less mould prone strain/phenotype.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 3

I have played with lots of strains over the years, I am now running some mandala strains which I have found to be mold resistant in the past, though I am running from clone this year and not seed. I am in a high humidity area so i understand that mold can be a problem though I have found that insects seem to go with the mold especially white fly. I wish I could keep the rain off my plants but that's not feasible. I am trying to create the least mold attractive environment and from my readings too much nitrogen is one of the causes due to cell walls being bloated. If anyone is interested this is a good read http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Preventing-Bud-Mold

Cheers

I have played with lots of strains over the years, I am now running some mandala strains which I have found to be mold resistant in the past, though I am running from clone this year and not seed. I am in a high humidity area so i understand that mold can be a problem though I have found that insects seem to go with the mold especially white fly. I wish I could keep the rain off my plants but that's not feasible. I am trying to create the least mold attractive environment and from my readings too much nitrogen is one of the causes due to cell walls being bloated. If anyone is interested this is a good read http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Preventing-Bud-Mold

Cheers

G'day hermanian :toke: cheers for the link I like the Mandala site, be nice to order direct hey.  I could understand what you are talking re N and bloating.  Like when seedlings are stretching or earrly flower when they're shooting for the moon but the growth is so fast they can get a little feeble and flimsy until they 'catch up"  Nice topic.

Peace to youand good growing.  f :sun:

Peace and good growing

I have been using canna coco for years indoors as well with no problems and large yields, though indoors everything can be controlled. Before using coco I used to grow in grodan flock also using canna nutrient. The difference is that with growwool you have a specific flores nutrient. This is my concern for the canna coco outdoors it is not adjusted for flower thus high nitrogen levels during flower. i am not talking about nitrogen toxicity I am talking about bloated cell walls during flower which makes the plant more susceptible to mold. And I am very careful not to splash any nutrients on my six foot clones and I always water at daybreak.

Cheers 

Edited by hermananian

G'day hermanian :toke: cheers for the link I like the Mandala site, be nice to order direct hey.  I could understand what you are talking re N and bloating.  Like when seedlings are stretching or earrly flower when they're shooting for the moon but the growth is so fast they can get a little feeble and flimsy until they 'catch up"  Nice topic.

Peace to youand good growing.  f :sun:

Peace and good growing

Hi Faith, It would be good, I have been in touch and they wont send to Oz pointing to our draconian laws and not wanting to get anyone in trouble.

Cheers Herman