Coco fert advice - Troforte M

I've read that coco can have cal / mag deficiencies.

As Frank has said coco specific nutirents will have enough Ca and Mg. The problem of deficiency is usually due to either using the a non coco specific nutrient or too high a starting pH with coco specific nutrients (Ca is only scantily available above a pH of 6.0, so this is more a mineral lockup than a deficiency... the syptoms will present the same).

Edited by louise

Hey Louise, you mentioned coco deficiencies from too high a pH. My tap water is like 150-200 ppm and has a pH of around 9.0 (usually between 8.7 and 9.0). I already have some pH down, and based on the water report for my area, my water is soft meaning lowering the pH (and keeping it down) wont be too hard (unlike hard water with high pH). Are there any nutes that may work better with this water (aka are there nutes that lower pH significantly that would mean less usage of pH down per feed)? I've got both a pH pen and an EC truncheon from bluelab so I'm not worried about controlling my feeding, but if a nute line means less adjusting I'm all for it :)

With the sheer amount of info here and online its so hard to make a decision! HG has a really good rep for beginners and overall quality / yield, although I still can't shake the temptation of getting powder nutes online and just mixing my own stuff daily (especially since I can control it with my meters). Most people still seem to recommend trusted brands like canna, HG, AN etc though, so I'm not sure if its just the limited range available to us here or whether its because the convenience / consistency of those brands really shines through. Thinking I should probably make my life easy and just start with a base combo a + b nutes. I am an information fiend however, so I don't mind doing the research if it means a better understanding of the process and better buds :)

Edited by M@d

I would recommend sticking with a pre made a+b if I was you will save a lot of hassle on the future. You will get great buds as long as genetics allow for it!!

in all honesty I wouldn't worry too much about brand name just get one of the above mentioned brands they will be very similar chemical make up and all will grow plants just fine

Thanks again for all the amazing input guys :) As this will be my first grow, I had planned on growing a bunch of bagseed and hoping that the dialed in grow room + quality coco setup would allow for a range of healthy plants (I have no idea what they will be). I guess this may be an issue in terms of deficiencies etc as ill be dealing with a range of genetics, and it'll probably make getting a good yield harder too. Since I have some seeds already ill probably stick to my guns unless you guys strongly advise getting my hands on some decent genetics? I guess if I was to go that route, id probably have to clone etc and I had just planned a seed to bloom grow for my first run.

After thinking this part through, along with your advice, ive decided to just focus on coco a + b premade nutes as suggested to allow for less hassles in the long run (especially if I'm running bagseed). I'll continue to scour the web for some deals on coco and nutes and let you guys know how I go! Stay tuned for pics in the grow section once everything is up and running :)