Growing and Keeping a Mother

Hey Peeps,

I hope I am in the right place for posting this but here goes nothing.

I am wanting to grow a "Mother Plant" so that I can have a steady supply of clones.

The first thing I would like to know is what is the minimum amount of light required to keep just the one plant alive and in a vegitive state. I was thinking of something along the lines of a "Compact Fluro" ???

The next thing would be it is neccesary to grow a "Mother" I am struggling allot with this part, some people say you do not need to keep the original mother while others say you do. For exmaple:

I have heard and read that you grow a Mother that is female that way every cutting you take from her is a female right??

Then if you keep the original you will not have any defects or problems ???

Then there is the option that you just take a heap of cutting, keep the best cutting for the new mother and that way you dont have to try and keep one plant alive for a long period of time (years) ???? With this example I have been told it is not the best option as you can get DNA break down?? It was told to me in the way of photo coping you dont photo copy a copy you always photo copy the original???

Any way I thought I would try and get a little more help rather than going to allot of trouble for no reason at all.

Look forward to the knowlegde that everyone has to offer and thanks in advance.

Cheers

CowBoyDave

Keep it Real and Stay Green

:pimp:

Heya Dave =) , Mate a 80w Philips cfl will keep a mother going and do a tray of clones, 2 will let  ya keep one or two more mums and let ya clone.

Lots of old wives tales about cloning and reduced potency... lot of bollocks, if the clone is an exact genetic copy of the parent, it is the same. i think some peoples tolerance just builds over time. Your safe to at least 10 generations on the original mum.

I actually clone my mum, when clone roots, you use clone as new mum, and flower the old mum, easy, and saves ya space in veg area, also giving you a bigger plant to flower.

There is so much hearsay and bullshit on the net Dave, not hard to become confused.

Just remember, clone 2 when ya need one.... just in case, and don't flower ya mum until the clones root.... so if ya have a fubar, you can just take another clone A.S.A.P.

Peace. Nibbler.

• Upvote 6

Hey Dave

I would just get a 80w Phillips for a mother plant , i think you can get them for under 100$ with a reflector from site sponsor . Low energy consumption and plants love it .

The cutting you choose as a mother will have the exact same genetics as plant it is taken from . If you take a good strong cutting from a good branch and 1 from a tiny twig of a branch , aslong as they root the genetics ( which is what you want preserve ) will be the same   . Whether your mother is from seed or a cutting will make no difference.

If was looking to keep a mother for some time i would spend my time picking the right strain , then plant as many as i could flower at 1 time and pick the best   performer for what i would wish to achieve .   

Dont know any thing about DNA break down maybe another member can pipe in . 

• Upvote 2

What some people are referring to as 'DNA breakdown' could have something to do with Epigenetic shift. This (basically) is where gene expression or phenotype are affected by environmental conditions.

I'm not saying that taking cuttings of cuttings will do this, just that if the phenomenon does indeed exist this could provide a reasonable explanation.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 1

:) have to agree with most of the above posts, the only thing I'd add is that once the original mother gets a bit of age on it the luminous intensity from the cfl may not be enough to keep it in veg, regardless of the hours of light. The answer is to do as Nibbler said and flower the mum and keep the clones turning over. You'll be flat out keeping the same mother plant from tripping into flower after 12 months. That's what I've encountered myself anyway :)

DNA breakdown or 'genetic drift' as some call it... it's a load of shit. As I remember, this term became a favourite line of seed merchants in the early days in an attempt to drum up more sales... could be wrong of course, but I doubt it :good:

What some people are referring to as 'DNA breakdown' could have something to do with Epigenetic shift. This (basically) is where gene expression or phenotype are affected by environmental conditions.

I'm not saying that taking cuttings of cuttings will do this, just that if the phenomenon does indeed exist this could provide a reasonable explanation.

Naycha :peace:

Spot on :good: :)

Easy as Bentato :thumbsup: , Just been fine tuning mine.... lol .

You need a Cupboard, small tent or similiar space. I  use a small 150x 500mm carbon filter (clones and mums still stink, not as bad as in flower, but its there).

I just use a 150mm inline on it, passive intake, vent for intake is around 200mm (diameter) .

With the CFL's ya dont need to go overboard with ventilation, the heats there but not like a HID. Even 2 with that ventilation is sweet.

I am about to build another cupboard, as old faithful has just about had it, this ones a lil bigger, and might be allowed inside.... lol

Mother on man. :peace: Nibbler.