Best 150mm extraction fans

Hiya OzStoners, How's tricks?

I am currently looking at 150mm extraction fans primarily because I will be growing through summer again-bummer I know but hey, no meds and I'm pretty hampered in the ability to move my lower half of my body without the chronic pain of severe osteoarthritis.  I can deal, but its much nicer quality of life for me, and spesh the kids when I can confuse the pain and ease my mind. 

Of course it is an open forum, but I consider the 150's seem to be the most widely used piece of equipment in general.  But hey its just a focus, not exclusive.

Parameters of airflow, silence/stealth, quality and price come to mind as a start, with and special qualities or faults/idiosyncracies added as experienced buy fellow growers.  I've read can, westaflex, all vent, blauberg and a few more that don't come to mind as easily but haven't come across many specifics concernign for example 'why its the one I use' if yas get my drift?  Like we know the numbers on paper don't always live up to the specs sometimes when employed in our situation.  IMO there is no substitute for the experience(s) of the user in our environments. 

Due to the summer stuff happening, I have been thinking about and upgrade to a 150 to really move air through my cupboard.

i am currently running  a can rs125 centri sucking through a can 2600 filter then down through a 400mm long 125mm cooltube then out through the ceiling of the 'drobe. lighting is a 400w son-T controlled by a lumatek 250/400 elctronic ballast.  I am  Having trouble pinning it down to a temp I (and my ladies) are comfortable with.  My previous 2 grows were configured a little differently with the fan sucking through an open-ended 600mm length 150mm cooltube which kept the temps reasonable (I have recently finished a grow with a daytime lighting regime and kept it under control) but it hogged too much of my grow space-yeah, it became a real pain in the back and knees (read arse as well lol ) and although cool enough, restricted how big I could go with my plants and like I said-it became a real hassle when the cupbard is full-just no room to move (for the pants and I).  so I'm checking out 150mm centrifugals as well as mixed flow fans. Stealth is paramount so I'm looking at something less than 40 db.

What do the growers think?

Peace and contentment in yas in spirits, mind and bodies stoners.

Faith :sun:

Canfan 150rs is a well known reliable 150mm centrifugal fan that is more quiet than most.

I don't find it ideal for my needs as it doesn't pull as much air as some of the other brands / models.

Are you running your Filter on a separate fan, or the same 125mm connected to the cooltube?

Cyclone -

:twiddle:

Hya crunk :peace:  cheers mate.  Are you using this with a carbon filter or straight exhaust? Is it your inlet fan?  I need it to pull through my carbon filter and cooltube. Not too sure of an inline for this, I was thinking more of a 150 centri or mixed flow to replace my can 125.  I do have a 100mm allvent inline I was using for my seedlings in a little cupboard-might hook up an active intake with it :twiddle:  Thanks for the input :bongon:

Canfan 150rs is a well known reliable 150mm centrifugal fan that is more quiet than most.

I don't find it ideal for my needs as it doesn't pull as much air as some of the other brands / models.

Are you running your Filter on a separate fan, or the same 125mm connected to the cooltube?

Cyclone -

Hi Cyclone, yeah  i haven't had any hassles at all with the can fan or filter, and yes i am drawing through the cf, through the 'tube and out the top of the closet.  it should be moving enough air through my space (and has done but I was thinking more flow will give me a fair bit more leniency re humidity and heat extraction.  so far, If I were to purchase tomorrow I would probably go the can simply because of the reliability and it is relatively quiet.  last grows i pushed through it after drawing through the cooltube in the closet (the cf was on top of the robe)  it seemed a lot quieter?

Hey Faith,

I am running 150mm Canfan / silencer/ mountain air carbon filter..

Can fan comes with built in speed controller...my pedestal fan is noisier.

I am blowing out of the filter instead of sucking through it, as I have limited space...and works a treat!

Hi sunsetcoastreefer, thanks for the comments mate.  i really like the speed control concept-this will be a feature of my next fan even if an optional extra.  are you able to finely adjust with the can or is it 2speed or suchlike? how large is your space? My grow area is .935m^3 or 33 cubic feet if my math is on ;)

Thanks mucho for the replies, like I mentioned, the can 125 is a great little fan, I just think I require a bit more volume through this summer.  any more thoughts?

Peace and good growing :sun:

Hya crunk :peace:  cheers mate.  Are you using this with a carbon filter or straight exhaust? Is it your inlet fan?  I need it to pull through my carbon filter and cooltube. Not too sure of an inline for this, I was thinking more of a 150 centri or mixed flow to replace my can 125.  I do have a 100mm allvent inline I was using for my seedlings in a little cupboard-might hook up an active intake with it :twiddle:  Thanks for the input :bongon:

Hi Cyclone, yeah  i haven't had any hassles at all with the can fan or filter, and yes i am drawing through the cf, through the 'tube and out the top of the closet.  it should be moving enough air through my space (and has done but I was thinking more flow will give me a fair bit more leniency re humidity and heat extraction.  so far, If I were to purchase tomorrow I would probably go the can simply because of the reliability and it is relatively quiet.  last grows i pushed through it after drawing through the cooltube in the closet (the cf was on top of the robe)  it seemed a lot quieter?

