Coco fert advice - Troforte M

Hey blades, after a ton of research and weighing up pros / cons of coco nutes, I'm still overwhelmed with the sheer amount of info / bullshit info out there and can't decide on a decent nute line that isn't ridiculously expensive. I've looked at standard lines like canna, CNS, etc. but they all seem to be so unnecessarily expensive (especially due to where I live). I've looked at cheaper powder nutes like dyna gro and jacks classic citrus feed but again, being in australia means somewhat limited options and I can't warrant paying more for postage than the product itself (may aswell go with the super expensive canna then).

I've found a brand of fertiliser at a local shop, its called Troforte M. They stock a few different ferts, but the two base nutes I was looking at are for roses and citrus trees respectively. I'm after some opinions on the overall makeup of these nutes (see pics below) and how they would run with mag / cal buffered coco. I believe their aimed at soil, but it being powder + having 3:1:3 ratios of NPK (approx) made me intrigued.

First pic is rose formula, second is for citrus.

Thanks guys :)

post-52489-0-47485300-1385092545_thumb.jpg

post-52489-0-01663100-1385092576_thumb.jpg

I use that stuff on my garden, and veggies in pots. Very exxo product cos it has added myco. I am assuming you are doing an outdoor run in pots, if that's the case I would use potting mix as a base mix in coco perlite and that feet will grow plants.

now if you wanna do hydro, a 1L set will cost you $40 + postage very similar proce to what I paid for that CRF that's what I would recommend doong

Hey Frank, thanks for the quick reply! I should've been more clear in what exactly my setup is. This is an indoor coco grow under a 600w HPS, hand watering drain to waste (this will be my first grow). I know that most people use powder for outdoor grows whereas it seems liquid nutes are the standard indoor method. I guess what appealed to me is the simplicity and cost of the powder nutes like jacks and Troforte. From a purely chemistry perspective, I can't see much difference other than the water content in the liquid nutes and some nutes are designed for coco, some for soil etc (based on medium requirements). If this is the case, what's the difference between bottled nutes like canna coco a + b and powdered nutes? (Please correct me if I misunderstood!)

Sorry if this is a retarded question but you mentioned CRF for a hydro setup. What is CRF? Haha

Hopefully that clears up a few things and makes answering my questions a tad less like driving blind!

Edited by M@d

There is no difference between 'powdered' hydro nutes and liquid ones, one jsut comes iwth added water you are paying for guess which one lol

What you want is a nute designed for coco specifically, short story more calcium less potassium, unfortunetly I do not know of a coco specific powdered nute available yet :(

Now I would not be using slow release fertilisers, you are controlling every other aspect of your plants life, why not fine tune its feeding.

Mixing x amount of nute into y amount of water isn't that hard, and if your smart with your pot size choices you can have flowering plants still go 5 - 6 days between feeds easy.

In short get liquid nutes, save the slow release for the veggie patch or pots outside.

Hope this helped dude

cheers 

edit* sorry bro CRF just stands for controlled release fertillizer

Edited by Frank Reynolds

Hey Frank, thanks again for all the info! I didn't even notice the slow release... Too busy looking at NPK etc amounts hahaha. Damn sucks on the lack of powder nutes for coco! I was told both dynagro and jacks classic citrus feED are decent coco powder nutes, but I'm yet to find a place that sells them in aus :(

I guess ill reread the official coco thread and see what people recommend liquid wise unless anyone has any other powder options :)

Thanks again Frank

Ok cool, funnily enough I just read your post re canna and HG in the coco thread haha. My hydro store has both, so I guess ill go with HG because its cheaper and they said they had better results than with canna. They have 5kg waytogrow coco bricks that ill probably get aswell. I've read sometimes this stuff is cheaper to buy online and get shipped than locally? Any advice on that front? Prices ive seen online are definitely cheaper, but not sure once you incorporate shipping seems pretty negligible. I plan to buy like 10kg of coco brick (120L expanded total approx.), the 5L veg / bloom combo and probably some cal / mag supplement. Am I missing anything? Based on the wealth of info you've provided on this site I'd love to pick your brain a little before purchasing hahaha!

Hey mate,

re buying locally versus internet, for blocks of coco I'd go local unless you find some crazy deal online including postage, make sure it's coco made for hydro.

if your getting h&g or canna you should not be getting a veg and flower bute, rather you need there coco specific a+b nutrient which you will use during flower and veg. The calmag won't be needed if you buy coco specific nutes!

cheers

Ok great ill suss out some online stuff ive seen and figure out what's best. Always good quality coco, CBF with all the flushing etc to save $10. As for the nutes, I meant the coco specific combo, again I CBF playing around with volumes to get it right for coco, rather spend $10 more. I've read that coco can have cal / mag deficiencies. The one ive looked at comes buffered with both cal and mag and my tap water (approx. 200 ppm) has decent amounts of both too so maybe I can save on the cal / mag as you suggested. If you say ill be sweet with the coco specific nutes, ill take your advice and skip it :)

A friend mentioned he saw a nutrifield coco + their coco a + b combo online for a good price. I've seen good things on here, any experience with their products? I'm still thinking HG just because of their reputation atm. Thanks again for all the advice bro!