Worst Soil Choice I'll Ever Make

I'm 3 weeks into veg and things are going swimmingly, mostly because my trees have caught wet feet.  I mixed 1:1 Roots Organic Potting Soil and Moisture Max Potting Mix.  Yeah....  I mixed them in a Mason's tumbler and the Moisture Max about trashed the whole batch; did I mention that this is my first grow.  That tops the charts for mistakes I've made thus far.  Too compensate I water small amounts more frequently and it works okay, but if i had to do a serious flush it would take three weeks to dry out.  Essentially I think the Moisture Max is for people who forget to water their houseplants.  Then again if you have to leave your grow for extended periods it may have some viability.

Indoors or outdoors, I'd be repotting asap in to something with much better drainage/less water retaining properties.

If you're indoors, I'd recommend either straight coco, or an approximately 60/40 mix of coco/perlite. And not the Bunnings perlite either, it's far to fine.
You'll want to get your hands on some course grade perlite, available at all good hydroponic stores.
Personally, I use coco bricks (with NO additives, slow release ferts and the like), soak em and flush em. I've had no issues with them.
I also use a roughly 60/40 coco/perlite mix.

If you're outside, I honestly do not know which potting mix (or mix of mixes) you should use.
I have an assortment of potted plants (my "legals" i call em) and tend to use the Searles Premium Potting Mix. This DOES have slow release ferts in it.
I mix it 3:1 with mushroom compost or Searles 5 in 1, depending on what I have at the time, and then mix THAT blend about 5:1 with perlite. The same stuff I use for my indoor garden.

I hope some of this helps.

Good luck with your garden!

:freak:
Katt.

For the price of potting mix and the issues you have with it. Its better to go with a medium. If you are 100% set on soil, potting mix is a fucking joke. Best bet is to go to your local landscaping store, put a tarp in the back of your car ( I have done it in my missus little shit box car once ). And buy there Premo soil, 1000% better then any potting mix you can get. Some good places will even tell you the average PH level of the soil and if you need to add sand ect. Last time I bough it, drove in said I was making a veggy garden for my mother. They where so helpful, told me the PH approx, said to add some sand. Which was easy as they had a bobcat there so i shoveled sand and soil into the bobby and he mixed it. Also he said if i wanted to really impress my mother. Was to add mushroom compost, which I replayed stuff playing that much for that at bunnings. Which he replayed there is a dude that sells it for 1$ 45 mins away. Was happy as a pig is shit.

If any one is in the Gold coast Brizzy area the Mushroom compost in the MT Cotton area, 1$ a bag. And he sells it by the pallet load. And 3 km down the road is the worm dude that sells worms!!!! If you need address just message me. 

Potting mixes are fine, I find it is the way they are stored at the shops that is the defining factor. Take bunnings for example, my local has large bags of all potting mixes/ manures outside. For this reason I won't buy any of the crap that has been subjected to countless days completely saturated with water, as they are anarobic.

otherwise I have grown veggies to canna in premium potting mix, am now using the shitty stuff adding coco and controlled release ferts and a bit of lime shit grows heaps good