Hi sunsetcoastreefer, thanks for the comments mate.  i really like the speed control concept-this will be a feature of my next fan even if an optional extra.  are you able to finely adjust with the can or is it 2speed or suchlike? how large is your space? My grow area is .935m^3 or 33 cubic feet if my math is on ;)

Thanks mucho for the replies, like I mentioned, the can 125 is a great little fan, I just think I require a bit more volume through this summer.  any more thoughts?

Peace and good growing :sun:

Hey Faith,

Mine has inbuilt fan controller with 5 settings.

space is 1.2m x 1.2m x2m   

2.88 m 2 i think if that helps

Hey faith

Wat size room is the Cupboard in? were is all the warm air going after it's passed through?

You can move as much air around without proper results. When u suck air through the fan out it will create a vacuum in the tent sucking air from outside back in. If you don't have fresh cooler air going back in circulating you will find it hard to control temps and plants will have trouble growing.

I run my filter in to the roof hanging from the rafters with the fan taped to filter no noise and most importantly replace old air with fresh outside air by leaving window open a little.

Haze

• Upvote 1

I am using mine just as an intake fan. I don't have a cooltube or CF. It has some pretty good power though. I'd spend the extra cash if you have it, and get a centri fan.  And i pretty much just have computer fans going in my seedling cupboard. Still keeps the temps under 30c on a hot day :) 

Hey Faith,

Mine has inbuilt fan controller with 5 settings.

space is 1.2m x 1.2m x2m   

2.88 m 2 i think if that helps

Hi sunset- thanks mate, I have a nice vibe about the can fans-the 125 is a really nice little fan and it sufficed nicely last time, particularly in winter.  5 settings would give heaps of flow control which could be very handy.  I like the idea of adjustment to suit particular circumstances ie on cooler days taking it down to a fine tuned whisper and hotter days max out the filter lol I am having trouble finding specs on the decibel levels of the ruck/can fans-there is a formula but I'll prolly need an hour or so to work it out lol Thanks heaps

Hey faith

Wat size room is the Cupboard in? were is all the warm air going after it's passed through?

You can move as much air around without proper results. When u suck air through the fan out it will create a vacuum in the tent sucking air from outside back in. If you don't have fresh cooler air going back in circulating you will find it hard to control temps and plants will have trouble growing.

I run my filter in to the roof hanging from the rafters with the fan taped to filter no noise and most importantly replace old air with fresh outside air by leaving window open a little.

Haze

Hi haze thanks for having a look.  The volume of my cupbard is .935m^3 or 33 cubic feet if my math is on.  Floor area is .55 m3 or just under 6 square feet. 

I am currently running  a can rs125 centri sucking through a can 2600 filter then down through a 400mm long 125mm cooltube then out through the ceiling of the 'drobe. Lighting is a 400w son-T controlled by a lumatek 250/400 electronic ballast.  I am  Having trouble pinning it down to a temp I (and my ladies) are comfortable with. 

My previous 2 grows were configured a little differently,  with the fan sucking through an open-ended 600mm length 150mm cooltube, up through the ceiling of the cupboard and pushing through the can 2600 filter and I had little heat probs even last summer where the hassles seemed to be more pests than temp....though humidity came into it and also a tornado and flood and no power for 3 days...no bullshit lol my robe is downstairs under the house on the swe side so its only morning heat that heats the outside skin of the wall forhalf a day then she's shade.  I really can't vent through the floor and up into the roof at this time.  I would love to though :good:

Dang I ramble lol so to answer the question where its going... the exhausted air is being discharged into the garage which is an open area size of which is the footprint of the house.

Passive intake is just under 2 times the area of the 125mm fan and I am building another over the next couple of days to open it up some more.  I usualldy have plenty of natural cool fresh air coming in from the se but which has shown me (much harder to get some flow through the garage that the cupboard is in) the need for some extra something in these circumstances.  i am planning to upgrad to a slightly bigger size grow area and I'm thinking i will buy the fan that will be employed in it, and if I can alleviate my heat problems with the current configuration all the better.  How much difference would you think the smaller cooltube would make?  cheers for you input haze,, I appreciate it :D

Here are a couple of pics showing both configurations.

post-48457-0-76443100-1386211232_thumb.jpgpost-48457-0-78236600-1386211343_thumb.jpg  this is the previous set up the carbon filter is being pushed through and its on the top of the robe.

post-48457-0-22829500-1386211555_thumb.jpg This is what I am doing at the moment.  The duct from the cf connects to the cooltube. (passive intake is under the cat tray on the floor, it isn't a fixture so air is not being restricted)  ...duct is connected to the other end of the 'tube and is fed through the top of the cab to the 125 centri and a bodged up silencer atm during trial period.  It was fun to make and does assist a bit...but not much lol

My acoustic duct just came...be nice to get em in there this w/end :thumbsup:

Peace. v :sun:

faith

• Upvote 2