Planning to switch to LED grow lights. Your Opinions/Suggestions/Exper

First of all I want say sorry If this has already been discussed somewhere on this Forum. One of my friend is considering growing with LED lights instead of HID or flouro's. Regrettably, I am not savvy with LED lights, so I could most definitively use some experienced info.

He is planning to get an full spectrum LED light for 60 sq. ft. room with the recommended 3k lumens per sq. ft. coverage plan. I did some look around for him but still what could be more valuable than shared Experiences and so here I am. Lend me your expertise to make the right decision ! :unknw:

Hi Hashcraze,

From all reports the technology of LED cannot and does not meet the intensity of HID. HID has a high penetration rate that LED can not equal. LED's can be superbright at close range but they lose that intensity fairly quickly with distance. When going to flower you need that intensity to form nice dense, solid bud. From what I have seen both here and on other sites LED buds do not have that density. I use HPS start to finish, this gives me a nice dense veg and a nice bud. It also gives me a nice big powerbill but in my view it is well worth it. I run 4x600 in a 3 x 3 x 3m room. For my setup and light needs I would be needing  my whole roof covered in LEDs, and the ability to lower them all to within cm of the canopy. For me its just not practical. I know I'll get a big bill and I pay it. Simple. I want/need quality so HID the whole way. IMHO

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 3

Hi Hashcraze,

L.E.D is very new technology, and the statements above are correct

.. its the watts/ and penetration of light and heat sinking which has been the downfall of L.E.D lights so far.. .

http://www.blackdogled.com/bd450-u.html

and as with all new technology, it costs a arm and a leg.. heres a link , they want  $1,299.00 plus delivery for a light big enough to grow in 1.2x1.2x2.0m space.and its a 450wLED to replace a 600wHID...

basically plants see two different frequencys of light, a 'red' band and a 'blue' band. in vege it reacts mainly to  the blue frequency and in flower in reacts to mainly to the red. any light your HID bulb produces in colours outside these bands is wasted unused light, and is mainly used by us, to see our lovely plants..

The main difference with the LED bulb, is that it only produces the band 'red' and 'blue'  and there is no wasted light being produced... 

basically... if money is no object and heat is your biggest problem..buy one..  lol

but for now ill be sticking with my carpark light ( HPS.) its more than i need, for what i do.. lol

Peace

Vape4life.

• Upvote 1

Hi Hash I grew with led for a year, it was ok.

Then I used led in conjunction with a 400watt hps, Wow!

Then I went to a 600watt hps, the buds I am getting are as thick as my arm. I now use ceramic metal halide and HPS 400w and 600w respectivly.

The plants I was getting 50 to 60 gramms off now give 200 grams plus. I dont remember where I put the led light now.

• Upvote 2

Hi to everyone, I will be starting a grow journal with my first grow.......I'm using a 320 watt actual draw led and 130 watt cfl. I will start a journal tonight so you can follow my grow and see the results with an led, bear in mind this is my first grow but should give you an insight to what they can and can't do.

I'm two weeks into flower and chose led for heat problems I was having with a 400hps. Where abouts do impost a grow journal? Cheers

Oskie

Hi to everyone, I will be starting a grow journal with my first grow.......I'm using a 320 watt actual draw led and 130 watt cfl. I will start a journal tonight so you can follow my grow and see the results with an led, bear in mind this is my first grow but should give you an insight to what they can and can't do.

I'm two weeks into flower and chose led for heat problems I was having with a 400hps. Where abouts do impost a grow journal? Cheers

Oskie

Hey Oskie you can start a diary here    https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/forum/99-cannabis-grow-diaries/

• Upvote 1