First Time Grow

Hi All,

I'm very new to all this and I was wondering if anyone has had any success planting into abandoned bush turkey nests? These things are easily 3 meters across and maybe 2-4 feet high. The composition of the soil is loose but heavily humus based & rich in composted organic matter, seems like it would be the perfect medium and also very easy to dig into. I would assume one plant per plot would suffice and also how far can pollen travel, I've found 5 plots and the closest between the two would be 2km?

Any feedback would be great.

If you disturb the nest they will return and make it higher probably covering the plants.

I would definitely use the compost from the nest for growing though as its 100% organic.

Find a nice spot that gets plenty of north facing sun and easy access to water. 

By the end of summer the weeds should grow around your plants and hide them as long as you don't have 100's clumped together.

The more grow spots you have the less likely to lose all of it to rippers.

I would also use some pegged chicken wire in a circle around the plant to keep the wildlife from eating your babies.

Fold the top of the wire in to stop roos from biting off the top it will eventually grow through itself. Also handy to stop big feet breaking the stem.

Some people say its not very stealthy but its better than losing a health plant.

2 weeks till spring so get cracking.

Cheers for the advice Goonie,

Seems I must’ve jumped the gun and gone and disturbed two nests this afternoon, I’m pretty sure the birds are long gone, I haven’t spotted any in the area for 3 years. No new leaf litter either, just pure mounds of prime compost. As i was digging the second hole i came across a huge yam thicker than my arm, may have to raid some of this compost for the taters back home. I hope this is a good sign of what is to come.

I don't think rippers are my real issues, these spots are really remote and mostly animals will be my big problem, i can cart water in my knapsack up to 20 litres a time, so five litres per plant if i get four females ( fingers crossed).  What would be a good alternative other than chicken wire? I’ve heard certain scents could do the trick or perhaps fishing line?

p.s. I wont be able to start germination until Oct, will this be a big problem or will they catch up easily?

post-51181-0-18908600-1376387952_thumb.jpg

Sometimes turkey nests appear unused I know mine did. If its getting plenty of sun go for it.

The sooner the planting usually the larger the plant. I would grow a few seedling with some small tomato plants till their big enough to transplant to the bush and also top them so they don't get to tall.

Outdoor growing is very much controlled by the weather.

Constant rain can fuck you over late in budding. If you're in a dry area plants can need a ton of water late in life.

post-50343-0-65440500-1376543788_thumb.jpg

I’ve noticed that you have an individual cage for your plant, is this the best way to protect them or would a bigger space say 2.5m x 2.5m be ideal especially when accounting for males in the crop...obviously you could fit more plants in that space but i really would just like 1 modest sized plant per plot so it may be unnecessary and it would be easier to individually wrap them like you have.

Also the reasoning for starting in Oct is I’m heading off for three weeks in September, I am contemplating getting some heavy grade mesh to make a cage over some seedlings that could hold a full 30liter container using a drip every 5 seconds for constant moisture, according to my calcs this could last them 29 days with 860 ml a day, would this work or could damping off be an issue. Would this work?

My plan of attack this weekend is to get the plots all ready for transplanting when necessary, I’ll dig 3 feet x 3 feet hole in the turkey nests as the main plant plot, filling this with a mix of, 50% turkey nest compost, 25% fatty loam from the local creek bank and 25% potting mix, adding to this two handfuls of mudgee dolomite lime, two handfuls of blood n bone covering all this with lucerne mulch.  During the grow I mainly want to use biodynamic preparations and composted chook shit for N. Will get some photos when all this is done. All that would need doing then is deciding on pest control ad get growing based on the advice from the above query.

I’ll look into topping more over the next few days but looks pretty simple to me.

I managed to get out today and sort out my holes

Below is the first plot...as you can see I have one big hole and two slightly smaller ones this is prior to filling with potting mix, blood n bone and dolomite

post-51181-0-39614700-1376727715_thumb.jpg

next, this is the compost from the turkeys nest as you can see its quite dry and loose looks like good stuff though easy for roots to get through. Below is the before and after applying a gentle push to crumble the clod.

post-51181-0-07710000-1376727879_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-23533900-1376727925_thumb.jpg

next, potting mix in the hole. the big hole needed 66 liters and 22 in each of the smaller ones and some handfuls of blood n bone in each

post-51181-0-16914800-1376727951_thumb.jpg

holes watered

post-51181-0-47423500-1376727974_thumb.jpg

fence up, eventually I will get individual fences around each hole

post-51181-0-24024500-1376727995_thumb.jpg

Plot 2

post-51181-0-24024500-1376727995_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-20727000-1376728017_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-18318600-1376728036_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-05836300-1376728055_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-52601500-1376728075_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

If I could give just one tip it would be to plant a lot more than you'll think you'll need. By the time you get rid of the males and hermies and the ones the roo trod on and the stunted ones you could be left with just 2.

Just enough to keep you going till xmas and your back trying to score again down some dark alley with money you cant afford.

Hey all,

Well i've been back nearly two weeks and I've started 12 plants comprising of 5 anonymous bagseed, 2 white widow x skunk#1 reg, 2 ak48 fem, and 3 royal jack autofems.

At the moment all the bagseeds are in the ground and two seem to have been nibbled by something so i have given all a dusting of diatematious earth to hopefully remedy this issue.

Also I have planted two others....of which strain i cannot be certain because dumbass here decided to put them in jiffy pellets into a tray, label them up nicely only to have the wind come blow them all over causing a mix up, oh well i guess i can only learn.

Now i have one query there seems to be either a WWxSK#1, AK48 or RJA with three baby leaves...now i cannot seem to find any other pics of this and i was wondering if anyone else has had this before, whether it poses a problem or whether i'm in for a treat?

post-51181-0-42487000-1381105270_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-20998200-1381105310_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-00038400-1381105380_thumb.jpgpost-51181-0-81111900-1381105430_thumb.jpg