Critters in the back yard

Louise

Hard to tell size without something to relate to bur the little king fisher is sitting on a garden border that is only 4 inches wide so that make him about 3 inches (75mm) tall.  A magic little bird.  We also get forest king fishers, blue winged kookaburras and laughing kookaburras but they are very camera shy.

Hey Greybeard, for the camera shy you can try seeding the ground or a platform with treats for a few days.

I've found you can entice the Kookaburras out into the open with a bit of mince beef. Fill an ice tray with mince, freeze and the just pop out a couple of frozen mince pellets each day. It will also attract magpies, chuffs, currowongs, and butcherbirds.

if you want to feed the birds to bring them into your yard Katt, only feed a small amount. Make it a regularly timed treat, rather than putting out masses of food. If you put out a lot of food some birds may stop looking for their own food... this leaves them dependant on you to feed them.

This might sound fun but it can be very tough on the birds if you decide to stop feeding, go on holiday or move house.

• Upvote 3

The only time we put food out for the birds is towards the end of the dry season as food on the ground for seed eaters gets very scarce.  The meat eaters like magpies, butcher birds and kingfishers can find plenty of food all year, lizards bugs and such.  The birds being camera shy just means that I have to be more sneaky when I have a camera in my hand.  Thanks to all for the compliments on the photos.

Time to spark up a number.

Greybeard