Smoking While Pregnant.

Should Women be allowed to risk abortion?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm for it if it helps with chronic morning sickness. Beats having a dangerous anti-nausea injected into your bum EVERY DAY!! Especially if you suffer all day/night sickness and you end up in hospital multiple times from dehydration ;) It can get pretty awful. I actually LOST weight in the first 4 months from spewing so hard!

Buddy, you're head must have exploded by now hehehehe :o

Hey ya'll

I gotta say, I'm dead against pregnant women doing drugs, if they want to carry the child to full term. However, i voted 'yes' in the above poll....

I voted yes because nobody should prohibit or disallow any decision of any free person about their own self. This naturally includes women, and I believe that the decision about herself and her body (and by proxy, child).

Of course, I wouldn't *recommend* it.

My mum smoked ciggies when I was in utero, and I have asthma. After having me, she quit cigs and the 3 kids that came after never had asthma. Not that thats conclusive, but I tend to think that any drug should be refrained from, strictly because the decision is being made for 2 people.

We all know what alcoholism does to unborn kids. Major problems, as alcohol in the bloodstream effectively 'cooks' the foetus.

That probably sounds stupid to some, but I rationalize smoking bud and other drugs because I do it to myself and nobody else. I would wonder if I'd have asthma had my mum not smoked while she was pregnant with me, but back in the day smoking was normal so you only have culture to blame.

And thankfully, I'm a bloke so I can't get pregnant. I might have a beer belly, but theres no kids in there, just a whole lot of beer.

I don't know if there is any health risk with any particular drug, but when you're talking about the life of your children, isn't it best to err on the side of caution?

On a side note, has anyone got any studies about the sperm count of weed smokers? There were some 70's era myths stating that it lowers sperm count, and to the best of my knowledge thats a crock... cause thats another aspect ya'll might wanna consider if ur trying to concieve :)

Good aphrodisiac it may be, but one doesn't want to shoot blanks, no? :)

On the other hand, if u give up smoking bud while preggers, you not only get to look forward to dropping the bundle in 9 months, but also the first, sweet sweet cone...

-D

Ok first up

'New scientist' magazine is SHIT SHIT SHIT

in scientific discourse that mag has the credibility of "new dawn" or TV week

Take note!

the didnt even use cannabis! in that study

they used rats!

In the study, pregnant rats were injected with a low dose of an artificial cannabinoid.

Now unlike them im not going to assume that because i have a degree and put on a white coat that i have some divine authority vested in me to be right

the root problem of this study is thus

1.didnt use humans

2. didnt use Cannabis

= Bogus study

= fuck off and go do it properly you silly twat

Luckily thats already been done.

with humans and with cannabis

the results were quite different

there was only one minor difference in one aspect of a test up untio 3 years of age and that was not concrete

the end conclusion is that cannabis is a remarkably safe medication during pregnancy and much safer to the newborn and mother than most pharmaceuticals given!

Cannabis and the human female are remarkably compatible. If anything lookig into it makes you think that maybe us fellsas should back off the herb and leave it to the girls

heres one of the better REAL studies

http://www.rism.org/isg/dlp/ganja/analyses/GanjaBabyes.html

why?

cannabinoid receptors. The human brain has cannabinoid receptor but youll be suprised to realise that they are minor in comparison to how many there are in a womans body. shes packed with them

The uterus especially has loads of them

and this is why cannabis can be so usefu in increasing uterine contractions to speed delivery and expel the placenta

and also to modulate crams and pain in pregnancy

it also helps quell nausea, increase apetite during morning sickness - which can be extreme for some women

Its also a mood lifter during pregnancy and after birth when depression caused by hormonal flux can make women suicidal

and for all this its one of the safet most relaible and cheap medicines available.

its so perfect in fact that the eggheads refuse to accept it, instead claiming we can derive NEW drugs from it. why? because its avoids the poltical problem of having to say its safe and they were wrong and it should be legal. and you cant make $ from a natural drug- you have to be able to patent it to make $

and babies?

