Preventing disease before it spreads

Just a thought I had today while driving down south and remembered when I was young would do the same thing with my old boy, when driving through the wineries I noticed before and after each row of grapes was a rose bush. The reason behind this is any pest or diseases will attack the rose bush first giving the grower enough time to treat his grapes accordingly.

Why not apply the same principle to growing in a decent size room cause to me really no point if you have a couple plants easier to check them thoroughly yourself, but if you have a nice size grow room why not chuck couple extra roses in each corner. Maybe roses won't work but sure there is another plant that could take its place.

Cheers haze

Seems counter productive to me. I found after a couple of grows you get a feel for the plants and growroom and notice small changes very quickly. Part of the learning curve is getting to know your plants and learning to read the cues given off by the plants.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 3

Hi Haze,

if your growing inside,  most of any disease/pest type problem you'll have will be introduced by you going in and out of the tent/room.. if you make sure your room is clean and your hygiene is good, and do the right thing before entering and touching your plants, and there will be no need for a system like the vineyards use.. thats the beauty of growing indoors, your in almost  total control.

good luck with it all..

Vape for life ..

Peace..

P.S tip. i screen my intake with panty hose, helps filter dirt , dust, hair..ect,  its not a hepa filter but.. its better than nothin.

• Upvote 1

Roses are more vulnerable to fungal attacks than grapes... thus, when the roses develop Black Spot the viticulturist knows s/he needs to spray with a fungicide.

Can't really see it being of much use indoors where the climate is more under the control of the grower.

Seems counter productive to me. I found after a couple of grows you get a feel for the plants and growroom and notice small changes very quickly. Part of the learning curve is getting to know your plants and learning to read the cues given off by the plants.

Naycha :peace:

+27 :toke: happy sunday mornign!  :sun:

Just an observation. Growing some herbs at the moment. Also dealing with a pest issue, mites and gnats. The thing I notice is with the Dill and Peppermint. The mites and gnats don't like em. Pure and simple, and the pots nearest to them have little activity. The other thing I have noticed is with the marjoram. Mites love it, more than the afghani clone residing amongst the herbs. Perhaps a marjoram plant, put near a might infestested cannabis plant, may attract the mites to the marjoram instead of the cannabis?
  • Upvote 1

This idea is called companion planting. There was a thread here a year or so ago about using other plants to either assist in growth or help keep bugs at bay. Search for 'companion planting' and you should find it :) Edited by nici

Yea salpon was kinda thinking would be good for large scale something like a big warehouse, would be great for dispensaries in America.

Hey burner great observation might be a good idea to have a couple of marjoram just in case I encounter a problem touch wood lol. But like what most people say best prevention is clean, neat, tidy room. Nice tip vape I use a off cut off 90T screenprinting mesh as a screen works exactly the same mate.

Haze

Cannabis has few pests that we have to worry about indoors... mites often turn up when clones are traded between growers but a couple of sprays with Mite-Rid soons breaks their breeding cycle.

Fungus gnats will turn up in a sealed room regardless of how many filters are placed over the inlet vents, they will cruise in at ease when the human does the watering if they can smell stinky roots for dinner... no stinky roots = no food = no gnats, simple :)

White fly are probably the only pest that inlet filters seem to stop.

My view is that maintaining a healthy root zone and growing enviroment, as Louise touched on, is the simplest and most effective method for dealing with pests.