""The relatively low and regionally selective appearance of cannabinoid receptors in the fetal human brain may explain the relatively mild and selective nature of postnatal neurobehavioral deficits observed in infants exposed to cannabinoids in utero" (Biegon and Kerman 2001)."

http://www.drugscience.org/sfu/sfu_longterm.htm

by the time they are born they have a few and the womans body will release natural cannabinoids in the breastmilk that encourage the infant to want to suckle - which it has never done before.

(YES! there is a REASON you get the munchies! its an inbuilt way cannabinoids afect you that you needed in the first few days of life - an effect put to good use in people with wasting diseases, old age and chemo when they lose apetite)

and children

In one study, children of ganja-using mothers were tested and compared with children of non-ganja using mothers. Tests were conducted when the children were 1, 3, and 30 days old, and at ages four and five.

No statistically significant differences in developmental abilities were found, except that the 30-day test showed that children of ganja-using mothers were superior to children of non-ganja mothers in two ways. These children had better organization and modulation of sleeping and waking, and they were less prone to stress-related anxiety.

so here we have Direct HUMAN evidence contradicting RAT evidence

even scientists themselves dispute the usefulness of animal studies

Much of the research into the effects of cannabinoids on the brain is based on animal studies. Many speakers at the public workshops associated with this study argued that animal studies of marijuana are not relevant to humans. Animal studies are not a substitute for clinical trials, but they are a necessary complement.

http://newton.nap.edu/html/marimed/ch2.html

stick that in your pipe :)

Ill have another gripe too

as Weed smokers (i am not anymore)

arent you sick of other people having votes and debates on what you should be allowed to do with your body?

yes?

well thats just what this thread is doing.

Let the girls make up their own minds based on real research

historical evidence pointing to the long use of cannabis in obstetrics and gynaecology as well as the existing published human studies are biased towards the conclusion that cannabis is one of the safest and most specific treatmnets for many female ailments.

i am totally aware of the potential for cannabis abuse especially amongst teenagers and young adults and this needs to be addressed but like the booze most people can manage it and can even (horror) use it to enhance their life.

in small amounst it can be GOOD for you (like with food)

we have aproblem that we blanket label all weed use as abuse and its not

some use it for pleasure and some use it for pleasure and as a self medication for an ailment.

I dont use anymore and havent for nearly 10 years.

But i am the proud father of a very bright and happy cannababy

and im a uni graduate and consider myself mentally sound and intelligent

and i know for a fact that cannabis use amongst expectant mothers in my and my partneres family extends at least 2 generations

so if there was creedence to the warnings youd expect less of me than i am

If your lady is having problems in pregnancy like morning sickeness roll her a small J - no tobacco. Just a few puffs can work wonders

If you dont want to smoke then use alcohol and make a tincture to tak eunder the tongue or in a drink. The amount needed as medicine isnt even necessarily a stoning dose - moderate as you feel the need for relief

if you want to red more get this book

http://www.haworthpress.com/store/product.asp?sku=4836

so thats that

i hope i taught you some shit you didnt already know :thumbsup

There is no evidence that I'm aware of linking the drugs in marijuana to serious medical conditions in unborn children. Thats not to say it doesn't exist. We do however know for a fact that inhaling any kind of smoke can cause premature births and health problems for growing fetuses. Marijuana or Tobacco should be avoided by pregnant mothers but this isn't always the case.

So should Mothers be allowed to smoke while pregnant or should it be outlawed? Be aware that excessive smoking could lead to abortions. Freedom to smoke and risk abortion or freedom from risk for unborn children? Currently there is no law against smoking tobacco while pregnant.

i just wanna say that if you compare the weight of a newborn baby who's mother smoked pot during the pregnancy, with one who's didn't, the latter would be fukken heaps heavier!

i just wanna say that if you compare the weight of a newborn baby who's mother smoked pot during the pregnancy, with one who's didn't, the latter would be fukken heaps heavier!
FUCKING BULLSHIT MAN!! ::): ::): :( My son was 9 pound 6 oz (4.25kg) That's over 2 pounds or 1kg the average :whistling lol Try and do some of your OWN research, don't just believe everything you read that some doctor/scientist has written.

I'd personally trust in pot over the 'traditional medicine' way.